Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear plugs for dogs?

Options
  • 14-05-2010 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

That may sound odd, but our noise sensitive collie is having a bad time. Someone is using a crowbanger nearby at random times; eg today from one in the morning onwards, and she is terrorised.

It has been going on for weeks; we cannot see where the din is coming from because of the terrain up here.

Just thinking of all possibilities to help the poor girl.

She is over 8 and so badly abused that nothing helps when she is like this.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I have no idea if you can get such a thing, but I kinda doubt it. Poor dog, that must be awful for her and you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Probably not the best idea to put ear plugs in, like ones humans would use, as they could fall in further or something.
    Upon googling, there is a product called Mutt Muffs - not cheap, but gives you an idea of what it should be like. And also that they would have to be supervised if you're compromising their hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

morganafay wrote: »
    I have no idea if you can get such a thing, but I kinda doubt it. Poor dog, that must be awful for her and you.

Thanks... Why anyone needs to use such a thing at all; the consensus is that they don't work anyways.

We have an appeal out on the two local radio stations to try to find this thing.

She has been so much better with all the care; this is setting her back badly. None of the vets her will prescribe anything; hoping to get some meds in from relatives in Canada.

star-pants wrote: »
    Probably not the best idea to put ear plugs in, like ones humans would use, as they could fall in further or something.
    Upon googling, there is a product called Mutt Muffs - not cheap, but gives you an idea of what it should be like. And also that they would have to be supervised if you're compromising their hearing.

Just found those myself; thanks.

Anything will only ever be used when this..... thing is there. Thankfully we have a field here so the dogs run free and are never out of sight.

She cannot go on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

get a dessabell meter and stick it as close to the property with the device with out actualy being on it , take the reading and report the farmer ,

or if you feel you can talk to the farmer then try that first (personaly i would go and disconect the device we are talking about the one with the gas bottek arnt we ??)

• Advertisement

get a dessabell meter and stick it as close to the property with the device with out actualy being on it , take the reading and report the farmer ,

or if you feel you can talk to the farmer then try that first (personaly i would go and disconect the device we are talking about the one with the gas bottek arnt we ??)

So far we are unable to locate the place. we are in serious mountain country. If I knew, I would have no problem disconnecting it. Believe me!

There is no road in that direction so it means using the main road then seeking that way.

It is so erratic and random; we do have friends keeping an ear out and we even asked the postman.

Reading around, you "can" make earplugs with cotton wool etc. Anything is worth a try. There will be valium coming in from Canada for her soon; at this rate 'tis I who will need it;)

Most hope is via the radio stations. They could hardly hear me speak for the dog yelping and barking.

Maybe he came in from the pub and decided to play with it... One am...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

it might also be worth putting up flyers on the local shop/church notice board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Perhaps try to desensitise the poor dog to the noise - I know there are cds available for halloween bangers, the noise of a crow banger is essentially the same so it may be a good idea to use the cd. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I remember some people using cotton wool for horses sensitive to sound, especially if they had to go in parades etc. They put it in the ear and then put hoods over the ears also. A dog is a bit trickier....maybe ask the vat if there is anything specifically designed from a medical angle..

the banger would need to on top of you house to reach the level on a monitor to be considered a problem.
    we did have to report a farmer before to the CoCo as the banger was going off right through the night every 3 minutes. i had no intention of trying to find the particular farmer but the Council sorted it straight away.

Edit- i just re-read your post that it is at 1am...you do not need a noise monitor for that, I would be straight onto the council environmental section and tell them you have not slept for 3 weeks.....dont mention the dog as they will not take that seriously i am sure!

Perhaps try to desensitise the poor dog to the noise - I know there are cds available for halloween bangers, the noise of a crow banger is essentially the same so it may be a good idea to use the cd. Worth a try.

Thank you. However this girl is way beyond that kind of help; we have a dog expert to hand who knows her.

If you ask google re collies /thunder you will see how bad they can be; some have died of the terror.

There are some who will never be any better.

We almost had to let her go two years ago; such was the constant terror. But she had been so much better with a good quality of life .

Now she has regressed badly; she was so abused for so many years and it has been a struggle with her.

The odd thunderstorm we can cope with, but this is night after night etc.

The only thing that will help is eg valium; our local vets are not good with dogs and we can get no help, but meds will be here in a few days.

Deafness would be a blessing for this girl.

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »
    I remember some people using cotton wool for horses sensitive to sound, especially if they had to go in parades etc. They put it in the ear and then put hoods over the ears also. A dog is a bit trickier....maybe ask the vat if there is anything specifically designed from a medical angle..

the banger would need to on top of you house to reach the level on a monitor to be considered a problem.
    we did have to report a farmer before to the CoCo as the banger was going off right through the night every 3 minutes. i had no intention of trying to find the particular farmer but the Council sorted it straight away.

Edit- i just re-read your post that it is at 1am...you do not need a noise monitor for that, I would be straight onto the council environmental section and tell them you have not slept for 3 weeks.....dont mention the dog as they will not take that seriously i am sure!

We have contacted the council; waiting to hear, but we cannot find the *********

ppink wrote: »

Last year we tried to get vet help over this.... Two vets did not want to know and the third arrived at our door with a lethal injection in her hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Id track it down and take
    the cylinder away

jamesd wrote: »
    Id track it down and take
    the cylinder away

I wish; the lie of the land makes this very hard. There is a mountain ridge there; would have to drive way away then try to cut back.. Some folk are trying I think who know the roads better than I do. Just is difficult terrain.

Hoping the radio appeal will have sorted something.

Well, our friend spent a long while trying to find this crowbanger.

He could hear it, but cannot yet trace it; it is bouncing off the mountains which is why the echo effect.

Will not repeat here what he is planning to do when he locates it.

Meanwhile we have one very disturbed collie here.

Advertisement