Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11 year old player - short scale bass?

• 14-05-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭

My son is interested in playing the bass. He is 11 (+1/2) and if it makes any difference is about 5ft 1inch tall.
    I'm wondering should I get him some kind of short-scale bass or go for the regular size? Any thing else to watch out for?
    All and any input appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My son is interested in playing the bass. He is 11 (+1/2) and if it makes any difference is about 5ft 1inch tall.
    I'm wondering should I get him some kind of short-scale bass or go for the regular size? Any thing else to watch out for?
    All and any input appreciated.

he could probably get away with 34" scale, maybe try in a shop or something. Otherwise a Fender Mustang RI would be a good one. They sound and look great, easily something that a younger person or an adult could play. There's a fair few used ones knocking around if you look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

I'd go for the normal 34" scale he will grow up after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

+1 for going for the 34" scale. Lads of his age grow fairly fast, and it probably would not be too long before you were looking for a 34" scale anyway.

The best solution, as Dord says, is to try out both in a music shop and see which one he prefers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Dublin Guitar

Hi. Most shops should carry short and full scale basses. As Rigsby said, best thing to do is put both in his hands and see how they both feel to him.

Dave - Dublin Guitar Centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm only 5' 5" and I play 34" scale basses without any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

reniwren wrote: »
    I'd go for the normal 34" scale he will grow up after all

That depends on if he behaves himself..... ;)

We ended up with a Squier Bronco bass (short scale and quite light) which seems to suit him. We bought it in X Music and FYI they did match the Thomann price. (And in relation to the foreign retailers thread, their attitude was top class)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

That depends on if he behaves himself..... ;)

We ended up with a Squier Bronco bass (short scale and quite light) which seems to suit him. We bought it in X Music and FYI they did match the Thomann price. (And in relation to the foreign retailers thread, their attitude was top class)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Nice one. The bronco is basically a Squier version of a Mustang. The pickup in the bronco is actually a strat single coil. You could swap it out for a hotrails or something if he (*you) wanted a meatier sound. :)

*we all know that you're gonna end up playing this too! :p

Advertisement