Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Advice/Photographer for Simple Photo Shoot...

• 14-05-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello,

I need to get a product photo just like this one taken for an online store I'm working on:

4352533130_bffe356bc6.jpg

Basically I need a shot of a mens t shirt and also of the womens, just of the torso as shown above. The background is irrelevant as the torso is going to be edited and superimposed on different backgrounds, I just need a decent quality shot to begin with.

I have the shirts and the models (friends with the nicest torsos I could find), what I don't have is the studio or photographer.

I have access to a high quality digital SLR but I'm guessing that without lights, I'm not going to be able to get a shot like the above? I suppose I could try outside to help solve the light issue but I don't think it would look right.

Would it be complicated/expensive to get 2 shots like the above done? Perhaps you could give me some idea of how much I should be expecting to pay, I assume it would be fairly straightforward to do?

Is there anybody here that would be interested in this job?

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

How much or are you looking for someone to "donate" ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭optimusgrime

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping you guys would let me know how much you think is a fair price.

I'm operating on a tight budget but don't expect anyone to work for free, unless they really want to:)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have you tried taking the photos yourself, if you have the camera I think you will be able to get a good result with practice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping you guys would let me know how much you think is a fair price.

I'm operating on a tight budget but don't expect anyone to work for free, unless they really want to:)

Thanks

I just sent you a PM there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Have you tried taking the photos yourself, if you have the camera I think you will be able to get a good result with practice.

I'd agree with John, if you have a decent camera (and preferably a tripod), there's no reason why you can't give it a go, some trial and error should lead you to reasonable results. As for back ground, you'll pick up some black material in a fabric store, just hang it a decent distance behind the subject and then crop tightly. What have you got to lose by trying? The upside is you have experience to gain, then if you are not happy results, get somebody to shoot them for you.

Basically, I say, don't pass up the chance to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

looking at the image theres at least 3 maybe 4 light sources...

How many pics/torso's/T-shirts are you trying to photo ?

booking a studio and photographer could cost hundreds - but will get professional looking product images - which will help in selling the images..... pictures sell !!! .... if you spend money on getting proper professional pics done and they look professional then you'll potentially get more sales (or another way of looking at it .... you'll get more people looking at the site instead of leaving due to crappy looking images)

if you invest at the start then it will be worth it .... so start saving to get a professional job done - I've been saving for over 2yrs for a website idea ... my problem is that my ideas change and the costs/requirements of the site change .... initial quotations for website idea were €20-30K (it involves a lot of programming/web code development and scripts being written etc etc)... ideally I'd find a web programmer/designer who is up for sharing profits in exchange for creating/maintaining site...anyways - thats my problem !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Where are you based?

It's not a huge job, you may find a student or other such 'amateur' strobist with a bit of lighting gear to do it for you... you could get up and running with some shots first, and invest in more down the road when you have made a little money.

I'd personally be interested in giving something like this a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Depends on where you are based, I have just done work like this 400+ product shoot for a school uniform distributor. Lastolite hilite background with studio lights, as above depends on where your based for price.

I shot on the day and supplied on the day.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have borrowed the camera (Sony A350, seems decent enough) this weekend so will have a go and see what I can do myself. That said I doubt I'll be able to get the required quality so will probably need to use one of you guys.

Am based in Dublin 4. In terms of quality it needs to be pretty good, but I'd probably be getting the shots taken again in a few months (with superior models) if the site works so am not keen to spend a lot on it now.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Would stock images do the job for you? specially if your super-imposing the design onto it, i dont know what style your tops are but if they are just plain Tees with designs, the stock option could be an option worth looking at, not expensive either if it suits your application.

Edit
    sorry read it wrong, thought you were super imposing the designs not backgrounds

• Advertisement

Sorry, I was the one that got it wrong.

I will be superimposing designs on the shirt and the superimposing this image (probably an png file) on backgrounds of varying colour.

I have a person that's going to create a photoshop mockup kit where I can change the colour of the shirt but I need the original photo.

I originally thought of using stock photos but it was dificult to find the torso ones I was looking for (there are lots of shots of t shirts themselves).

Plus I think it would be better to show the actual shirt so people will have a better idea of the fit of the shirt, how the collar looks etc.

If this turns out to be too complicated I may still revert to this but if possible I'd like to get photos of the actual t shirt.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 martin the photographer

you could hire a studio, or maybe just let me know when it suits, as i have a mobile studio with lights and backdrops

http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Advertisement