Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap goods in america

Options
  • 14-05-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Basically I have a friend going to america soon and I am wondering what can you get cheaper over there.

Also is it possible to buy an unlocked phone for use here and are they cheap over there.

What good clothes brands are cheap over there?

Also is it possible to buy an unlocked iphone over there and how much would it be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

in orlando last year and numerous shops had signs saying they had unlocked phones for sale and that they worked everywhere. not sure of the prices to be honest. the clothes are cheap in the outlets, found ecko, aeropastale, old navy, dickies(certain things), to be good value. if non brands are ok then lots of shops selling t shirts and shorts etc. was in new york 3 years ago and it was pretty much the same there. hope it helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pennsylvania has no tax on clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

I'd say with the currency rate at the moment you are snookered!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

Would levis jeans be much cheaper over there compared to here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Even with the bad exchange rate you can still get some bargains. I bought a Sony camera last week for $349 (plus about $30 tax) which came in at about €305 and it's on sale in the Sony shop over here for €379 so i saved about 70 quid or so. And i bought it on day 1 so I got full use of it on my holiday as well.

There's also no tax on items of clothing up to $110 in most counties in New York so if you're going there there's savings to be made, even at the moment. It's no way as good as it was when the Euro was worth around $1.40-1.50 but it's still cheaper than over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sfdkcash

I am an American and now live in Ireland.

Levis are available everywhere and can be purchased for around $20 (€16) at places like Target, JC Penny, and Kohls. Same for Dockers, Wrangler, Mossimo. Stores like Old Navy sell value clothing and it's the same company as Gap and Banana Republic.

Electronics are cheapest in discount stores like Target and Wal Mart (as are almost all products). Even without a favorable € to $ exchange rate, many items are vastly cheaper. Sales taxes can vary from zero in some states to 10% in the most expensive areas.

I always bring back a huge amount of toiletries and cosmetic items. For example A bottle of contact lens solution is $7 vs about €15 and it is 50% larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

My friend is going to indianapolis.
    What good shops are there over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Most towns have the same shops, especially in the malls. You'll probably get JC Penney, Macys, Best Buy (for electronics), Abercrombie & Fitch, Victorias Secret (for bras and knickers!!) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sfdkcash

Indianapolis has every US store you can think of from discounters all the way to high-end shops like Nordstrom and Sak's Fifth Ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

The best deals are usually online, which is useful because you can do your research before you go. Check amazon.com to get a sanity-level check on the price of things you want to buy.

If you can notify the place you are staying in advance, you can order stuff before you fly, and have it delivered while you are there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement