Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA in Technology Management with Open University

• 14-05-2010 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am interested in pursuing an MBA - this one looked interesting and IT is the area I currently work and would like to continue working in.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/f03.htm

This seems to have a good business type focus, but also there is an opportunity to tackle this over a longer period than 2 years which would be useful when trying to balance work, familiy, social and study together.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone studied with Open Universtity before - how did you find it?

BooBar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Folks,

If no one has direct experience of this MBA programme but has experience at post graduate level of the Open University perhaps you could let me know your thoughts.

How was your experience? How did you find the course materials? Was the distance learning a challenge? Were there good on-line tools to help you overcome this challenge.

Boobar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fionn23ie

Hi - I am also interested in doing this MBA. Just starting to investigate it seriously. All I know is it begins this November. I will keep you posted on what I learn about it.

Fionn23ie wrote: »
    Hi - I am also interested in doing this MBA. Just starting to investigate it seriously. All I know is it begins this November. I will keep you posted on what I learn about it.

Thanks very much Fionn23ie, I will also passon any information I find ou to you.

Boobar

Fionn23ie wrote: »

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was looking to see if anyone had taken up this MBA programme with Open University?

Fionn23ie, have you any feedback? Or has anyone else any feedback on how it's going for them?

Any information on quality of course and workload would be greatly appreciated.

Boobar

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Hi there,

Not a direct response to your query but I did my BSc there. As you may have discovered by now, OU is extremely modular and each module is generally extremely focused. You do research very early on and not to mention (but should STRESS) 95% independent study. All your study is directed and highly relevant.

I've looked several times at postgrad with OU, but yet to settle on subject. If I was doing MBA, I personally, would choose OU hands down. I'm familiar with their system, and while tough at times, methodology surpassed red brick colleges I've attended.

So, while I haven't taken course at that level yet, I do honestly believe it would be a well directed course (ive espoused my thoughts on this line elsewhere on boards). So long as its relevant to you of course! Check out their uk rankings, you'll be surprised. Hope that's *some* help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The OU is highly rated in that it is triple accredited meaning that there standards are of a level to secure these awards.

The learning is focused on online with residential schools for the main subject areas, though some do not have the resi's. The latter are great learning experiences with locations throughout the UK and Europe usually over a weekend.

Probably not as an effective method of learning as say Smurfit where it is face to face and with strong group work, nevertheless for busy exec's the OU is ideal. The resources are excellent, thorough and blended with interactive case studies, text books and online tutor group forums.

Courses normally last 6 months with 3 assignments to do and possibly a 3 hour exam at the end. There is also a number of days schools and tutorials held on Saturday mornings during the course. Each course is assigned a tutor that facilitates your on line learning, discussions and marks the assignments.

Worth a look. Can't comment on the technology MBA as not my field.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I can't comment on the MBA either but the OU does have an excellent reputation
    And definitely well recognized around Ireland.

There are bound to be other candidates in Ireland so you can even arrange to meet up yourselves if you want.
    But you will meet everyone at the residential parts.

Was thinking of doing a course in History, more of a hobby realy and something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cherrymuckle

boobar wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was looking to see if anyone had taken up this MBA programme with Open University?

Fionn23ie, have you any feedback? Or has anyone else any feedback on how it's going for them?

Any information on quality of course and workload would be greatly appreciated.

Boobar

The Open University is the worlds first successful distance teaching university. OU is triple accredited and has been voted among the top 5 UK Universities for the quality of it's teaching. For most the main appeal of OU is the flexibility of the courses to suit your needs. You can take up to 5 years to complete your MBA if you're juggling it with work and/or family commitments - or you can speed through and finish in 2 and a half years. At BusinessBecause you can read interviews with OU alumni, discover all the school's news and network with students both past and present. Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fionn23ie

Folks,

I've just finished year 1 of the OU MBA. I have to say I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a lot of work taking between 16-18 hours per week for the first few months and slightly less from then on (I as developed more efficient ways of getting through the workload) but it was also very rewarding. We had seven continuous assessment assignments to hand in during the year and a final exam last week. Learning was delivered online and through a series of books posted out for each of the units. We had two face to face tutorials (day long), a five day intensive residential school and several online tutorials. There were two classes in Ireland (one in Dublin and in Cork based). I was slotted into the Cork class although it would have been easier for me to attend the Dublin class! I think I could have changed but the class worked well together and I learned a lot from them. Our tutor was excellent. He was very responsive and facilitated class collaboration brilliantly. The delivery suited me perfectly as it gave me the flexibility to study when I wanted to (for the most part) and I didn't have to do too much travelling for tutorials (and of course no travelling at all for lectures). Overall I would highly recommend the OU MBA (so far). If anyone has any questions I would be delighted to answer them or even take a call to discuss. All the best.

Hi Fionn

I have just started to become interested in this MBA.
    I'm not sure when I would be able to start as I have a toddler and another little one due in a month.

I was wondering why you chose this MBA over others available? I also would be keen to find out what the cost of it is - I am searching the OU website for fees but currently going around in circles trying to work out the overall cost!!

Tnx.

• Advertisement
Advertisement