Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to choose a fork?

• 14-05-2010 7:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi ..
    Due to a recent meeting with the tarmac, the forks on my bike needs to be replaced. The bike is a surly cross check.

I could go off and get an original replacement like this.

But I am thinking, this could be an opportunity to take some weight off the bike. This would save 0.3kgs at pretty much the same cost and would take fatty tyres too .. not upto the same limit as Surly, but atleast a 32 with mudguards.

This is where things start going hazy. The 2nd one has 5mm longer axle to crown length, but a fairly similar rake. I have seen a few other options on CRC, Wiggle and Planet X site with upto +/-20mm difference in axle to crown height.

Now I am not sure how much of an impact will this have. Will I just have to get the saddle flat once again and that should be it or will it impact handling, weight on the front vs back etc massively. Will it change comfort in any way?

Its the canti stubs on the fork which are broken. I am assuming it will be difficult to fix them for too much cheaper than what I can get a replacement. And if anyone has any lying around, let me know.

Thanks, SC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Quick question ..

If I am getting a new fork, but have no problems with the existing headset .. do I have to get a complete new headset ... or is there a way I can only get the crown race for the new fork, or can the crown race be removed from the current fork and fitted to the new one.

Thanks, -SC

Technically you can certainly use a common crown race, I have them on my track/road forks no bother. As long as they are the same you can swap the forks. But I did have to buy a whole new headset to get the spare crown race. Couldn't find it spare. Headset was in the £20 range. Incidentally I have the whole rest of the headset other than the crown race now :)

Meant to add- the crown race CAN be removed, but you need a tool to do it. Or a sense of adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

I might just buy it locally ... and see if the shop will fit it for free. Last time, i got the headset cheap, but couldn't fit the sucker in and ended up paying the same for fitting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement