Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Sheeeeeeedyyyy......'

• 14-05-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭

With the World Cup fast approaching, I thought it'd be a good time for people to share some memories of World Cups gone by.

a lot of them, I'm well aware, will be linked to our very own 'Boys In Green', but even so, share them anyway. I'm sure not all of them will be though; actually i guarantee they won't be.

my first vivid memory is, as you may have guessed, our 1990 World Cup opener versus England. Cameroon v Argentina was a crazy opener to the World Cup, but i don't remember it as well, because all i can remember looking forward to was seeing Ireland play.

even at the age of 7 and a half (that half was important at that age ;)), i was fully aware how big this was. it's all people were talking about. 'This is our first time in the tournament'...'Big Jack has brought us somewhere we never thought we'd be'....'Olé Olé Olé'...and all that lark. sat in front of the TV at home with the parents, i had my Ireland top on, and the flag was in the window.

i don't remember the game, other than the two goals really. and specifically Sheedy.

i went nuts. absolutely nuts.

and George Hamilton. legend. the clip above doesn't do Sheedy's moment justice without Geroge's excited squeals of 'Kevin Sheedy!'

anyone else have vivid memories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This has to be one of my favourite WC goals:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

This will always be one of my lasting memories of Italia 90...

The same game gave me my first real taste of the heartbreak that football (especially supporting Scotland!) can bring...

But thats why we love it eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I remember bits of 94, working out how the points system worked in my head that allowed us to qualify, McGrath getting sent off against the Dutch, Baggio skying the penalty, oddly enough I was 7 too.

I know it's always brought up, but the one that really stands out though is Bergkamp's goal against Argentina. Still my all time favourite moment from the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Has to be!

Will be looking for an RTE one :)

Mick McCarthys face..

Oliver Kahn was unbeatable..until that! I remember the whole place going nuts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me the 1986 World Cup was very special. There was just so many individual brilliant goals and performances in it. I remember Jimmy Magee commentating on the English game and he just decided to shut up at the right time, it was a magical moment and he only said four words between when Maradona got the ball and put it in the net, and it was the same two words twice over.

I'll start off with the crazy coach and a cheat but the greatest player to ever put a pair of boots on Diego Armunco Maradona.

Gary Lineker went to Mexico with a broken wrist and played with a cast on his hand/arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My earliest World Cup memory is the qualifier with the North in Belfast in '93.

Of course, I remember watching '94, Ray's goal and all that.

I do have two other memories from that tournament: The Mexican guy who got tangled in the nets and they had to change the nets during the game; and watching the Italy Nigeria match in a blood donor's clinic in Charleville with my grandad.

I loved '98. My favourite memory of that was Cuautehmoc Blanco doing his trick where he hopped with the ball in between two defenders. I also remember a Bulgarian player taking three foul throws in one game. And, of course, Bergkamp's cracker.

For some reason, I don't remember '02 that well. I remember being numb after we went out to Spain on penos though. It was really hard to take, even though they battered us in that game. I do remember watching Ronaldinho's free against England and Dario Rodriguez scoring a volley from a corner for Uruguay.

About '06, I enjoyed the Mexico Argentina match, especially Maxi Rodriguez's goal. I was in Scotland for the England Portugal match and I'll never forget the barbecue that was going on across the street. Several families got together just to cheer on Portugal.

My favourite memory of '06 was probably the Italy Germany semi. I just loved how it all changed in a flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

1990 WC England Vs Belgium

Platt scores late free kick to put us through

The pub erupts , the guy in front of me got so excited he actually wet himself ....

Still etched in my memory I nearly wet myself laughing at him !!!!!!!

1990 still holds some wonderful memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i just wish it showed more of Duff's performance.

i remember him being absolutely incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

What a feeling it would be if Ireland were in the world cup. Italia 90 was amazing, USA 94 was great. I still get goosebumps watching some clips. My highlight was probably Houghtons goal against the Italians. Lowest point is losing to Spain on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Think I posted this here before but before the '94 World Cup,my dad who lives in Germany was going to the Germany-Ireland friendly which we won 2-0,it happened to be on my birthday so he rang me up and said make sure you keep your eyes peeled through the whole match.Watched the whole match and didnt see a thing,so when he rang me the next day he said had a big banner saying "Happy Birthday Gillington" on it.I was 12 at the time so was disappointed I didnt see it,think i was crying and all!

Anyways about 30 of family and friends gathered in my aunty's house before irelands opener against italy and RTE did a video montage of our road to the world cup and on the screen popped my Da and his mates with the banner!

