Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on the Streets (Henry Street)

Options
  • 14-05-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

I was coming back from College Green earlier and was passing Marks & Spencer on Henry street. There was a foreign person begging outside the shop. Stood over him was an 'undesirable' who was telling him to move on. After a little bit of hassle from the Irish guy the other begger moved on. At this point a foreign women who must have been with the begger started giving out to the undesirable. After a moment or two of shouting she began punching and slapping the guy. He eventually retaliated and kicked her several times in the stomach.

At this point another foreign begger who had been with the other two but who had moved on came leaping out of the crowd feet first and into the side of the Irish undesirable knocking him to the ground. The foreign dude lept to his feet and down Liffey Street closely followed by the guy who was knocked to the ground and two other undesirables.

The foreign guy must have gotten away as the Irish guys eventually came back and looked around aimlessly. A garda finally arrived on the scene and the undesirable began pleading his situation. The foreign women saw the guard and made her way towards him and halfway through her journey to him decided it might be a good idea to moan and half collapse on the ground.

I left things at that point and got back to work.

So folks, have you seen anything as serious as that on Dublins streets? Is it going to escalate from her? I can imagine things will only get worse from here on in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Ah a friend of mine was telling me he saw this too. I wonder how long til it's up on Youtube. Hopefully soon...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I saw a taxi screech to a halt today on Queen Street. The driver jumped out and went around to berate some other driver who had committed some grave error (I didn't see the initial incident, just heard the horns and looked around).

The taximan forgot to put on the handbrake though and as he shouted abuse at the other guy his taxi rolled nicely into a signpost.

I laughed.

Fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Am I the only one who has noticed a marked increase in begging on Dublin's streets recently? I imagine there's a lot of competition for the best pitches. They've also upped the ante with their gimmicks (like the guy who's been begging on Henry St. barefoot for some time now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bugler wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has noticed a marked increase in begging on Dublin's streets recently?

No you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bugler wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has noticed a marked increase in begging on Dublin's streets recently? I imagine there's a lot of competition for the best pitches. They've also upped the ante with their gimmicks (like the guy who's been begging on Henry St. barefoot for some time now).

No I think most people must have noticed the increased numbers. I don't know if it's the same fellow but the foreigner who was moved on was barefoot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This shiit is making a mockery of our capital city.

Its coming into summer and one of the few industries we have left is tourism.
    If people from other countries are goingto be witnessing brawling Romas and junkies in broad daylight the prognosis for our tourism industry is very poor.

On a slightly different note are the guards in store st completely and absolutley blind?
    Every day in the middle of the day there's an open air heroin market taking place on marlboro st and north earl st..i was walking by at 5.30 the other day and i could clearly,from 6 feet away see a scumbag with a handfull of wrapped heroin deals,inviting his customers to take thier pick.

Where are the guards when this is going on?
    Patrolling good-old grafton st or standing motionless outside the GPO in case an old woman loses her spectacles.
    If we want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

In fairness to tourism and stuff but every city in the world has problems like this, though from my travels there is usually bigger gangs hanging around intimidating shopkeepers and causing a bit of a nuisance. As for beggars they are nearly everywhere too, so I wouldn't think tourists would care so much unless they have never been in a city in their entire life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Degsy wrote: »
    This shiit is making a mockery of our capital city.

Its coming into summer and one of the few industries we have left is tourism.
    If people from other countries are goingto be witnessing brawling Romas and junkies in broad daylight the prognosis for our tourism industry is very poor.

On a slightly different note are the guards in store st completely and absolutley blind?
    Every day in the middle of the day there's an open air heroin market taking place on marlboro st and north earl st..i was walking by at 5.30 the other day and i could clearly,from 6 feet away see a scumbag with a handfull of wrapped heroin deals,inviting his customers to take thier pick.

Patrolling good-old grafton st or standing motionless outside the GPO in case an old woman loses her spectacles.
    If we want to

Couldn't agree more - whatsmore the damage to our tourist economy is not something you can easily fix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Sounds like 4 undesirables to me,

For once I find myself agreeing with Degsy, the city centre really does seem to be falling to bits. There has been a massive increase in the number of beggers. There also seems to be a marked increase in the number of junkies within the city centre and this 'clinic' on Wolfe Tone street won't help things at all.

I have to admit I'm embarassed by the city centre. O'Connell street just looks appalling with the numerous fast food outlets, some woeful buildings etc. The boardwalk is disgusting and the sheer number of beggers/junkies in the city centre is unbelievable. Young troublemakers roam the streets with seeming impunity.

• Advertisement

Masada wrote: »
    Sounds like 4 undesirables to me,

I agree, I was trying to avoid trouble by not naming the folks involved directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

These dirty disgusting gypsy bastards I hate the ****ers.

See that prick on Lincoln Place every weekday morning with his cup out, then the turns the filthy begging horrible bastards take on Westland Row outside the church, the latest gimmick I saw on Thursday was the bastard had his feet bare, souls and feet filthy with dirt, covered over, attempting to look as desperate as you can get. I completely despise these bastards and for anyone not knowing there's a whole cartel of the smelly lazy good for nothings right around the city covering every area.

