Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Drivetime presenter spoke to a person who stammers

Options
  • 14-05-2010 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Did anyone else hear how Mary Wilson spoke to an economist call Ian Nash on Drivetime yesterday evening?
    He stammered and struggled to get his words out and she interrupted him twice and finished his sentence twice and then proceeded to address all her comments to the other guest speaker on the slot. He tried to speak a couple of times but she wouldn't let him in. Out of a slot of about 4 -5 minutes she gave Ian Nash about 20 seconds - yes I mean 20 SECONDS - airtime.
    Here is the link to the show, http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/it was on Thursday and about 56 -57 minutes into the show.
    It made me feel quite annoyed :mad:and I wrote into the show offering some helpful hints for Mary to use should she ever find herself speaking to someone who stammers again.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

No I didn't hear it but will check it out later and send my views into RTE. As a presenter she should know better.
    Thanks for the post :)

I just listened to the clip and I'm very annoyed at Mary's reaction. I'm made a complaint to RTE, it may fall on deaf ears but these situations need to be high lighted. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stutelle

I am glad someone esle thought it was off, I thought she was quite disrespectful. would she have done the same to Prionsias de Rossa, I wonder?

She wouldn't get away with it if it was Prionsias de Rossa. It's bad enough to talk on the radio without a stammer never mind with a stammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NegativeEquity

Hi guys,
    Iain from drive time here. Thanks for writing in, I did feel like a total tool on that show! Wasn't the best of radio debuts!

• Advertisement

Hi Iain, hope you didn't mind me talking about you. I just thought Mary was rude to you. I know she is limited to time but waiting a few seconds wouldn't have made a difference in the scheme of things.
    Fair play for going on the radio anyway, the more stutterers that go on the radio the more awarenes there is.
    my daughter stammers too and we get mad excited when we here someone who stutters on the tv or radio:)

Hi Iain, thanks for coming onto the forum and adding to the post. As stutelle said I hope you didn't mind us posting and giving our views. Fair play to you for going on the radio, that's one thing I would be very hesitant to do. I felt it only right that I sent RTE an email, I received an email back yesterday to say my complaint will go in the 'Audience log of calls and emails' and will be reviewed by senior management at RTE. Let's hope they give you an apology.

I've no problem with you guys talking about me anyway - I went on the air so its only fair to allow debate about what said (or in my case, what was attempted to be said!).

I've heard nothing back from RTE but I take comfort in the fact that next time I try and speak in public, it can't be any worse!

As a matter of interest did the presenter make any comment to you off-air about your speech? If you don't mind me asking how where you feeling in the run-up to you talking?

I didin't meet Mary before, we just were usshered into the studio a minute or so before we went on air and left straight away afterwards.

I had informed the producer (I think) who I met before but I'm not sure if the message made its way through.

I was feeling really relaxed and calm right up to the moment before we started talking, then the big 'ON AIR' light and the microphone just paniced me completely. Normally, I can recover myself after stammering for a couple of words but in this case I didn't get the time to do that.

I do need to start looking at a program though, as I haven't had any help with the issue before.

• Advertisement

The presenter may not have been told in time or she thought she was helping which usually has the opposite effect.
    There are a number of different courses available (Mcguire, Dublin Adult Stuttering etc..) there's links and posts about the courses in the forum. I did the Dublin Adult Stuttering course almost 4 years ago and found it excellent, it's HSE run.
    There's also the Irish Stammering Association selfhelp meetings that take place in Dublin and in other counties around Ireland, details of all meetings can be found on www.stammeringireland.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Michael O Shea

Hi All,
    I heard the programme, well done Iain, that situation is very tough, even for people who not challenged by stammering, the time pressure is severe on that show, even for Mary as she works against the clock, you need to be in the studio to understand, I am sure Iain you witnessed that as well, still there is excuse for her behaviour towards you.

The next day I contacted RTE by phone, not to complain, but to see if they wanted any advice on what to do regarding live radio and TV interviews with people who are challenged by stammering. In fairness they responded the next day,they are interested and will contact me soon to set something up. I will keep you posted. If you have any ideas or would like to have an input just let me know.

Speak soon,
    Michael.

Michael,
    that's great and sounds very positive, hopefully something will come of it.

Iain, the experience on the day may have been uncomfortable but looking on the bright side, and us stammerers often have to, it may help to raise awareness among some members of the media and help to change negative perceptions. every cloud etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rockydog

Well done on your apperance on the shaw regardless, it took balls and dont worry next time will be better. I ve been working as sales rep for years now and have bad days with my stutter too but you just have to brush that to one side and get back on the horse!! best of luck in future and rem most people are very considerate.:)

Advertisement