That plus a certain Mr Houghton's goal put a smile on my face for weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Was going to say Ray Houghton at Giants Stadium but this Robbie Keane goal from WC2002 in Japan is pretty special for me as I was in Yokohama Stadium watching the match :D

Failing that the Brazilians are always brilliant to watch and Zico was always one of my favourites. Here's a goal from the 1982 WC which is around the time I actually started to get interested in Football properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

That goal by Maradona (Not the hand of god;)) with Jimmy Magee commentating

"A different class......... A Different Class.............. A DIFFERENT CLLLLAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Degag wrote: »
    That goal by Maradona (Not the hand of god;)) with Jimmy Magee commentating

"A different class......... A Different Class.............. A DIFFERENT CLLLLAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!"

You mean this goal. Tis brilliant alright!

deadtiger wrote: »
    ldo, I posted it earlier.

deadtiger wrote: »

did the start of that video say "world cup 1968" ? Or am I going mad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

2002 is the first World Cup I remember. Watched the Germany match in school, we all went mental, I watched the Cameroon match before school and I was home sick from school for the Saudi Arabia match. I was absolutely sick when we lost to Spain on penalties.

Of course the headbutt in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

baz2009 wrote: »
    I watched the Cameroon match before school

School on a Saturday?

Dancor wrote: »
    School on a Saturday?

I just remember being up early.:p
    I thought I had school, could have been football(GAA) training, now that I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

22 pass build up and then this beauty, I felt like crying with happiness.

I'll never forget this, I won tickets the quater finals between Germany v Argentina in 2006. Really close to the goal posts for the penalty shootout.

11tymqc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Cant have a Ireland (past) World Cup Thread without at least one post dedicated to The Legend Jack Charlton (I dont use the "L" word lightly)
    What this man has done for Irish football blows the mind .

Some magic moments .....

_82778_jack_charlton.jpg
    The Man Himself .

0406_JackCharlton_h_184895t.jpg
    Another Scalp !

jack-charlton-001.jpg
    Proper man management .

79041209.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CAE947827909D76C09A8B7774B35C5983635CB1F9E15E0E46F
    CARE .

10ireland_251385s.jpg
    Oh Yea .

Jack+Charlton+and+Pope+John+Paul+II.jpeg
    Speaks for itelf :-)

79040819.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA5BEECF029F820001EF04068E1F1904E0E0B796D8D57AA586
    Do you have a Irish Granny ? call me ..Baggio is a common Longford name .

0.jpg
    Remember that proud look ...summed up the nations feeling .

0.jpg
    Older , but surely this man cant get any wiser !

School on a Saturday?

Nearly sure it was a school day actually. I remember watching it before sitting a junior cert exam with friends in my house due to me being the closest to the school. Matty Holland got a cracker :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The best set of tackles in history

Missed him, missed him....got him. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

SlickRic wrote: »
    sat in front of the TV at home with the parents

fukin barstooler.

laughing my ass off at beckham getting sent off was a nice non-ireland related one. france - brazil from 06 was also another excellent game, the showcase of one Z.Zidane

Jazzy wrote: »
    fukin barstooler.

Who watches tele on a stool in their own home? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Nearly sure it was a school day actually. I remember watching it before sitting a junior cert exam with friends in my house due to me being the closest to the school. Matty Holland got a cracker :D

Im pretty sure it was a Saturday. Half 7 Irish time kick off. I had pizza for breakfast. And thankfully it was the year before my JC so I didnt miss any games :D Felt sorry for some friends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo

How Schumacher didn't get a yellow for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

One of the best world cup songs imo, how John Barnes never went further in his music career, I'll never know :p

• Advertisement

Reading and looking at all these World Cup magic moments I cant get one thing out of my head (think i need to build a bridge ) but ....

FOOK YOU MR HENRY !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Cameroon game in 02 was definitely a Saturday, I'd finished my exasm the friday and didn't go to bed before watching the match.

A friend of mine had also stupidly got his GF pregnant the september previous, and so spent the duration of the match in the maternity ward :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Has to be!

Will be looking for an RTE one :)

Mick McCarthys face..

Oliver Kahn was unbeatable..until that! I remember the whole place going nuts :D

Here's the RTE version along with the aftermath:

"Here's Robbie Keane...yes!" Classic. :)

My earliest WC memory is being a young boy on holiday in Waterford watching the penalty shoot-out against Romania and not having a clue why all these grown-ups were going bananas.

I remember being in Galway for the '94 WC watching Ireland vs Italy. I was with a kid who left to get some food and missed the Houghton goal. He was raging afterwards. :pac:

Also I know this isn't technically a World Cup moment but I'm going too give it a mention as it took us to a World Cup. Alan McLoughlin's goal against NI:

I remember me and my Dad jumping up and down on the chairs at home when this went in.

