Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reduce the sweetness of a sauce?

Options
  • 14-05-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got some of the Seeds of Change organic sweet & sour sauce jars here but I've found them to be waaaay too sweet. :eek: Any suggestions on how to "de-sweeten" them a bit? I had a quick look around but couldn't see this sort of thing covered before.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Add more sour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

more vinegar maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Can give that a lash - might be a way to get more apple cider vinegar into me.
    'Tis rank but has a dramatic effect on my morning back pain. Two birds, one stone.

Was that a(n educated) guess or have ye actually tried something like that, with success?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Dilute with chicken stock would work. You could thicken with cornstarch if needed and add some rice wine/rice wine vinegar.

Alternatively make your own sauce
    http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Ken%20hom's%20sweet%20%26%20sour%20pork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Was that a(n educated) guess or have ye actually tried something like that, with success?

Just a guess! Try with a little bit and see how it goes I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

add some worchestershire sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

I'm guessing there's a reason why no one has said salt...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

I would try a dash of soya sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

As others have said, add more vinegar to increase the sour element. If you need a lot of vinegar, try reducing it over a low heat before adding it to the sauce - it will prevent the sauce becoming too runny.

Advertisement