Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in Berlin

• 14-05-2010 2:22pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here's a sample of cycling in Berlin...

Bicycle lights at eye level to cyclists on main routes and these go green before other traffic (or orange and then green as it is over there):

4583999947_d1426e0fac.jpg

4583983795_b727192697.jpg

Full lane-sized bike lanes where there is room:

4583998975_b06e024681.jpg

And room left for car doors (also note this is a three-laned 30km/h street):
    4584000649_0128ae63a6.jpg

On footpath cycle lanes only seem to be used where there is more than enough room for pedestrians (lanes segregated from both footpath and road were used too):

4584006069_c23e710438.jpg

Some back streets with bike markings in the middle of the road:

4584618640_376ace6f0c.jpg

Cyclists allowed both directions on all the one-way streets I noticed:

4584619294_4ace199cd0.jpg

4582740662_7b9dbf8e9f.jpg

Signs on entry roads to these streets note that cycle traffic is both ways:

4583994779_2af2cde1c1.jpg

Traffic lights on larger roads for those making four-point turns (?) -- like the turning used in Denmark? ...

4584744432_7db4bbd55c.jpg

Construction works has road closed off to all traffic bar cyclists, which are given temporary lane markings (yellow) and bicycle traffic lights.

4584013235_df9f3daac2.jpg

Bicycles allowed on U Bahn, S Bahn, and regional trains (with ticket, I think it's something like half price of a normal fare?)
    4584118133_eeb8a6f86a.jpg

DB have the bicycle carriages clearly marked, normally the carriages at both ends of trains:
    4584125991_bf635d9176.jpg

Bicycles allowed to be cycled in parks, ok I only have a photo of them parked, but you get the idea:
    4583980151_09d44dacf8.jpg

Comments

What a depressing contrast to the images in the "Documenting dublin's cycle lanes" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Looks good. I saw a few ropey ones there myself, but on the whole I thought Berlin was very nice to cycle around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

And:

30km/h zones in residential areas (some paved with stone, some not):
    4582739604_a671c337b2.jpg

And 30km/h on larger streets (like the quays here in Dublin):

4584115979_b6051044f9.jpg

4584115207_07249ac8ca.jpg

And to prove 30km/h is not just for the benefit of cyclists, segregated cycle lane still 30km/h:

4582115929_4a06b4fca7.jpg

Only a few I seen were marked as timed (as was another argument against 30km/h in Dublin):

4584626158_e60a5e0301.jpg

Some back streets were marked with 10km/h:

4584620670_e09db08009.jpg

And, others had mixed use sighs:

4584638282_910805aeb7.jpg

4584009005_fe06ff7913.jpg

In the Netherlands they tend to dispense with cycling facilities in 30 zones, because the speed disparity is so low.

Edit: I re-found a clip about 30 zones and facilities in the Netherlands. I thought it was quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=markenlei#p/u/0/mIdQ8RMDtGM

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Looks good. I saw a few ropey ones there myself, but on the whole I thought Berlin was very nice to cycle around.

There were some, but the real reasons I noted them was on balance the cycle lanes are of a far higher standard than here.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    There were some, but the real reasons I noted them was on balance the cycle lanes are of a far higher standard than here.
    Darn tootin'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

hey i ll be in berlin all next week :) i ll have a look at all this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I'm going to Berlin during the summer, i'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this, looks great!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was in Aachen last year, its a big uni city and a whole lot of people cycle and the infrastructure there is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Another big difference is that you can lock your bike to itself in Berlin and expect it to still be there when you get back.

• Advertisement

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Another big difference is that you can lock your bike to itself in Berlin and expect it to still be there when you get back.

Really?

While I might have seen the odd bicycle just locked to it self outside shops etc in Berlin, I didn't see that many. Most I can remember were locked to stands.

Or maybe my notion of notable on this is twisted after seen streets and streets of bicycles only wheel-locked in Copenhagen. On the other hand, the Netherlands is noted for its large-scale bicycle theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

monument wrote: »
    While I might have seen the odd bicycle just locked to it self outside shops etc in Berlin, I didn't see that many. Most I can remember were locked to stands.

Yes, when I was there last month I saw a lot of bicycles just locked to themselves. Discussed this with my friends who moved there from Dublin a couple years ago and they confirmed they do this all the time, not a bother.

Even the bikes locked to stands aren't locked up anywhere near as securely as they'd be in Dublin... one cheap cable lock seems to be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Yes, when I was there last month I saw a lot of bicycles just locked to themselves. Discussed this with my friends who moved there from Dublin a couple years ago and they confirmed they do this all the time, not a bother.

Even the bikes locked to stands aren't locked up anywhere near as securely as they'd be in Dublin... one cheap cable lock seems to be enough.
    Don't let that testimony fool you. Bike theft is as bad, if not worse in Berlin. Thieves are a little more discerning, and steal higher value bikes (they have a hell of a lot to choose from), while the majority of poorly locked bikes are lower value city bikes. Aside, just because bike are locked poorly, does not mean they never get nicked.

BTW, one cheap cable lock is enough for the majority of bikes in Dublin too. I would wager that this exact discussion is also on a Berlin board on cycling, saying Dublin is a better, safer, less theft prone city to cycle in, where people lock using only cheap cable locks. The grass is always greener on the other side, and only people who care to securely lock their bike notice an abundance of "cheap cable locks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I arrived in Berlin today and I saw that a few times. I have to say the infrastructure is really good and there are lots and lots of bike rentals around the city. I haven't hired one yet as I am here for work and I had little time to do this today.
    I also saw a 5 people circular bikes where everyone seems to be cycling around a circle? I asked the driver to explain to me the mechanics and he said "No idea I am only the driver".
    I only saw one hipster on a fixie but lots of single speed bikes, some crappier than others.

Berlin seems to be inhabited by hippies ...

I arrived in Berlin today and I saw that a few times. I have to say the infrastructure is really good and there are lots and lots of bike rentals around the city. I haven't hired one yet as I am here for work and I had little time to do this today.
    I also saw a 5 people circular bikes where everyone seems to be cycling around a circle? I asked the driver to explain to me the mechanics and he said "No idea I am only the driver".
    I only saw one hipster on a fixie but lots of single speed bikes, some crappier than others.

Berlin seems to be inhabited by hippies ...

Is this something like the five person bike you seen?

http://media.techeblog.com/images/strangestbike_1.jpg

strangestbike_1.jpg

I think these are just usually rented.

Advertisement