Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jail

Options
  • 14-05-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking at doing a couple of months inside for a non violent offence. Can anyone tell me what prison I'm most likely to be sent to? Any differences in the ones around the country?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Midlands maybe?
    There's a helpful site here, if you click on the links on the right hand side you can get an indicator of what rank they are (high/low/medium)
    http://www.irishprisons.ie/prisons-home.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Depends, are you a man or a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

Cheers lady.

I'm a man. Resigned to my fate at this stage.

Anyone on here with any prison experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

You will more than likely end up in Castlerea as Galway is in it's catchment area.

You'd better pray that you don't end up in Mountjoy, was there on a prison tour before Christmas - think Oz only worse. Seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Agree with Ronnie, odds are it will be Castlerea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know a guy that committed an offence in Galway and was sent to Castlerea, so that's probably it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    You'd better pray that you don't end up in Mountjoy, was there on a prison tour before Christmas - think Oz only worse. Seriously.
    You'll be lynched on AH for saying that. As far as they're concerned, it's got champagne on tap and a butler service rather than a Victorian oubliette where they keep on packing them in like a Japanese train at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Robbo wrote: »
    You'll be lynched on AH for saying that. As far as they're concerned, it's got champagne on tap and a butler service rather than a Victorian oubliette where they keep on packing them in like a Japanese train at rush hour.
    Victorian oubliette makes it sound fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Ya you will be going to Caslterea.

Keep an eye out for "the village" or the RA section, an area of bungalows adjacent to the prison where IRA members live in relative luxury, sky sports etc. to the rest of the prison population.

skelliser wrote: »

Keep an eye out for "the village" or the RA section, an area of bungalows adjacent to the prison where IRA members live in relative luxury, sky sports etc. to the rest of the prison population.

Isn't that Portlaois?.... it was my understanding Castlerea was a low security prison with the majority of offenders being petty criminals(assaults, burglary etc...) as opposed to Mountjoy, Portlaois which have mainly long term prisoners(Murder, gangland crime etc...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

No, Castlerea takes them all and they do have the paramilitaries in the bungalows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

skelliser wrote: »

Not just the IRA lads in the village, low risk people are also moved into this area from main prison, particularily when main block gets full.
    But besides the high walls, and the fact you cant go home, you wouldnt think it prison if you get landed in there. But you will def be put into main block starting off, a friend told me its not great over there.

Isn't that Portlaois?.... it was my understanding Castlerea was a low security prison with the majority of offenders being petty criminals(assaults, burglary etc...) as opposed to Mountjoy, Portlaois which have mainly long term prisoners(Murder, gangland crime etc...)

Castlerea def has a 'village' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You may start in Castlerea, and possibly get transferred to Loughlin House open prison in Cavan

A few of my friends tell that that Castlerea is fairly handy, so I'm hoping to be sent there. Out of work at the mo so jail not a bad option- no rent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

A few of my friends tell that that Castlerea is fairly handy, so I'm hoping to be sent there. Out of work at the mo so jail not a bad option- no rent :D

We'll be paying your rent .charming.

I contributed a lot of tax when I was working! Lost my job as an engineer a while back and I've made a few bad decisions since. I'm not complaining- I got caught and now I have to pay the penalty.

martingore wrote: »
    We'll be paying your rent .charming.

That's a bit rich considering just about everyone commits some sort of crime(be it urinating in public, drink driving, illegal dumping, assault- to the more serious ones). How many people can hold their hand up and say they've done sweet FA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

What did ya do?

IBTL

(as it got nothing to do with life in "Galway City")

but for general knowledge, go on tell your story!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I contributed a lot of tax when I was working! Lost my job as an engineer a while back and I've made a few bad decisions since. I'm not complaining- I got caught and now I have to pay the penalty.

I have a mate who was in a similar situation to you, good job and then he started hanging out with some loose folk, long story of what he did but it was not something that would have affected anyone. Anyway he got like you 2 months in jail and he said it was the most sobering experience of his life, but also one of the best (well, you know what I mean). He explained to me though that the worst thing was the absolute boredom more than anything else.

On the other hand I have another friend (no, all my mates have not been to jail) who got caught in a similar scenario as the above but he really got caught up in the whole criminal world from the connections he got in there, he got indebted as well. That all happened in a very short space of time, he's a bit of a nutjob though I have to say.

Best of luck to you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's a bit rich considering just about everyone commits some sort of crime(be it urinating in public, drink driving, illegal dumping, assault- to the more serious ones). How many people can hold their hand up and say they've done sweet FA?

Wait, what? You think drink driving and assault aren't serious or on a par with public urination? And you think that everyone commits these crimes??? WTF????:eek:

• Advertisement

Can't say too much about what was or was not do. A little import export that got a tad messy shall we say. Worst part is, I didn't get caught, one of my amigos that was in on it with me got caught for something else and he rolled over on me.

Hope my kids will be alright. I'm training them to be self sufficient while Daddy is in Russia for work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

hmm self sufficient...

someone i know was in castlerea and then moved to portlaoise.
    he had a ****ing doddle in there if his stories are anything to go by.
    he went in with a c+ in crime and came out with a A-
    a great education for him.

hyperbaby wrote: »
    hmm self sufficient...

To clarify, their mothers are idiots and my kids badly need some street smarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

A mate of mine was sent to Portlaoise because he owed 2 grand in fines and couldn't pay it. He said it was just like a hotel. Hopefully you're sent there man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Can't say too much about what was or was not do. A little import export that got a tad messy shall we say. Worst part is, I didn't get caught, one of my amigos that was in on it with me got caught for something else and he rolled over on me.

Hope my kids will be alright. I'm training them to be self sufficient while Daddy is in Russia for work ;)
    To clarify, their mothers are idiots and my kids badly need some street smarts.

Oh this thread is got potential. Hey Mod's any chance of getting it moved over to AH's? :)

Wait, what? You think drink driving and assault aren't serious or on a par with public urination? And you think that everyone commits these crimes??? WTF????:eek:

I listed off some random offences, all of which could in some way ''technically'' land you in jail.

Some of which you could see any random person involved in after a night out, there are more, and some were just other unrelated offences, was trying to cover a few areas. Was trying to make a point that while we don't know what he done i think it's harsh for posters to be having a go, as he could have been involved in a very unfortunate spur of the moment event, and no one can say they've never broke a law, there are 1000s after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

OP has got his info.

Good luck on the inside.

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement