Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Champions May 22nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Azza wrote: »
    Are the old version characters in AE pickable like they are in ST?

As in the characters that you have to enter the code's to enter to unlock or is that even a feature in AE?

By right that should be allowed (just select the option under ST, "Super"). The characters however are not the same as the arcade version ; if you play ST version character, you can soften throws, but in AE for some reason even if you use ST character you can't soften any throws at all from any old characters. So it can affect matches like that, imo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Are the old version characters in AE pickable like they are in ST?

As in the characters that you have to enter the code's to enter to unlock or is that even a feature in AE?

The Akuma code certainly works and I think the O. codes do too, but I don't have my xbox set up to check.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Actually the old characters are not the same in ST as they are in the Super anyway.

The old characters are based off the Super characters but they have difference from them. Speed of moves etc.

So you could technically say there is nothing wrong. ST characters could only ever tech throw old.ST characters not Super characters are any other characters.

Thats assuming the old.ST characters can't be picked. If I'm wrong ignore the above.

Actually looking it up I think you hold start in Super or ST to get the orginal arcade versions. I'm not sure if thats the same old characters.

Actually the old characters are not the same in ST as they are in the Super anyway.

The old characters are based off the Super characters but they have difference from them. Speed of moves etc.

So you could technically say there is nothing wrong. ST characters could only ever tech throw old.ST characters not Super characters are any other characters.

Thats assuming the old.ST characters can't be picked. If I'm wrong ignore the above.

Actually looking it up I think you hold start in Super or ST to get the orginal arcade versions. I'm not sure if thats the same old characters.

Yep I know but just speaking in terms of ST arcade here, the O version of characters do not fully represent their previous version, but it's a nice touch regardless

No, they could. In ST arcade, N characters could tech any throw (N or O) but O characters can't tech at all, so in AE it totally messes this up, by changing it (read on my post)

Holding start only gives you a different colour (in the arcade version)

In AE if you hold Start when selecting ST/Super it will give you the N and O variation

Edit : Somehow even if you hold start while choosing ST/Super the whole throw soften crap still isn't sorted, dunno why that is.
    The Akuma code certainly works and I think the O. codes do too, but I don't have my xbox set up to check.

Codes don't work but you hold start while picking Super and it gives you the O version

Or just play AE as is because it's the final arcade release of SF II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Or WW cause it's the bestest version.

On the day, I'm going to ask people their preference as they sign up.

From SRK wiki [PS2 version same as Xbox]
    Playstation 2 (Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition, only the ST characters will be addressed)
    This version has not been thoroughly tested, but the known differences are:
    -O.Sagat's Tiger Shots have been toned down considerably
    -Ken, Dhalsim, and Sagat can do reversal supers (which they can not in the arcade version)
    -Due to an error in porting, Claw's wall dive (ST versions only) must be performed Charge D, K, U (pressing Kick before Up, instead of the normal order)
    -if an ST character is facing a non-ST character, the ST character can not tech the throws (in ST, New characters can tech Old characters' throws)
    -Holding start when selecting Super Turbo or Super seems to allow access to the original arcade versions of each character.

The last part means when you hold start the character specific changes (like ones listed above) are reverted, but that retarded throw thingy is still intact regardless.

I refuse to enter a tourney where I can't soften/tech throws, it matters you know. Imagine you were in an SFIV tourney where you couldn't tech a throw. It's a vald point imo, and I think I'm addressing it fairly lads

Not being bitchy or whatever but AE ST on ST is best. It sucks because it omits the O characters from being used too. Besides, AE is ridiculous anyway. I know this is a big derail but I'm bringing it up for obvious reasons and I don't want to kill the vibe or get back to the argument on hand 4 pages back.

Orim I sincerely believe it's in your best interest to use AE with ST only, it's the closes you'll get to arcade ST without emulator etc. Just trying to help out

It's not an ST tourney though, it's an AE tourney.

I imagine most of those changes, bar the Vega input were done intentionally by Capcom.

The problem with that Ramza is that some people want to play AE.

It's two-all between people that want AE and people that want ST only so as I said it's going to come to preference on the day between those people that sign up for it.

EDIT : And before anyone says it and to those that have "threatened" me with not playing in the tournament. I don't care if you don't play. I'm doing for fun and for the community. I'm going to sign up for all four tournaments and tbh I'll probably ending up forfeiting my matches as I'm going to be too busy but I don't care as it's for fun and to help the community.

I'm just confused because your first post says ST so I was just trying to narrow down some stuff for you and offer my two cents on how you can get ST gameplay etc

But yeah, I see it in the light of community spirit and craic now, regardless of points made I just need to say **** it and enter, it's for fun anyway ^^

And yeah Orim I'll be entering all the tourneys for fun anyway even though I only play one game, the day will be fun and it will be interesting to see how I do in those games lol

• Advertisement

Ramza wrote: »
    I'm just confused because your first post says ST so I was just trying to narrow down some stuff for you.

I changed it to ST because the only complaints veered towards ST only. But now others are saying they want full AE, so as I say the fairest is to just let whoever enters vote and go with the flow.

Orim wrote: »
    I changed it to ST because the only complaints veered towards ST only. But now others are saying they want full AE, so as I say the fairest is to just let whoever enters vote and go with the flow.

