Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's specific saddles

• 14-05-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm a blow in from the athletics forum but hoping for some advice - specifically regarding women's saddles.

My wife has been cycling with me while I run, but is finding the generic saddle on her mountain bike to be very uncofortable (even with womens specific padded shorts). So I thought a women's saddle would be the best bet. However, being of the male veriety, I have little/no knowledge of such things.

Could anyone provide recommendations?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I find the Specialized Ladies saddles very good. You can find them on evanscycles.co.uk or at cycleways in Dublin among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Any women specific fizik, selle san marco or specialized saddles will be comfortable but bear in mind they could set you back about €100 and they are very narrow and not particularly padded. They are by far the most comfortable option for doing long distances or racing but if your wife is doing shorter distances it might be a better idea just to go into a bike shop (cycle superstore or wheelworx for example) and ask them for something suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The missus has a Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour and finds it very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

btw this is my saddle and it's wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Thanks for the pointers all.

I think we would be looking more at the Selle style, not a narrow race style.

We are going to call into Cycleways tomorrow, so should get some good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

FYI: Women's saddles are usually wider than mens, so they won't look as racey.
    Side profiles always make them look narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I use a ladies charge saddle.

This is it here

It's not too expensive and I find it pretty comfy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

levi wrote: »
    I use a ladies charge saddle.

This is it here

It's not too expensive and I find it pretty comfy :)

I have one on my Fixie. I love it but I find it very uncomfortable when using lycra for longer rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Ah right... I wouldn't know about lycra :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think with all of this you need to consider that saddles are a very personal thing.

Besides that, what may be suitable for a 50 minute pootle is very different to what you might want racing.

If it is to accompany you running I imagine she probably wants something with a bit of padding and the width to support her sit bones.

Racing you are in a different position and for long distances padding actually tends to become a negative as it can put pressure where it is not wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Its worth trying the Charge, as they are not terribly expensive and are quite versatile. They get great reviews.

I use a Charge Spoon (the mens version of the Ladle, as I don't have the girly bits) & its very comfy

Advertisement