Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2011 ... For discussion of all things related to this exam.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

This just isn't true. People with Science Phds have failed to succeed at the GAMSAT. Half of the exam is predicated on your ability to use the English language.

And the vast majority of the science you will learn in a science degree will be not applicable to the GAMSAT exam. No guarantees for aceing anything.

When you do get into the medicine course, a strong science background might well be a bonus, but at the same time the UCD open day told us that the highest scoring graduate last year had come from a law background.

My advice is do a degree you'll enjoy. It's four years long. The GAMSAT exam does not need four years preparation. If you enjoy the degree, there's a much better chance you'll come out of it with the requisite 2:1. And you might even forget all about medicine in that time and turn something you enjoy into a career, which is what we're all hoping to do.[/Quote]

Thanks a million! That's what I was coming to think. In 4 years, the whole medicine idea might seem like a flash in the pan. Hopefully I'll get it first time round but if not then I know that the courses that I've got down will be interesting and enjoyable and maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wings2010

Hello all other GAMSAT-ers,

I'm planning to sit the UK GAMSAT in September and just wondering does anyone know which centre is the handiest to register for? I heard before that the London centre is very crowded and stressful to get in and out of!

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

Hi All,

UCD Fees for 2011/2012 are up on the website, €13119 for GEM, which includes student levy of 2K

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate2011.htm

UCD seems like cheapest option so far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

mystery1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

UCD Fees for 2011/2012 are up on the website, €13119 for GEM, which includes student levy of 2K

Sweet! Happy out with that. Same as last year pretty much.

Gave in my notice today as well. Good day all around!

Hurry up September!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Gave in my notice today as well. Good day all around!

Great feeling I'd say! :D
    I've been persuaded to stay on for a few hours a week (5 max) in work once term starts. Not sure how it'll go-guess only time will tell!

Anyone know of people who worked part-time during the course?

21 days and counting.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

Great feeling I'd say! :D
    I've been persuaded to stay on for a few hours a week (5 max) in work once term starts. Not sure how it'll go-guess only time will tell!

Anyone know of people who worked part-time during the course?

21 days and counting.....

Great feeling? Hell yeah!! Woot! it's only beginning to feel real now that I'm actually going through with this. Very exciting!

I know people at the RCSI open day said they did. They said wait until you find your feet with the workload and then its manageable. I wouldn't sweat it though, I think you'd be absolutely fine. I'm going to be trying to get some form of work as well to keep me going. Haven't the option of keeping up a few hours with current employer (I'm in London), and prospects of weekend work in construction at home aren't too bright either!

I held two jobs in final year and played rugby it was hectic but manageable. I'm hoping to just do a couple of hours in the evening or preferably on weekend mornings. Should pass the time while hungover. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Hi All,

I don't see €13119 there at all. €13915?

A €4 fee increase would be great though. One less pint a year

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

Yillan wrote: »
    I don't see €13119 there at all. €13915?

A €4 fee increase would be great though. One less pint a year

That's because the idiots have realised "Oops, we've but last years figure up" and gone and changed it. The figure was definitely €13119 yesterday.

That's because the idiots have realised "Oops, we've but last years figure up" and gone and changed it. The figure was definitely €13119 yesterday.

Did you go for UCD in the end bonnie?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

Ya I did. I was always leaning towards UCD, and the price difference in the end clinched it for me.

I think the both courses are excellent, but I would just prefer the campus feel of UCD.

I think your a shoe-in with 62 for UCD, so dont sweat it in the regard. Even if everyone with a score of 62+ went for UCD, there are enough places for everyone on those points, even accounting for the unknown that is them that sat it last September.

Just want the next few weeks to be over now. Decided not to hand in my notice at work until the offers come out, and it's just tedious and painful right now dragging myself into that place.

Seeing the figure of €13119 ladt night gave me a real lift, so I'm slightly pissed off right now:(

• Advertisement

Ya I did. I was always leaning towards UCD, and the price difference in the end clinched it for me.

I think the both courses are excellent, but I would just prefer the campus feel of UCD.

I think your a shoe-in with 62 for UCD, so dont sweat it in the regard. Even if everyone with a score of 62+ went for UCD, there are enough places for everyone on those points, even accounting for the unknown that is them that sat it last September.

Just want the next few weeks to be over now. Decided not to hand in my notice at work until the offers come out, and it's just tedious and painful right now dragging myself into that place.

