Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French newcomers soon

Options
  • 14-05-2010 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello everybody!

I'm glad to see that Sligo people share all these informations. I've been reading the forum for the whole morning!

Just to introduce myself a little, i'm Sarah, 21 years old, I just get my English licence in Montpellier (south of france) and i was given a French assistant job at Mercy College on Chapel Hill. I think I start working there begining of October (I still need some confirmation from the school) My boyfriend and I will move to Sligo in September, after visiting the town to find an appartment in August.

Every informations concerning the school, the estate agency we should ask, which place is the nicest to live, where Emeric should ask for a job in science as a lab technician and whatever you think interessting to know for new comers.

Thanks a lot,
    See you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Bonjour Sarah!!

As regards your boyfriend - there's a few places around Sligo he could send his CV to - Abbots being the main one I suppose - somepone from SLigo town might direct you better!!

As for looking for an apartment I think you'd be better off looking in the local papers - Sligo Champion, Sligo Post, Sligo Weekender - than going to an agent. You could also try daft.ie as well - you'll get a better idea of what kind of apartements are available at what price.

If you and your boyfriend are into beaches or surfing my advice would be to live in Strandhill or Rosses Point, although rents here may be more expensive that in the town centre. But I can't say if the public transport is up to french standards so maybe the town might be better unless you plan on having a car.

anyway - you'll get lots more advice here - and welcome to sligo in advance!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Bonjour Sarah,
    Bienvenue sur le forum Sligo. Le Collège Mercy est très près du centre-ville alors assurez-vous chercher un appartement dans le quartier centre-ville. Comme ci-dessus, le meilleur endroit pour trouver un endroit pour vivre, c'est dans le journal local d'au www.daft.ie et www.myhome.ie

Je vais faire la même chose que vous, mais dans la direction opposée, en Spetember Je vais en France pour continuer mes études et je vais donc être à la recherche de la version française de www.boards.ie

In English for the Irish/Sligo members..

Hi Sarah,
    Welcome to the Sligo forum. The Mercy College is very near the town centre so make sure you look for an apartment in the town centre quarter. As above, the best place to look for a place to live is in the local paper of at daft.ie and myhome.ie

I will be doing the same as you but in the opposite direction, in Spetember I'm going to France to continue my studies so I will be looking for the french version of boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Bonjour Sarah!
    For Emeric there are a number of labs in Sligo - there are 3 or 4 branches of www.abbott.ie there's www.fortdodge.eu and www.stiefel.com that I can think of right now, it would be worth looking at their sites for recruitment. As Artyeva said the local papers might be good too, and I'll second daft.ie for accomodation. If your boyfriend can drive (and is willing to drive on the other side of the road) then his options will become wider as there are a number of towns within commuting distance of Sligo that have labs.

In case you don't know, if he doesn't get a job straight away, Emeric can have his Welfare payments moved to Ireland, but there's a lot of paperwork involved, particularly on the French side, so it's worth getting it started before you move - a friend of mine moved here from Valenciennes last year and the paperwork took weeks.

Bonne chance! (good luck)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not to put a dampener on things, but I wouldn't bother with Stiefel. They're shutting up shop over the next few years so they'll hardly be looking for staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sawababa

Is there anyone who know someone who rents an appartment in Sligo city center? I think it will be better for us not to contact an agency (i suppose that it is expensive), so if by chance you're in touch with a property owner... Let us know

Thank you again and for your previous answer. This is helpful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Bonjour Sarah,
    Bienvenue sur le forum Sligo. Le Collège Mercy est très près du centre-ville alors assurez-vous chercher un appartement dans le quartier centre-ville. Comme ci-dessus, le meilleur endroit pour trouver un endroit pour vivre, c'est dans le journal local d'au www.daft.ie et www.myhome.ie

Je vais faire la même chose que vous, mais dans la direction opposée, en Spetember Je vais en France pour continuer mes études et je vais donc être à la recherche de la version française de www.boards.ie

As they say in French - "le showoff".

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Welcome to Sligo www.obg.ie - local agents for the apartment found them really easy to deal with. Good luck with the job search for your b-friend.

Advertisement