Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Communications

Options
  • 14-05-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going there next year, but not sure yet. I can choose between Iadt and DIT. I'm aiming a bit more toward DIT but would like some more info.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me whether the Vis com course there is worthwhile, and what the college itself is like. Thankyou!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I dont know if it would be too late for you but I would drop along to the DIT degree show and look at the work they produce and have a chat with some of the students. Its on the 8th to the 12th of June in "The Complex" in Smithfield Square and its open 10 until 10.

Anyone from the public can go from the 9th on and its free in. That way you will be able ot get a good idea about the course. More details to come but they will be up on www.designdit.com and there is a facebook group for it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Oh thankyou!!! I'll definitely have a look if I can! I'd be very interested in seeing some of their work :) Hopefully it'll help me in my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

Visiting the degree show is a great idea. On the calendar for my daughter now.
    Anybody any thoughts on Vis Com in DIT or industrial design in NCAD. She has been offereed both and can't decide between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Im doing product design in DIT which I think is a much better degree then the NCAD industrial design. NCAD can make things look great and thats all good and well but in DIT we have a much better understanding of the engineering end of things and how everything works so in terms of desigining an end product that is ready for production DIT is better. I would say however there is a very strong emphisis on the technical end and that might not suite everyone. Looking at the years behind us I can see that every year the work is getting better and better as well as the course develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Im doing product design in DIT which I think is a much better degree then the NCAD industrial design. NCAD can make things look great and thats all good and well but in DIT we have a much better understanding of the engineering end of things and how everything works so in terms of desigining an end product that is ready for production DIT is better. I would say however there is a very strong emphisis on the technical end and that might not suite everyone. Looking at the years behind us I can see that every year the work is getting better and better as well as the course develops.

I'm also studying DIT product design degree. Looking back at it, I think it's completely wrong to study that sort of occupation in 4 years flat out. Same with graphic design. It would be a lot better to study it with 3 months of work experience thrown in between some semesters. Product and graphic design involves so much material, that if you study it flat out, you will get mixed up and this will result in work that is both poorly considered and half-baked.

As for graphic design, I've seen an exhibition of Chinese students' work, and it looks almost exactly the same as that produced by Western students. It just shows that the flat out, 4 year degree method just doesn't work.

So in conclusion, I hate to say it, but don't study design in Ireland, unless you have superhuman resilience and exceptional creativity. Here are two colleges that I would recommend: University of Cincinatti in USA: University of Cincinatti page, and Art Center college of Design in USA and Switzerland: http://www.artcenter.edu/. These colleges set up students with work placements during their study period, and that gives them a chance to concentrate on a small number of areas and improve them constantly. Also, nearly every graduate lands a design job after graduation. In the case of Art Center, however, you have to pay over 80,000 $ for 3 years of the college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement