Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Deli - Something a bit odd

• 14-05-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I was down in Superquinn the other day getting a roll with hot chicken in it for my lunch. Anyway I wanted coleslaw in the roll and I knew from experience that you had to get it at the salad bar and then they put it in the roll for you. (Why they don't keep any behind the counter is beyond me)

Anyway I did this and went up to the counter and the woman behind the counter refused to put it in the roll for me. I was taken aback as she informed me I could have mayo/taco sauce but not coleslaw!!! My colleague who was a couple of places ahead of me in the queue brought up potato salad from the salad bar and got that in his roll no problem. I have to admit I can't remember why she said I couldn't have it as I was a bit embarrassed that a queue full of people heard me being refused coleslaw ;) I wasn't looking for it as a free filling or anything so I don't know what was the problem.

Now I'm well aware this isn't the slightest bit important in the scheme of things but I couldn't understand this baffling level of customer service. Anyone else experience this down there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

iv been refused coleslaw in toasted sandwiches etc before because you cant heat it because of food poisening but never a filled roll! maybe because the chicken was hot ot something???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not sure but I think it's something to do with the mayo in the coleslaw with the hot chicken causing a food poisoning risk. My sister used to work in a cafe and they were specifically banned from putting mayo on hot (toasted) sandwiches for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Chiorino wrote: »
    Not sure but I think it's something to do with the mayo in the coleslaw with the hot chicken causing a food poisoning risk. My sister used to work in a cafe and they were specifically banned from putting mayo on hot (toasted) sandwiches for this reason.

True enough but they always offer mayo at the counter anyway, and probably would have used more than was in the coleslaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR COLESLAW AS REFUSAL OFTEN OFFENDS

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Bloody health and safety madness. Can we not make our own decisions about anything these days? We are turning into a nanny state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I really doubt it's for health and saftey, if that was the case you couldn't have Mayo.

Very very strange as I worked on that deli for a time and it was common that you would just stick the coleslaw label on the wrapping.

At a guess, I'd imagine people are thieving it and they have been told not to do it.

Could this be a case for "Waterford boardsies investigates" Paton pending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ziedth wrote: »
    Could this be a case for "Waterford boardsies investigates" Paton pending.
    Coleslawgate - right up there with NAMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Wouldn't you think they'd keep a tub of coleslaw beside the hot counter as a lot of people like coleslaw with hot food. If they're citing the health and food risks then they wouldn't be able to offer mayonnaise or potato salad.

If your colleague was able to get potato salad in his roll then the most obvious reason that I can see is that your wan is a jobs worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

deisemum wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think they'd keep a tub of coleslaw beside the hot counter as a lot of people like coleslaw with hot food. If they're citing the health and food risks then they wouldn't be able to offer mayonnaise or potato salad.

If your colleague was able to get potato salad in his roll then the most obvious reason that I can see is that your wan is a jobs worth.

yep - Ester Rantzen should hand out the award:D

For boardsies to young to remember - [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27s_Life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Bards wrote: »
    yep - Ester Ranson should hand out the award:D

For boardsies to young to remember "That's Life" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27s_Life!

Yeah she gave out a special job's worth had :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Creamsoda wrote: »
    Bloody health and safety madness.

In my experience, the people who shout health and safety madness are the ones who are most likely to make a claim. This is the reason why many health and safety issues seem to be taken a bit too far, here in the worlds most litigious (spelling?) country after the USA. Also, trade unions are guilty of using health and safety in every dispute, unneccessarily claiming they are out on strike because of ''A, B, and C and oh yeah we have a problem with health and safety also''. see the Dublin airport baggage handlers strike there a few years back as an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Max Powers wrote: »
    Also, trade unions are guilty of using health and safety in every dispute, unneccessarily claiming they are out on strike because of ''A, B, and C and oh yeah we have a problem with health and safety also''. see the Dublin airport baggage handlers strike there a few years back as an example.

Last year there were 43 workplace deaths, and thats the lowest in 20 years, so trade unions are right to bring up health and safety issues. http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/healthandsafety001/category/1084

I would however be surprised to hear if any of these deaths were caused by coleslaw in a filled role.

Superquinn is obsessedwith foodhygine so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

dayshah wrote: »
    Last year there were 43 workplace deaths, and thats the lowest in 20 years, so trade unions are right to bring up health and safety issues. http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/healthandsafety001/category/1084

I would however be surprised to hear if any of these deaths were caused by coleslaw in a filled role.

You missed my point of people blaming health and safety as madness or using it as tool to complain which diminshes the work of people who strive to reduce the injuries to zero level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maybe the server was just exercising common sense?

Coleslaw with hot food? **** off ya lunatics!

I'm not gonna lie I find it odd too but I once had a weekly roll with just hash browns and Mayo so I doubt my opinion is valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

a few years ago a deli worker in the spar on the way to newtown cove in tramore told me she could not put cold meat in my roll as it was still hot.
    i had to change it for a cold roll

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Max Powers wrote: »
    In my experience, the people who shout health and safety madness are the ones who are most likely to make a claim. This is the reason why many health and safety issues seem to be taken a bit too far, here in the worlds most litigious (spelling?) country after the USA. Also, trade unions are guilty of using health and safety in every dispute, unneccessarily claiming they are out on strike because of ''A, B, and C and oh yeah we have a problem with health and safety also''. see the Dublin airport baggage handlers strike there a few years back as an example.

Well your experience must not be much good since iv never made a claim in my life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Creamsoda wrote: »
    Well your experience must not be much good since iv never made a claim in my life...

thats some claim

I have never seen such an amazingly random derailed thread in the couple of years I've been posting on the fourm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

The Superquinn deli is gone to the dogs the last month or so. They also refuse to put wedges in a chicken roll too now as they have "no sticker for it."

Advertisement