Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Australia - check bank statements or proof of onward flight?

Options
  • 14-05-2010 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey there,

Will be arriving in Oz next week to start my WHV - has anyone heard much as to whether they regularly check bank statements for proof of funds for your stay or check that you have an onward flight when you enter the country?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Well not with anyone I know who has came in and it didnt happen to me either.

A guy I know arrived in Brisbane about a month ago with $200 in his pocket (had work organised with his brother) and strolled through.

I think the only people they are hammering at the moment is 2nd year Visa folk re their agricultural work (or usual lack thereof!)

You should be fine dont worry

Anything else just drop me a PM if you need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Betty2009

Cheers Diddler82, thanks for that, I have a bit more than $200 in my pocket, but not quite the 'required' amount and no onward flight as I'm not sure yet where i'll be heading after Oz, but sure hopefully it will be grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I don't know anyone who has been checked either.

I entered with a one way flight (but did bring a letter from my parents saying that they would support me if neccessary).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My sister was checked, but other than that I don't know anyone who was.

By the way, I've read on here that credit cards are accepted as part of your funding too... ie. if your CC limit is E2,000, then you can add that onto your bank balance.

Bring the statements just in case, you should be grand though

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I wasnt checked for funds and didnt have an onward flight booked, but i would bring any proof of funds you have just in case your unlucky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Betty2009

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well I went through fine, didn’t ask me anything about funds or onward flights - but the poor girl in front of us, not sure what her story was or where she was from, but she got whisked off to the immigration ‘interrogation’ room for questioning, so it was a bit of a ‘gulp’ moment !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Proof of funds is a bit of a "meh", but onwards flights you should definately have. The airline wont (or shouldn't) let you board if you do not have an onward flight and yes I have heard of people who were refused onto their flight and had to buy a one way ticket home so they could reach their destination. I suppose it depends on the airline. This is also true of NZ, some airlines are super strict about this. By the way this is only applicable to WHV. 457 and PR's naturally dont need a return flight as they are residents in OZ.

Easy way around it though. Buy a return ticket that lets you cancel a portion of it for free and then cancel it. You will get your money back and all a few weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

jank wrote: »
    Proof of funds is a bit of a "meh", but onwards flights you should definately have. The airline wont (or shouldn't) let you board if you do not have an onward flight and yes I have heard of people who were refused onto their flight and had to buy a one way ticket home so they could reach their destination. I suppose it depends on the airline. This is also true of NZ, some airlines are super strict about this. By the way this is only applicable to WHV. 457 and PR's naturally dont need a return flight as they are residents in OZ.

Easy way around it though. Buy a return ticket that lets you cancel a portion of it for free and then cancel it. You will get your money back and all a few weeks later.

never heard of that to be honest, I flew on a one way ticket to Oz and a one way ticket to NZ - if I remeber correctly you cannot book an airline ticket more than a year in advance either so what happens if you are doing your second year in Oz?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    never heard of that to be honest, I flew on a one way ticket to Oz and a one way ticket to NZ - if I remeber correctly you cannot book an airline ticket more than a year in advance either so what happens if you are doing your second year in Oz?

Sorry I confused myself there. I think the onward flight requirment can be waived if you are on a WHV. This is the case in NZ but if you are coming in on a tourist visa or a visitor visa then you are required to have an onward flight

Afaik the airlines can get fined if they leave people on the flight with no way of getting home. It raises alarm bells for immigration if people start coming into a country only on a one way flight without a work visa....

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/new-zealand-entry-and-transit-requirements

Advertisement