Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice Dilemna

Options
  • 14-05-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I'm in 4th year and we're choosing our subjects and I'm stuck between doing Accounting and Biology. I'm already doing Chemistry & Home Ec so I don't want to do 2 sciences but I didn't do Business for JC. Both Biology and Accountancy have terrible teachers. What should I do? Which course is longer? Which is harder? Which is more interesting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Can't speak for accounting but I love biology. I have a beyond terrible teacher, but luckily the subject is interesting and straightforward enough that it can be managed with little outside help. Chemistry and biology also complement each other nicely and stuff you learn in both is applicable to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Any particular reason for not wanting to do two sciences?

Biology and Chemistry are on entirely different planes. Biology is just simply learning stuff off, Chemistry is that AND understanding what you're learning off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Fad wrote: »
    Any particular reason for not wanting to do two sciences?

Biology and Chemistry are on entirely different planes. Biology is just simply learning stuff off, Chemistry is that AND understanding what you're learning off.....
    Biology is very learnable and easy to understand alright, consequently the course is quite long. Personally speaking, I love biology and would recommend it to anybody interested in the human body, things like DNA, and abit of biochem comes in too (eg. respiration, photosynthesis). In my opinion, biology and chemistry are complimentary, but then again, all the sciences are (physica and chemistry also have common ground).

I can't speak for accountancy though, sorry. AFAIK, JC Business has very little relevance to LC accountancy, but don't quote me on that. The only thing remotely "accountancy" in JC business is bookkeeping, profit and loss accounts and household budgets. None of those are too difficult, so I'd say you'd be okay for it. JC Business has far more in common with LC business rather than LC accoutancy afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I do chemistry and biology and I love them, its true that they compliment each other, certain chemical parts of the bio course are much easier when you do chem (like respiration, or balancing equations etc)

I dont do acc so I cant really comment on it but everyone in my school HATES it with a passion, but they always finish their course in 5th year and spend the entire 6th year revising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I did acounting for my leaving last year and while the teacher was not good I didnt like the subject at all and found honours difficult enough but then dropped to pass and your guaranteed like 4 known questions every year but i regret doing accounting so much it was a complete waste of time for me and if I had to make the decision again id pick biology, my advice to you is pick biology but at the end of the day its up to you, best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Biology is excellent. we have an excellent teacher and shes a legend! :) but do your study in 5th year and keep up.
    DO not do history unless your willing to study it in 5th year too cause i do it and i am tryna cram everything now so, all i can say, regardin all subjects, study it in 5th yr. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Accounting is tough going, and not easy. You need a good teacher to explain it well.

Biology can be self taught nearly. Only thing are experiments, but you can get average answers and just learn off the procedure. Biology would be my choice.

I do both by the way, so this is from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Thanks for all of the help guys. I actually changed my mind again though. -.-
    I'm either going to do Biology, Chemistry & Business or Accouning, Chemistry & Home Ec.

Which combination would be easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I'd advise you to not do accounting. It's a very tough subject. Sure it's all practice, but it takes up a lot of your time. It's boring as hell. It's very hard to teach so a lot of teachers are quite bad. In my class everyone regrets doing accounting.
    Of course you might just love it and it has a high percentage of A1's every year, but if I were you I wouldn't take that risk. It's just way too hard and way too time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Thanks for all of the help guys. I actually changed my mind again though. -.-
    I'm either going to do Biology, Chemistry & Business or Accouning, Chemistry & Home Ec.

Which combination would be easier?

DEFINITELY option 1. Home Ec sounds okay and all apart from the project, loads of girls in my year drove themselves completely insane during that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I'd say that the Biology, Chemistry and Business combination would be much better than the other one. I didn't do Biology for the LC but I've been doing it in college for the past year and I really love it (well, apart from anything to do with Botany - I just find it horrendously boring!). It's a very interesting subject and not particularly hard to understand, although you need to be prepared for a lot of rote learning. I wouldn't worry too much about not having a good teacher for Bio - to be honest, the amount you actually learn in class in subjects where there's a huge amount of information to cover is very limited, so most of the learning has to be done on your own anyways (at least in my experience). Having a good teacher is far more important for languages, as well as subjects that are hard to understand (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and so on.)

I did do both Chemistry and Business for my LC. Chemistry seems very tough and difficult to understand at first, but it's interesting, and if you put the time in just making sure you can get your head around everything it gets a lot easier. Also, the course is relatively short and the paper is one of the more predictable ones (generally). Business is easy to understand but the paper itself is quite tricky (for a variety of reasons) and there's a lot of learning involved. It's not a particularly interesting subject in my opinion, but I'd still advise it over Accounting, which I've heard is quite difficult, especially if you don't have a good teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

I know this is different to your combos buuuut...

Biology, Home Ec and Business is quite a popular combination with girls in my year, because there's some crossover between Biology and Home Ec, and some crossover between Home Ec and Business. The danger is that they're all subjects you literally have to sit down and learn off a lot for. Chemistry is supposed to be very difficult to crack, but once you crack it and understand it the course is apparently doable, once you put the work in... so maybe chemistry, home ec and business? There's probably some crossover between chemistry and home ec, I know there's a lot to do with food and elements in home ec.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

zam wrote: »
    DEFINITELY option 1. Home Ec sounds okay and all apart from the project, loads of girls in my year drove themselves completely insane during that
    Oh right. Thanks. The only thing is, I got a B in HL Home Ec in the JC, and I didn't do Business at all. Would I still be able to obtain as high marks in HL Business?

Advertisement