Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem/Router Needed for Ethernet Connection

• 14-05-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've just gotten a fixed wireless broadband service and i'm looking for a wireless modem/router so that I can use my laptop all over the house.
    The connection is a ethernet (lan) cable, what type of router is needed for this, I can only find DSL or Cable types mentioned in ads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

cable type, not DSL

If you've any in ads you have your eye on, post the links here if you want a comment on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Would this one work?

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=509867#

It says connection types are Gigabit Ethernet (4xLAN, 1xWAN)?

Also is it a router or modem router I need?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

What exactly do you mean, a fixed wireless BB service???

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need a router, not a modem. Stay away from Belkin, they're crap. Look for a Linksys. Probably best getting one with wireless-N standard now too.

• Advertisement

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean, a fixed wireless BB service???

gb--

There's an aerial on the roof getting the signal from a transmitter on a hill a few miles away

jor el wrote: »
    You need a router, not a modem. Stay away from Belkin, they're crap. Look for a Linksys. Probably best getting one with wireless-N standard now too.

Thanks jor el. I'll see if I can get a Linksys one this weekend.

Advertisement