Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Champions May 22nd

Options
  • 14-05-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

SFIE is proud to bring you our Day of Champions!

This will consist of tournaments for four different games! That's right four games.

The games will be :
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Blazblue
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo [Akuma Banned]
    Soul Calibur 4 [Any rules suggestions welcome - Reading up Algol and Yoda should be banned - Also does any have a memory unit with characters unlocked? Otherwise it's non unlock characters only]

Each tournament will be single elimination.
    The tournaments will kick off at two o'clock if there is 16 entrants. Otherwise I will wait for three o'clock to try and get 16 entrants. At three o'clock they will kick off regardless of numbers.

All usual general behaviour rules will be enforced - No turbo, No being an asshole and No white tracksuits.

Cost will be the usual €5 for console rental and €1 for each tournament you wish to enter. There will be no prize pot as this will be a fund raiser for the community.

To offset the lack of prize pot, there will be €20 available for anyone that can place top three in three tournaments.

EDIT : This is all assuming that it doesn't clash with Inferno 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Take out MVC2 and put in 3s please :pac:

Will enter ST as it's the only game I play on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Night of Champions is right. Its the Chanpions League night and i'll be in the pub for it. As an Inter Milan supporter i just cant make this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Sounds like a larf. I'll probably be in the middle of a big project unfortunately though.
    I can mail down a memory unit with fully unlocked SC4 save if someone wants it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Play HDR Classic instead of AE, wtf at AE being included (and lol at only banning ST akuma if every version SF2 character is allowed)

I was just going to say that but then didn't wanna seem like I was picking and choosing

Either someone bring laptop with ST or HDR classic, preferably the former

Edit : No offense but that's a pretty retarded list imo, who actually plays SC or MVC2 in our community? I know DarkTalant and maybe a few others like SC but wtf. I know it's for fun but yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I have the disc for AE and I'm using my hard drive for Marvel. I wanted to ensure that I am suppling everything in order to make it as easy as possible on me. Hell couldn't we make AE into ST if that's what people want? Just have everyone pick ST.

No 3s because we've done a tournament for that and I wanted it to stuff that hasn't been done. I know Soul Calibur has had tournaments but not in a good while + I have it so I figured I'd throw it in.

EDIT :People are giving the lack of variety in games so I thought I'd do something for the community. Marvel is there cause I love Marvel and if I'm running a random games tournament then it's in. Plus there is a few heads that play, no-ones at a competitive level but **** it it's a bit of fun that's going to be either free or a quid.
    Also I'm hoping a few of the SC lads will get involved Da Bounca, Hugo(? If thats his name) and Witch. It's also a good way to get the tekken lads involved.

Jesus I'm sorry that my list of available games doesn't meet with your approval. I thought maybe offering my time and money would show people that it's for the good of the communtiy, not to get some EVO quality **** going on. Ah **** it.

Oh and ST Akuma is the only character I am aware of being banned with an AE. I'm more then willing to be corrected on this.

Cool. Yeah I think ST would be better/AE using only ST characters. Playing AE is a TOTALLY different game because of the variety and sheer difference of each character versions etc

Orim I have no issue with your list it's just I was a bit shocked to see SC2 and MVC2. But yeah it's for fun so do it do it, all for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

AE is annoying cause of the stupid character variation and ST characters being unable to tech old characters' throws (in ST they can).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

HDR doesnt properly on those tvs. Marvel might be similar.

I ll probably play.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    AE is annoying cause of the stupid character variation and ST characters being unable to tech old characters' throws (in ST they can).

Agreed, like I said before. I refuse to play proper AE in a tournament, it's a stupid game. Ok like on Wednesday for craic, but when it comes to mixing together different character versions and stuff, you're asking for trouble. AE pretty much has ST mode* so we can just do that

* Apart from the fact that O. Version of characters' (Super) throws can't be softened in AE, where in ST you could.(Talking totally from a ST viewpoint here) I know some people like to use O characters, it's not the same in AE

Heck in AE if you use ST character you can only soften another ST char throw, which is retarded. It's supposed to be the other way around, they can't soften, like it was in ST with the O characters

ST on emu, AE with strict ST, or HDR on classic
    Orim wrote: »
    Oh and ST Akuma is the only character I am aware of being banned with an AE. I'm more then willing to be corrected on this.

Because in AE if someone is used to only playing ST/other games, it's a little ****ed up to have all these somewhat OP or strange characters come into the ST engine. It's odd, and is just as bad as Akuma really

/end rant

• Advertisement

AE with ST only characters. Is that alright?

Also cost, can someone give me some feedback on what they think?
    Euro entry or free?
    If with the euro entry should it go for prize pot, charity or community?

I don't get the charity thing. If you win do you really need to decide to give it to charity? Surely common sense would dictate that amidst the choice of which charity you would like to donate to, keeping it yourself is an obvious choice, because by right it is your money at that stage

BTW I know AE wasn't perfect but I didn't think of playing ST on AE. I just chose AE because as I said it was a game that I had and I'm trying to not be relying on other people bringing stuff.

Hound, it should be all finished by 5 or 6 so you could make it out in time for the match easy. But I understand if your not bothered. I bet you'd make it in if it was an EX plus Alpha tourney.

Ramza wrote: »
    I don't get the charity thing. If you win do you really need to decide to give it to charity? Surely common sense would dictate that amidst the choice of which charity you would like to donate to, keeping it yourself is an obvious choice, because by right it is your money at that stage

I couldn't really think of any charities off hand so I figure I'd leave it up to the winners to choose the charity. Or we could do a vote beforehand. Or we could give it to the boards charity thing.

BTW I know AE wasn't perfect but I didn't think of playing ST on AE. I just chose AE because as I said it was a game that I had and I'm trying to not be relying on other people bringing stuff

Np, ST all the way :)
    I couldn't really think of any charities off hand so I figure I'd leave it up to the winners to choose the charity. Or we could do a vote beforehand. Or we could give it to the boards charity thing.

I don't get the logic, if I win anything I'm keeping the money, it should be winners' choice :pac:

I don't get the logic, if I win anything I'm keeping the money, it should be winners' choice :pac:

So that's a vote for a prize pot then?

The logic is that a euro tourney, where the money is going to charity, is different from paying a euro where there is a prize pot for the tourney.

That's why I'm wondering what people want. As I said above my personal preference is for a euro in, with half going to charity, half going to the community but you can win 20 if your top three in three tournaments.
    Money going to charity offsets the paying of the 1/2/3/4 euro and the community makes a few bob and hopefully gets us that bit closer to a hauppage.

However that makes the day 9 euro overall, so I also think that the free entry to tourneys especially if they can get some faces involved.

Oops I didn't clearly read OP

Yep that's a vote from me in favour of pot then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I also have AE for xbox and CvS2 EO. Not sure if CvS2 was ever made backwards compatible or not though.

I'm all for an AE or HF tournament. Garou would be good for a laugh too. None of us play it seriously, but it is a damn good game.

I also have AE for xbox and CvS2 EO. Not sure if CvS2 was ever made backwards compatible or not though.

I'm all for an AE or HF tournament. Garou would be good for a laugh too. None of us play it seriously, but it is a damn good game.

CVS2 EO is a joke, it's a retarded version/port of the game. I know it's just for craic but just needed to put it out there :)

I have GG X2 reload if anyone is interested too, although I think at this stage there are too many games to have tourneys in. After tourney a giant free for all game marathon casual would be class craic

CVS2 EO is a joke, it's a retarded version/port of the game. I know it's just for craic but just needed to put it out there :)

I have GG X2 reload if anyone is interested too, although I think at this stage there are too many games to have tourneys in. After tourney a giant free for all game marathon casual would be class craic

They took out Roll Cancels, and changed one of the grooves (P I think?), but it hardly makes the game a joke. Still a very solid game and I highly doubt any of us here are proficient at RCs or would use P Groove for it to make a difference.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I was getting at, none of us would really be too good to notice etc

I play the game but I'm not great, would love to have some fun with it

Yeah that's what I was getting at, none of us would really be too good to notice etc

I play the game but I'm not great, would love to have some fun with it

I thought you were going to bring up the "lol right stick specials dur dur dur lol" argument which is soundly beaten by the AC Mode counter-argument.

I thought you were going to bring up the "lol right stick specials dur dur dur lol" argument which is soundly beaten by the AC Mode counter-argument.

Yup, the whole right stick thing is not a not a valid argument like you said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

CvS2 was never made compatible either way so it's a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Hound, it should be all finished by 5 or 6 so you could make it out in time for the match easy. But I understand if your not bothered. I bet you'd make it in if it was an EX plus Alpha tourney.

I want to be in the Pub for about 5 or 6. Not rushing back to get ready. Its on a saturday night and i plan on having a good night. Sorry guys, im sure it'll be good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Not sure I'll be able to make it but it certainly sounds like fun.

I know I'm probably setting myself up for a nerd purist argument here, but why the absolute commitment in this thread the ST mode in HDR, as opposed to HDR itself?

I read all the design/change notes, and as a game I prefer it.

Plus if a lot of games are being thrown in "For the Craic", it has a few easier inputs to make it more friendly to the less hardcore.

I know I'm probably setting myself up for a nerd purist argument here, but why the absolute commitment in this thread the ST mode in HDR, as opposed to HDR itself?

I'm just a whiney bitch and can't stand HDR :pac:

I don't like HDR really, don't know why they went to the trouble of making it, watering down inputs and changing ****, making changes etc, I know the game is not balanced but it still baffles me. HDR in classic mode removes changes etc

I'm just a whiney bitch

Quoting this for posterity. Going to reply to all your posts with this and I may even sig it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm just a whiney bitch and can't stand HDR :pac:

I don't like HDR really, don't know why they went to the trouble of making it, watering down inputs and changing ****, making changes etc, I know the game is not balanced but it still baffles me. HDR in classic mode removes changes etc

Standard "I don't like change" argument it is then.

I thought re-balancing it was great idea, but even opinions aside, they fixed some bugs like how certain character's supers couldn't be used as reversals.

And I don't really see how "watering down inputs" makes it any worse. All the input changes make perfect sense to me, and I never end up doing the wrong move in HDR (whereas the shortcut mechanics of IV seem to mess me up in weird ways). Then again I don't have problem with the idea of change in of itself.

Incidentally Orim, I didn't have any problems with your charity pitch, sounded like a nice idea to try to drum up new players.

• Advertisement

LMAO, dude are you serious? Please tell me that's a joke :pac:

It's called humour ; the fact I said I'm a whiney bitch is because I posted a giant post about why I think HDR sucks/I will only play ST emulated or AE with ST strict characters. It just seems like I'm whining, but anyone with a brain cell would know it's proper talk :pac: It's me saying "Well I will only play ST because (list reasons above), in a shorthand and comical fashion
    Standard "I don't like change" argument it is then

And? Problem?

Advertisement