Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonsai Tree

Options
  • 14-05-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could buy a Bonsai Tree in the city? I know they used to have them in LIDL but I haven't seen them in there for ages now.

Thanks!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Oooh I know dunnes were selling them at christmas, we got one for 15 euro I think.
    Maybe you could try Woodies or Atlantic homestores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Oooh I know dunnes were selling them at christmas, we got one for 15 euro I think.
    Maybe you could try Woodies or Atlantic homestores?

Nice one! I'll try those, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

There are some in B&Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Sweet! I'll be going there after work. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

B&Q the place for tools n electrics n household stuff, but def not a place for all things that grow, you'll have it home a few weeks and it will die.
    There is plenty of evidence of this in B&Q itself, lookout for the discount shelf outside in the gardencentre, everything on it is on life support, prob cos its been there too long and didnt move.

Good chance you buy some plants , they will kick the bucket too when at home.

• Advertisement

Why don't you open a plant hospital and nurse them back to health when you take them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

You cant nurse the dead back to life:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kalahari

I might be thinking of completely the wrong place but I think I saw bonsai in a shop beside Kirwan's lane before...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Yea thats YES florist.... Only thing about them is they are quite expensive... And I think they only sell large ones, you'd be looking at like €100 for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I got one in B&Q two weeks ago, it's not holding up the best. Leaves look very dry. I've been tapping it up with tap water. Maybe I should use bottled water instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If its a cheap one then that just means it was mass produced by dosing it with chemicals and other crap to stunt its growth and make it look like a proper bonzai, it'll die in a year or 2. If you want a real one it'll cost you £££ but you'll be able to pass it on to your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I got one in B&Q two weeks ago, it's not holding up the best. Leaves look very dry. I've been tapping it up with tap water. Maybe I should use bottled water instead.
    They need rainwater because they're very delicate, wedge a bucket or some other container under your rainspout to collect it, or a river or a puddle from a field, dont use puddles on the road as these will be full of oil and other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thargor wrote: »
    They need rainwater because they're very delicate, wedge a bucket or some other container under your rainspout to collect it, or a river or a puddle from a field, dont use puddles on the road as these will be full of oil and other crap.
    At this stage you really have to asking yourself just how much do you want a bonsai tree?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

chilly wrote: »
    At this stage you really have to asking yourself just how much do you want a bonsai tree?:)
    I remenber seeing them in Paris years ago (2003). They started at around €500 and went up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

the ones they sell aren't proper bonsai anyway!!! Make your own, it's the only way, you just need a bit of patience... check out garden centres sale benches for the unwanted, misshapen shrubs - you can pick up them up for next to nothing. Google how to bonsai, it's not hard:)

A lot of plants and shrubs in these DIY places wither and dry out. It's just that they don't get the proper care and watering there. Generally it's just the leaves and if you bring them home they will revive once you give them some tlc and have a little talk with them etc.

Bonsai is a notoriously difficult plant to keep though as far as I remember. I'd never pick up one for the house. I also have no luck with any kind of fern, so I avoid them. I may be wrong about the Bonsai. Best of luck with it. If you really like them, go for it. They are very pretty. Would look lovely in a contemporary minimilistic pad.

Advertisement