Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv to upc questions?

• 14-05-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

I,m on utv 7mb at the moment and was contemplating switching to UPC 30 mb package. Are there any issue re throttling , I dont use torrents very much at all but do use Usenet for tv shows and usually take it down off peak.

I have read the UTV issue thread here and am a bit concerned , i'm very happy with UTV but the extra speed is appealing. What is the cap and contentionon on UPC, it doesn't appear to mention any on their deals web page. I'm in swords North dublin. any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well UPC throttling it seems depends on your area.
    Some people here report major throttling, but I myself have no real issues in Limerick.

Through torrenting (not usenet or anything, but plain old Utorrent) last night I downloaded a tv show from EZ torrents at 1.9 MBPS over a wireless connection.
    (I'm on the 20MB package as I haven't upgraded yet to the 30 as I'm not too bothered TBH.)

That was at 9:30pm so peak times by all accounts.
    Took all of 5 mins to download the 45 minute show (non HD).

Even those that do report throttling here, mention that it only seems to happen during peak times, and that off peak they are usually okay.

Now I've gone to alot of effort to make sure my network is perfect, and I maintain it constantly.
    (I reset my router completely an a bi-weekly bassis for example, and check neighbouring channels constantly.)
    I've ports on my router properly forwarded and always make sure it's up to date.

And because of that I constantly get 20MB speeds wirelessly.
    You'd have to do similar yourself to insure optimal speeds, but that goes for all providers TBH.

Also, if you're signing up now you'll get the Cisco Wifi modem, which has numerous problems that are (very) slowly but surely being fixed with firmware updates, but it still has a long way to go.

All in all, it depends on how lucky you are in your area.
    You should ask if there are any posters here who live close by and what their experiences are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think the throttling that people have reported is more due to contention/congestion than anything else. I'm on 20M, and all though I never get that, I always get around 10M or higher. No problems with Usenet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

All in all, it depends on how lucky you are in your area.
    You should ask if there are any posters here who live close by and what their experiences are.

Good Idea, I set up a friends yesterday. he was getting good speed but I think I'll hold off for a while and see how his works out for him.

If anyone here from the swords area has anything to add especially regarding the upc issue thread here I'd be interested in reading it.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

The Muppet wrote: »
    Good Idea, I set up a friends yesterday. he was getting good speed but I think I'll hold off for a while and see how his works out for him.

If anyone here from the swords area has anything to add especially regarding the upc issue thread here I'd be interested in reading it.

Thanks for the replies.

Hey Muppet,

Before you do anything please read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055885181

I'm in Swords and at the moment I'm suffering intermittent connection on phone and broadband. Upc can't give me date/time when it will be fixed. I know they are working on it and over the last few days the tv has knocked off a few times during the day too.

A few weeks ago everyone was suffering from terrible download speeds but thankfully that was sorted out...

If you do ring them to enquire about the service, they probably won't tell you that they are having some problems!!

I wonder what they would say if you asked......!

Advertisement