Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a n95 8gb and want to reset it to factory settings?

Options
  • 14-05-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

How do you do this?

The reason i'm going this is because memory is being used and i don't know why, i have nothing running and i've only 2 games installed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

The Nokia Software Updater will either update you to the latest firmware or, if you've already got the latest, allow you to re-install it. Either way it goes back to a factory install, you loose anything you added to internal memory.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

deadbloke wrote: »
    The Nokia Software Updater will either update you to the latest firmware or, if you've already got the latest, allow you to re-install it. Either way it goes back to a factory install, you loose anything you added to internal memory.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update

you don't lose contacts as long as they are on sim card?

is there a quick way to see if my contacts are saved on the sim or the phone memory?

You won't loose your sim card contacts, but you would definitely loose any on the phone memory. I assume if they're on the memory card they'd be ok, but best to back them up before you do anything. You can use Nokia's Ovi suite to do this.

I've just noticed that you can also reset to factory settings via Tools->Settings->General->Factory Settings, rather than use the updater application.

Whichever method you use, and regardless of updating or rolling back firmware, you should back up personal data regularly anyway - contacts, messages, photos, etc. Ovi Suite looks after all this but I prefer the older Nokia PC suite - not sure if you can still get that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

You could back up the phone contacts to your desktop using the Nokia Pc Suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try this. Turn off your phone, then turn it back.
    While its turning press and hold the following buttons:
    Call, 3, *

This should be a hard reset button that will restore your n95 to its original settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Is it memory as in RAM being being used or as in file space?

If its the former you might have applications running in the backgroungmd. Hold down the menu key to see a list of running applications and press C to end them

If its the latter you might have a lot of messages and have the phone set to use the phone memory instead of the memory card. Go to messaging-options-settings-other-memory in use and set it to memory card

Sam Vimes wrote: »

If its the former you might have applications running in the backgroungmd. Hold down the menu key to see a list of running applications and press C to end them

If its the latter you might have a lot of messages and have the phone set to use the phone memory instead of the memory card. Go to messaging-options-settings-other-memory in use and set it to memory card

You can verify the memory status by opening Menu->Options->Memory Details->Phone memory/Memory card. This will give you a break down on whats taking up space.

Memory Details:
    133mb - memory in use
    608kb - free memory
    3kb - calender
    29kb - contacts
    29kb - messages
    0kb - images
    0kb - sound files
    0kb - video clips
    144kb - documents
    0kb - midi apps

Holding menu key, the only thing running is "standby"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Call, 3, *

This should be a hard reset button that will restore your n95 to its original settings.

This works, just wiped mine the other day. I already had the mass memory formatted though so i don't know if it empties that.

Memory Details:
    133mb - memory in use
    608kb - free memory
    3kb - calender
    29kb - contacts
    29kb - messages
    0kb - images
    0kb - sound files
    0kb - video clips
    144kb - documents
    0kb - midi apps

Holding menu key, the only thing running is "standby"?

Not many clues there as to whats causing the problem - but you are critically low on memory, only 608Kb! This memory is used by the phone as internal RAM, so if it runs out it causes the problems you've been having.

Two things I can think of will cause this - a memory leak by some application or files being added by "Data transfer" mode rather than via PC Suite mode. Do you use the phone for music or video?

Either way it'd be solved by a factory reset, but I'd have a look around the file system using Menu->Tools->File mgr. to see if there's a load of unusual files somewhere. The first tab in the File Manager is internal memory.

• Advertisement

Memory Details:
    133mb - memory in use
    608kb - free memory

That's your problem, not running apps. Delete some files or move them to the memory card. In the file manager you can see which files are on the phone memory or the card. It could be your messages though which won't show up in the file manager so try the thing I said above about switching to the memory cqrd. Either way there's no need to do a factory reset at this stage.

It's could to be your messages though which won't show up in the file manager so try the thing I said above about switching to the memory cqrd. Either way there's no need to do a factory reset at this stage.

There's only 29kb worth of messages on the phone memory, so that's not what's causing it.

That's your problem, not running apps. Delete some files or move them to the memory card. In the file manager you can see which files are on the phone memory or the card. It could be your messages though which won't show up in the file manager so try the thing I said above about switching to the memory cqrd. Either way there's no need to do a factory reset at this stage.

See that's the thing, i have no files, no pictures/vid/music on the internal memory

See that's the thing, i have no files, no pictures/vid/music on the internal memory

Ah right, factory reset it is so. MunsterCycling's instructions for the hard reset will work but before you do that you should back up your contacts with the pc suite or www.zyb.com.

Ah right, factory reset it is so. MunsterCycling's instructions for the hard reset will work but before you do that you should back up your contacts with the pc suite or www.zyb.com.

Is there a quick way to check if my contacts are saved to the phone memory or the 8gb memory

Is there a quick way to check if my contacts are saved to the phone memory or the 8gb memory

You can copy everything to the 8GB memory to be sure but I think both the phone memory and the 8GB memory will be wiped when you do a hard reset. They probably wno't be deleted if they're on the sim which you can check by opening the contacts and pressing options->sim contacts->sim directory but I don't think the phone saves to the sim by default. You might have some old contacts on there but it's doubtful that new contacts have been saved there as you've entered them.

But regardless of where the contacts are you should still do a backup. Even if you don't end up needing it everyone should always have their contacts backed up

Call, 3, *

This didn't seem to work :o

I turned phone on, entered pin, then held down these 3 buttons, nothing happened

This didn't seem to work :o

I turned phone on, entered pin, then held down these 3 buttons, nothing happened

You start pressing the buttons immediately after you press the on button. Waiting until the phone has loaded and you're at the pin entry stage is too late

All right, that worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help/info everyone

Advertisement