Seeing the figure of €13119 ladt night gave me a real lift, so I'm slightly pissed off right now:(

Yeah all things going well, UCD should be home for the next 4 years. If points jump beyond 62, It'll just not be for me. I don't know if anyone has RCSI as numero uno this time around. Might be worth a poll. UCD could well be above RCSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

Good luck, either way Ill prob seeing many of you in UCD in a few weeks. Im sure you'll have no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Anyone know of any websites that take laser card payments to purchase the sample papers? The joys of not having a credit card :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 staain

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any study group in the area mentioned?

Thanks,

Stan

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

10 days and counting til offers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Molly_88

aaahhh the suspense is killing me... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

I got a letter on monday from cao saying that my application was refused based on "insufficient evidence" of having a 2.1 .. :eek::eek::eek:

Long story short and many 'colourful' phone calls to cao later it turns out that they had lost my year 4 transcript (only finished the degree this year), but they only admitted to losing it when the manager checked my file on the system and found the transcript scanned in. So when the med schools turned up in galway last week to review everyones transcripts at cao they were only shown my transcripts from years 1-3. So then the cao told me that I had to formally appeal the decision.

Thats when I opened up a big can of whoop ass!

Now will these next 10 days ever feck off

watawaster wrote: »
    I got a letter on monday from cao saying that my application was refused based on "insufficient evidence" of having a 2.1 .. :eek::eek::eek:

Long story short and many 'colourful' phone calls to cao later it turns out that they had lost my year 4 transcript (only finished the degree this year), but they only admitted to losing it when the manager checked my file on the system and found the transcript scanned in. So when the med schools turned up in galway last week to review everyones transcripts at cao they were only shown my transcripts from years 1-3. So then the cao told me that I had to formally appeal the decision.

Thats when I opened up a big can of whoop ass!

Now will these next 10 days ever feck off

Christ. You could have nightmares about that for the rest of your life. Go on the cao.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jess_112

Beginning to get worried about offers now! what do people think the odds of getting into UCC with 61 are?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caz_von

Jess_112 wrote: »
    Beginning to get worried about offers now! what do people think the odds of getting into UCC with 61 are?

I'd say they are very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on taking the exam in London in Sept? Easiest way to get there, where to stay etc. etc. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2011-Round-0.pdf

Cut offs for 2011 on CAO website... Huge drop in points this year :-)))))

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wings2010

http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2011-Round-0.pdf

Cut offs for 2011 on CAO website... Huge drop in points this year :-)))))

Congrats to everyone who has got a place in GEM for September! :) Delighted to see the cut-off marks are down...just the encouragement I was looking for as I'm trying to knuckle down with the books for the GAMSAT next month! Hoping the drop in points is the start of a trend for next year too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

Hey all, so im in my final year of psychiatric nursing ( finished aug 2012 but wont graduate till jan 2013 because of the hold up with some student finishing the intern year) and i want to get into post grad med!. I only took biology at leaving cert and then had an introduction to all the sciences in university. Basically only had a crash course in physics, chem and biology, anatomy and physiology ect for the first 2 years of the 4 year course.

So i need to learn it all (or do i?) and im looking for material. a few have sworn by the 'guru method'. so guys, i need to literally start from scratch, how much have i to learn for this exam and whats my best route to take regarding study material?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Hi have a few questions about the gamsat .

I did an organic chem module last yr in first year of my course in TCD , plus physical chem thrown in . Ive also covered psychology , maths , anatomy , physiology , immunology and biochem (2nd yr). Ive done alot but is there specific stuff that needs to be studied - like the social science section for the essays .

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

folks, there is a stickies thread specifically for Gamsat stuff for sale or wanted. please don't clutter up other Gamsat threads with those posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marysarah

What material would ppl reccomend for Section 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 physgirl

Marysarah wrote: »
    What material would ppl reccomend for Section 1?

lots of reading! basically anything you can get your hands from broadsheets to magazines like the new yorker, time etc. Acer also set exams for law students in Australia called ALSET there's a free download of sample questions for that. there's always an excerpt from novel/interview/play so look up that type of material as well. You need to be a fast reader with excellent analysis skills! good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adeline07

what are the cuts off for round zero this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LaurC

Anyone interested in starting a study group from September in Maynooth/Dublin for Gamsat 2013?

Advertisement