Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blue Light Pub

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 iSoap

The only time I ever remember visiting The Blue Light was on my mountain bike coming down the side of 3 Rock at 60 kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I had probably the best pint of of guinness in my life up there many moons ago which I believe (back then in the 90s ) was stored in caskets ?

The view on a summers evening looking down over Dublin city is amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Love it. The Blue Light has it all, views, music & craic-couldn't ask for much more than that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

We go up there the Saturday before Christmas, the Guinness flowing, the fire blazing and the view is class. It's like a Discover Ireland add.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Adam Clayton used to be a regular ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

live close by, but not been up there in years. Stopped in the pull in outside a few times to admire the view. Must drop in for a pint soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Great little pub. Guiness is super, views are amazing and the music sessions are mighty.

A little known treasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Meant to be great craic after hours, drugs, orgies, fights; something for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Dyflin wrote: »
    Adam Clayton used to be a regular ;)

Correct, was that not where he was arrested for allegedly having an illegal weed in his possession?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's right, wasn't he sitting in his Aston Martin? It made a big spectacle in the courthouse in Dundrum :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Do they have loud blues bands there every weekend evening?
    Last time was up there with some friends bout 2 months ago had to get out cause we couldn't hear each other, and the bar seemed to be strictly locals only.
    Love to go back for the drink and chat, but mid-week isn't an option.

Anyone know if you could watch the football there tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone know if you could watch the football there tomorrow

I have never noticed a TV there. It absolutely would not be somewhere I'd consider a football pub even if has one.

L1011 wrote: »
    I have never noticed a TV there. It absolutely would not be somewhere I'd consider a football pub even if has one.

Nor would I, but am showing someone around and would like a couple of pints up there while getting the game in

I'd advise picking another pub. Fairly certain they will not be showing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd advise picking another pub. Fairly certain they will not be showing the game.

Strangely, I've watched Champions League there before and they were installing a new TV in the smoking area yesterday, which the Barman said was showing the WC quarters.

That's not going to ruin the atmosphere at all then!

Thought that it'd be the last place to show them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Clanket wrote: »
    Great little pub. Guiness is super, views are amazing and the music sessions are mighty.

A little known treasure.

Let’s keep it that way!

Close thread!! DELETE THREAD!!!!!

We get it. You're a purist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We get it. You're a purist.
    He’s not alone..... some pubs just aren’t meant to have a TV

They're small TVs on quietly for a big, big game. It doesn't ruin the atmosphere and doesn't interfere with people who are there for just a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There's a TV in the bar on the right. At least there was last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Have never heard of it before today, maybe the most well known pub in the area would be johnny fox's, though I have never actually been in there either.

tomofson wrote: »
    Have never heard of it before today, maybe the most well known pub in the area would be johnny fox's, though I have never actually been in there either.

Johnny Foxes is a triumph of marketing to tourists but has little going for it, in my opinion.

The blue light is an excellent pub for visitors but also a real local pub too. Still has local farmers as regulars which you don't got in cheesey diddle-ee-ay-die places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Johnny Foxes is a triumph of marketing to tourists but has little going for it, in my opinion.
    Agree. Used to go in after a hike in the area sometimes just for a quick drink, but recently they've reduced the area near the bar even more than before to get in more tables for people eating. You can almost feel the disdain when you say you just want a drink. Money grabbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

The blue light is an excellent pub for visitors but also a real local pub too. Still has local farmers as regulars which you don't got in cheesey diddle-ee-ay-die places

Its a bit of a trek from mine so that explains why I have never been in it, you are not the first person I have heard saying johnny fox's is overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Blue Light starting to do food as well, notices up about a new menu coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Blue Light, Merry Ploughboy and Johnny Foxes are the big three tourist-mountain-pubs out there.

• Advertisement

Blue Light, Merry Ploughboy and Johnny Foxes are the big three tourist-mountain-pubs out there.

I would put the Blue Light in a much different category, although you're still right and they do have mini buses for pub tours stopping there.
    But they don't put on Irish dancing or any cheeseyness. The owner is from Mayo and there's a lot of Mayo pubs that look like that, genuine family run places, they just don't have a view of Dublin city.
    And you won't get many Irish people meeting for scoops in either of the other two

Advertisement