Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

That thread seems to be only dealing with the cadets though. As far as i know, the people in this thread are for General Service enlistment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tekkers

yea i think thats just cadets. How long does it take to decide

Just got an email from them there...

Although I was found suitable for employment, I was not in the top 64 scores from the interviews but they'll keep me on file in the case that another class of recruits gets the go ahead. At least the wait is over!

Best of luck to everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jim048

That thread seems to be only dealing with the cadets though. As far as i know, the people in this thread are for General Service enlistment.

What is the difference between cadets and General Service enlistment?
    Never got it. I thought if you applied for the navy everyone is in the same boat (no pun intended)... and when will people who applied for the navy know what the story is? I know you said you got an email from them today letting you know how ya got on (hard luck btw) so why didn't everyone get an email today?It's a joke at this stage. I know somebody in the army and he was telling me that this week they are sending out all the emails to the people who failed but that's hardly true either? Surely they would send them all out at the same time. . . anyone want to shed some light on this anyway, heads wrecked waiting at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

jim048 wrote: »
    What is the difference between cadets and General Service enlistment?
    Never got it. I thought if you applied for the navy everyone is in the same boat (no pun intended)

Cadets become commissioned officers, General Service applicants become Other Ranks. There is a vast difference between the two streams, I suggest you read the careers sections on military.ie and google search phrases such as "commissioned officer", "non commissioned officer" and "other rank".

As for the status of your application, why don't you ring the Naval Service Manpower Officer and enquire?

• Advertisement

The Cadets are the trainees taken on to become officers whereas general service is for example, a Private/Corporal/Sergeant etc in the Army or an Ordinary Seaman, Able Seaman, Leading Seaman etc in the Navy.
    Here is a line from the email they sent me, hopefuly this might help.

''All candidates who passed the interviews were ranked in an order of merit according to their score at interview. The top 64 candidates in the order of merit were called forward for medicals which are been held at the Naval Base in Haulbowline, Co Cork.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LMG

Just got an email from them there...

Although I was found suitable for employment, I was not in the top 64 scores from the interviews but they'll keep me on file in the case that another class of recruits gets the go ahead. At least the wait is over!

Best of luck to everyone else!

Ya i got that email also yesterday,hard luck.Would anyone know what the odds would be on a further class of recruits being sanctioned in the next six months?

LMG wrote: »
    Ya i got that email also yesterday,hard luck.Would anyone know what the odds would be on a further class of recruits being sanctioned in the next six months?

No real way of knowing for sure but i guess that the odds are slim. Unless there's a lot of retirements or promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

best of luck to those that got through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tekkers

I was wondering how many normal recruits got a call back for the medical.

• Advertisement

Tekkers wrote: »
    I was wondering how many normal recruits got a call back for the medical.

If you're talking about the Navy General Service, there was 64 called up for the medicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Bumping up this thread, I did that aptitude test for the Navy but came nowhere unfortunately. Now they sent me an email yesterday asking if I wanted to do the fitness, medicals and interview all in one day sometime during March...

Anyone else get this?

yea i got the email myself last friday, made it as far as the interview last time and was told i was suitable but would be kept on a panel for the future.. I've just to do the medical and fitness myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maximus-2100

i got the email also, but i only got as far as the aptitude test the last time then they rang me today asking whether i still was interested in joining up, to which of course i said yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The Isometric test was found to be counter productive.

Yeah I've the same story as maximus-2100, didn't ring me tho... Just an email and told me I had to reply by the 11th Feb. Wonder how many they contacted...?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

Same with me, done the aptitude test and was unsuccessfull, and got the phone call today from them saying check my emails and asking if I was still interested.

Was not expecting this at all very strange.

Sure might aswell have another shot at it.

Some familiar usernames showing up, maybe they came on boards and said "lets give these poor fu*ckers a chance!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LMG

I did the interview but wasnt called for the medical. got an email then friday saying I will be called for medical and fitness tests. hopefully will do well but seems that there are a lot of people being called, I didn't think that there would be.
    Does anyone know if the first class has been sorted for definite yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

Sounds like alot are being called alright. should be pretty tough to get in.

best of luck everyone.

• Advertisement

LMG wrote: »
    I did the interview but wasnt called for the medical. got an email then friday saying I will be called for medical and fitness tests. hopefully will do well but seems that there are a lot of people being called, I didn't think that there would be.
    Does anyone know if the first class has been sorted for definite yet?

I'm the same as you, thought it was only the people from the interview stage that were getting called forward but musn't be.. Never heard anything about the first class but maybe they haven't been selected yet either? Looking forward to their next email/call though, might explain a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭why so serious?

I got as far as the interview stage last time aswell, got an email yesterday calling me for a medical, didn't say when or anything else though, I was f*cking delighted because I was full shore I'm in seeing as I've already passed everything else but looks like loads of people are getting called back, anyone have anymore info at all? Am I pretty much in or is that wishful thinking?

I'd doubt they contacted all 1000 applicants though? It costs a lot of money to do the medicals, draw blood, urine tests, etc. The medicals is fairly time consuming as well and takes up the best part of the day. And their doing all three stages in one day over the course of a month. 28 Feb - 25 Mar.

Lets say 10 people per day, thats 20 working days so 200 people? Take that last sentence with a pinch of salt by the way! :)

Got the email today saying to report at the Naval Barracks at 07.30 on the 28th for the full day. My original email said i only had to do medical and fitness as i've already done the interview? I'm going to call them and see if i've to do it again. Best of luck to everyone else!

I'm down on the 9th, anyone know of a bed and breakfast near haulbowline? Can't seem to find one... :confused:

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I'm down on the 9th, anyone know of a bed and breakfast near haulbowline? Can't seem to find one... :confused:

Carrigaline is your best bet, I don't think there are any in Ringaskiddy. Have you transport?

Carrigaline is your best bet, I don't think there are any in Ringaskiddy. Have you transport?

No, traveling down from Kilkenny the day before by bus... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Would the launch from Cóbh be an option?

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    No, traveling down from Kilkenny the day before by bus... :-/

Have you tried Raffeen? It's a good walk, but its the nearest.

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    Would the launch from Cóbh be an option?

Unless its expressly permitted on the notification, I wouldn't.

Advertisement