Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

medical card question

• 14-05-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Me and my wife are both unemployed and we are getting JSB and I'm going to apply for a medical card.
    On the form they ask if I have deposits, shares. We do have 6k in a saving account ( from my redundancy) and I'm wondering if this will affect my claim?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It won't.

from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/entitlement-to-health-services/medical_card

How capital is assessed for the under 70s

All capital (savings and investments) is taken into account for medical card purposes. However, income on the savings/investments or property of €36,000 for a single person and €72,000 for a couple is disregarded.

The disregard figure only applies once where both savings and property (other than your own home) are being assessed.

The balance is taken into account either by taking into account the actual rate of interest received, if you provide a certificate of the interest paid on in the last full calendar year or by using a notional rate. The HSE will use whichever calculation is better for the applicant.

In essence, only the interest or income earned on savings and similar investments will be counted as income, not the total value of the savings or investments themselves.

Notional assessment of interest
    Capital Weekly means assessed
    First €36,000 (single), €72,000 (couple) Nil
    Next €10,000 €1 per €1,000
    Next €10,000 €2 per €1,000
    Balance €4 per €1,000

• Registered Users Posts: 19 korpy

Thanks Balagan.

Advertisement