Speaking of great WC moments it's worth giving a nod to Apres Match. Here's a particular favourite of mine which cheered me up during that horrible Saipan business:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mwepu Ilunga, Zaire vs Brazil, '74

:D:D

Phoenix From The Flames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The usuals have already been posted.

Not good oul Saeed Al Owairan though. What a hero -

And Timmy putting Japan to the sword was pretty class too. I took the afternoon off work for this -

Im pretty sure it was a Saturday. Half 7 Irish time kick off. I had pizza for breakfast. And thankfully it was the year before my JC so I didnt miss any games :D Felt sorry for some friends though.
    Des wrote: »
    The Cameroon game in 02 was definitely a Saturday, I'd finished my exasm the friday and didn't go to bed before watching the match.

A friend of mine had also stupidly got his GF pregnant the september previous, and so spent the duration of the match in the maternity ward :D

Checked it and was a Saturday......was actually the German game I was thinking of. People that took honours English missed the 2nd half of the game and we ran around outside the exam hall after Robbie got the goal for the draw :D .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Roger Milla will always be hugely memorable. I remember the young flahavaj getting a right laugh out of him nicking the ball from Higuita to score and the aul fella's reaction "serves him right the stupid c*nt."

A wonderfully eloquent man is aul flahavaj senior, a poet and scholar.

Who didn't mimic the celebration for months after like, looking like a complete tool in the process?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I love that Jimmy Magee commentary on the Maradona goal. Here are a few of my selections from different world cups:

1982: Perhaps the most exciting team never to win a world cup beaten by Rossi. For some reason I remember eating my dinner as a young lad and watching this on the box:

1990: My favourite bit: "Alf has been deferred"...

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

if you ever in your life dont feel irish for any reason, you watch this video and realise a black lad who is nicknamed the "black pearl of inchicore" withstood horrendous racial abuse for his entire life in ireland and went out on a pitch wearing our jersey and played for his country!

1st WC was 82 and you always see players doing **** at a WC they cant do at club level simply cos they doing it for their country, no other reason.

Mc Grath was an awesome club player for all his clubs, for some reason that game that moment sticks out to me as the greatest irish/WC performance ever.

ooh ah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I love Aldridge's passion, what a legend he really did lose it!

dreamers75 wrote: »

if you ever in your life dont feel irish for any reason, you watch this video and realise a black lad who is nicknamed the "black pearl of inchicore" withstood horrendous racial abuse for his entire life in ireland and went out on a pitch wearing our jersey and played for his country!

1st WC was 82 and you always see players doing **** at a WC they cant do at club level simply cos they doing it for their country, no other reason.

Mc Grath was an awesome club player for all his clubs, for some reason that game that moment sticks out to me as the greatest irish/WC performance ever.

ooh ah!

Excellent post .... I was at that game and it's easy to forget how awesome McGrath was that day in Giants Stadium .
    The video should be compulsory to watch for a couple of premiership centre halfs that spring to mind.
    I think some of the modern day defenders are a little over hyped (as their wages reflexes also) . Paul McGrath on a good day was worth every penny of the millions the current players get.

That video and McGrath deserve a seperate Thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Des wrote: »
    :D:D

Phoenix From The Flames

Dammit, I wanted to post that, beat me to it.

This goal was pretty memorable too....:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Favourite has to be Sheedy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

SlickRic wrote: »

i just wish it showed more of Duff's performance.

i remember him being absolutely incredible.
    I remember Harte was so bad during that tournament. Don't think he ever did anything much after it either. They said afterwards he was playing with a broken toe. Was impressive with free kicks before that. Remember George Hamilton saying "Brazil has Roberto Carlos, and Ireland has Ian Harte" (in a tongue in cheek kinda way) right before he scored a screamer during the qualifiers.

Duff was brilliant alright; so was robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

78977215.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA87147D4DC5DFA576C29B41BFD47347CCB7905C8028D78D83

Like this photo as even the Japanese fans behind the goal with German flags are even cheering for us now.;)

cover_06.jpg

Panini_Italia_90_-49.jpg

Ah my Dad was quite broke man from buying me stikers every day till I finished lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

good thread. This Dutch team from 78 were fantastic. This a cracker from Johnny Repp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6UlqfRvns

It wasn't in the proper competition but it really is an excellent team goal that is going to be overlooked in the years to come - really one of those moments in football that teaches you nothing is for certain and there is always a chance.

EDIT: Remember the complete and utter lack of faith leading up to the game?

Advertisement