Fair enough to decriminalize begging but this is just complete **** seeing these wasters earn yet more free money, however little.

On my route in the morning for the past year, involves me walking from Kevin St to Pearse station at 8am, did anyone notice the guy sleeping rough in the doorway of building on Kildare St, just before Nassau st. He's not one of them though, no he seems Irish in fact.

Often asleep there as I pass, I don't see any cup or money being given there. Yet from time to time I notice suckers give these horrible excuses of human beings something, just so they can go back to their sheltered dwellings and do whatever. Not some doorway in Dublin city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I was walking past that kunt with no shoes the other day carrying a rolled-up newspaper and I found myself overcome by an urge to smack him over the head with it. He now seems to be affecting a shiver like he's freezing cold (it was 18 degrees out.) The worst thing is that some oul wans in their 60s or 70s will fall for this and give him enough for a pair of shoes.
    That these people are so lacking in dignity that they'll travel 2000 miles to squat barefoot in a foreign street rather than work in McDonalds or Spar or picking fruit is just beyond my comprehension.
    I already mentioned it in the DCC feedback thread but all it would take is a simple council bye-law to put an end to this bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

saw a bus miss a taxi by millimetres outside the rotunda about an hour ago, the taxi cut in right on front of the bus, how there wasnt a crash is beyond me

Guys this isn't a thread about where beggers or such come from, or a thread to slate other nationalities/ethnic types. I'm simply asking the question will we see increasing trouble between our own poor/homeless and those who beg on the streets, no matter where they might come from outside of Ireland.

Please don't refer to other people as c'nuts, lets try and keep things civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jay D wrote: »
    These dirty disgusting gypsy bastards I hate the ****ers.

See that prick on Lincoln Place every weekday morning with his cup out, then the turns the filthy begging horrible bastards take on Westland Row outside the church, the latest gimmick I saw on Thursday was the bastard had his feet bare, souls and feet filthy with dirt, covered over, attempting to look as desperate as you can get. I completely despise these bastards and for anyone not knowing there's a whole cartel of the smelly lazy good for nothings right around the city covering every area.

Fair enough to decriminalize begging but this is just complete **** seeing these wasters earn yet more free money, however little.

On my route in the morning for the past year, involves me walking from Kevin St to Pearse station at 8am, did anyone notice the guy sleeping rough in the doorway of building on Kildare St, just before Nassau st. He's not one of them though, no he seems Irish in fact.

Often asleep there as I pass, I don't see any cup or money being given there. Yet from time to time I notice suckers give these horrible excuses of human beings something, just so they can go back to their sheltered dwellings and do whatever. Not some doorway in Dublin city.
    Banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I can sympathise with the guy who got banned to a certain extent. That bare foot guy does my head in, I cycle past him most mornings and he makes my blood boil. I mean a pair of shoes in penneys is probably 5 euro or something. I'm thinking of bringing an old pair of shoes into town and doing a drive by shoeing on him some morning.
    The amount of Roma beggers has become far too much, it needs to be sorted out, they contribute nothing to society, all they do is enrage normal working people.

Des do you want to go ahead and lock this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

why are people not allowed discuss this issue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I can sympathise with the guy who got banned to a certain extent. That bare foot guy does my head in, I cycle past him most mornings and he makes my blood boil. I mean a pair of shoes in penneys is probably 5 euro or something. I'm thinking of bringing an old pair of shoes into town and doing a drive by shoeing on him some morning.
    The amount of Roma beggers has become far too much, it needs to be sorted out, they contribute nothing from society, all they do is enrage normal working people.

careful now you might come across as been racist. you wouldnt want that now. remember ireland is a great tolerant country. so tolerant that we've opened the flood gates of hell onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Solution for beggars, chuggers and other annoying people on the mean streets is for no-one to give them money. No need to give them abuse, just no money.
    It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

spurious wrote: »
    Solution for beggars, chuggers and other annoying people on the mean streets is for no-one to give them money. No need to give them abuse, just no money.
    It's not rocket science.
    Here Here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

spurious wrote: »

It's very hard when they're up in your face though. I was outside The Globe with a few friends last weekend and amidst the crowd, there were about thirty beggars!

They were grabbing people's shirts and bags, holding on to them begging for money. It's not a comfortable situation to be in.

I can understand why people would possibly get frustrated or distressed if their personal space is being invaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

i was one of them two undesirables who chased the prick the cheek a him to jump from no where punching him in the face on the sli that's a coward he was lucky the security men in marks and spencers got him before we did
    they shouldn be allowed beg on the streets the way they do there every where fair play to the fella who shifted him and every one there defended his actions to the guard hahaha
    even in haveing a burger king they come up and beg for money while ur tryin to enjoy ur nice meal in peace without been hounded for money they wit there with body parts and everything in ur face no one wants to see that type a stuff young children seen that is not on they should be sent home there noting but a nuisance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Degsy wrote: »

If we want to

Why don't you tell them instead of moaning on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement