Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 28-135 IS USM 3.5-5.6 Lens

• 14-05-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

hi, apologies if this is in the wrong thread, i'm brand new to the photography forum!

i'm a novice photographer; Canon 1000D, 18 - 55mm kit lens + tamron 55 - 200mm. i'm thinking of upgrading (on a budget) to the Canon 28-135 IS USM 3.5-5.6 Lens (which is available on adverts.ie) as a walkabout lens. seeing as i've very little experience i'm asking if you think this is a suitable step up at my level?
    i mostly shoot low light indoor; i guess i'll be shooting daytime outdoor too now that it's summer and i've got more time... so i guess i'm hoping for a good all-rounder!

thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

I did a lot of research into lenses and cameras before I bought my first DSLR. I bought body and that lens. To this day it's still the most used lens in bag. Build quality is good and relative to other consumer lenses, very good picture quality. I've yet to take the plunge into L region. To date by far my best buy.

The only times it comes off is for the 50mm prime in low light gigs and a wider angle for broad landscapes. Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

excellent! cheers man, just what i wanted to hear!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's the kit lens with the 40D/50D cameras and speaking from experience it's a really good lens. You should pick one up fro €250'ish on adverts and they appear fairly regularly on Ebay. Well worth the money - though if you can hold tight a bit longer and try for a 70-200mm L f4 you would be far better off. They're are light years ahead of the 28-135 and for an extra €150 or so it's a much better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

It's the kit lens with the 40D/50D cameras and speaking from experience it's a really good lens. You should pick one up fro €250'ish on adverts and they appear fairly regularly on Ebay. Well worth the money - though if you can hold tight a bit longer and try for a 70-200mm L f4 you would be far better off. They're are light years ahead of the 28-135 and for an extra €150 or so it's a much better option.

Serve completely different purposes though no? I'd imagine the 28-70 range on a cropped sensor is pretty essential in a walkabout lens, truth to tell I'd be hard pushed to justify losing the 18-28 range too, but that's just me.

edit: also, I wouldn't think the 28-135 would be any better in low light than the kit lens.

Advertisement