That's cool. I read ST on the first page and was just trying to offer my guidance on how to achieve ST esque. But yeah if more people want AE I'm with that, given it's only a craic tourney/light hearted etc. Also AE is soooo much more practical for us, so I have no issue with it in this pretense :D

Roll on 22nd :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's not even a serious tourney guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

K, I'll add that if I make it to this I'd rather ST myself anyway.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's not even a serious tourney guys!

True but it was announced on the internet and the internet is serious business.

BushInternetSeriousBusiness.jpg

Out of curiosity I checked AE to see if the old characters where selectable from just the ST section by holding down start.

I'm not sure what you get when you hold down start but it isn't the old character from ST, as you still have Super's and for example Sagat's Tiger Uppercut is multi hitting.

I'm also not sure what you get when you hold down start when you select a character from the Super roaster.

I don't even know if the old ST characters are in the AE version at all but the super characters are extremely close to them.

I personally prefer ST over anniversary edition myself but I realise AE is more practical because you can actually run it on consoles. You can't perfectly emulate ST on AE so in my opinion you might as well stick with AE.

Out of curiosity I checked AE to see if the old characters where selectable from just the ST section by holding down start.

I'm not sure what you get when you hold down start but it isn't the old character from ST, as you still have Super's and for example Sagat's Tiger Uppercut is multi hitting.

I'm also not sure what you get when you hold down start when you select a character from the Super roaster.

I don't even know if the old ST characters are in the AE version at all but the super characters are extremely close to them.

I personally prefer ST over anniversary edition myself but I realise AE is more practical because you can actually run it on consoles. You can't perfectly emulate ST on AE so in my opinion you might as well stick with AE.

If you hold down start on selecting ST/Super, you get the arcade version of each respectively, i.e, N or O. Some changes were introduced in AE so choosing with start negates these (afaik only some characters moves were changed, O Sagat's tiger shots aren't as fast, characters in the original arcade who couldn't reversal super because of a bug now can etc. Holding start negates these)

If you choose Super with start you get the O character in it's original arcade form (gotten by char codes in ST arcade)

Yes Azza, I agree, and I even said it on the first page. AE is not ST, it's a totally different game (unless you use start and pick ST on ST)there is a line between what's practical and what's the best choice, AE does the job fine for practicability and since it's not serious like Kiki said it doesn't really matter, AE is perfect for this event

You can emulate ST on ST fine using start button(negates minor changes/emulates arcade) with AE(like I suggest on page one) but once you go outside that your stepping into AE territory and I don't count those as genuine wins, but hey, it's only for fun :)

I think I follow.

ST characters in AE are slightly different to their ST incarnations. Holding start on a character in ST mode gives you the ST version while selecting a character with any other button gives you the AE version.

The Old characters from ST are got by holding start when picking a character from the the Super roster. Normal picking in that mode gives you the characters you would get in Super.

The main glitch is that the ST characters can't throw soften the Old characters throws.

I think I follow.

ST characters in AE are slightly different to their ST incarnations. Holding start on a character in ST mode gives you the ST version while selecting a character with any other button gives you the AE version.

The Old characters from ST are got by holding start when picking a character from the the Super roster. Normal picking in that mode gives you the characters you would get in Super.

The main glitch is that the ST characters can't throw soften the Old characters throws.

Yeah, you got it. I think it's fair reasoning and I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't think it wasn't important/fair.

The glitch is anything pre ST can't be teched at all by an ST character, which makes no sense, in the arcade ST the reverse held true.

Like, we have AE on disc, just do ST on ST using start, it's the arcade version, it's easy. I know people want to use AE characters and if the majority goes that way that's fine, but remember it's a different game then

Ramza wrote:
    The glitch is anything pre ST can't be teched at all by an ST character, which makes no sense, in the arcade ST the reverse held true

Well as far as I'm aware its not known what the designers intentions where. ST characters could only throw soften ST characters and old characters in ST. The where never able to throw soften any other characters throws because they never where in a game with pre-ST characters outside of AE. I do understand that they can't soften the old characters in AE and its probably a glitch but it might have been the designers intention. Most old characters where not worth using in ST and perhaps the designers thought it make the old character more competitive. It could still remain a glitch but not be able to throw soften characters from the rest of the series might of been the intention. I'm only speculating though, you might be right and its a glitch that they can't throw soften the characters from the old game.
    Ramza wrote:
    Like, we have AE on disc, just do ST on ST using start, it's the arcade version, it's easy.

Except its not the full ST because that excludes the old characters, which where intergral to the ST experience. I suppose they are less of a loss than the ability to soften throws.

• Advertisement

Except its not the full ST because that excludes the old characters, which where intergral to the ST experience. I suppose they are less of a loss than the ability to soften throws.

I should of fixed my post, using start to select ST or Super only is ST (apart from how the ST cast can't soften the O characters throws in AE, but other than that it's perfect)

It can be said either way, imo, ST characters have the ability to soften but the older ones don't (wasn't in previous games), which is totally fair. I know it kind of makes sense to say "well in the old games there was no teching so you can't tech the old char throws", but I don't see why not when using ST characters cause you're taking away then, it's ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'll definitely be down on Saturday.Can bring a copy of AE and a laptop for emulated ST.

blag wrote: »
    I'll definitely be down on Saturday.Can bring a copy of AE and a laptop for emulated ST.

Nice one blag, I look forward to playing you, I heard you were a good ST player!

Until then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Should be there myself. Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll be there. Hungover, but there.

Least I don't have to get to Belfast this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Lookin forward to playing some MvC2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I'll be there, I should be bringing a couple of mates as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

rdDxf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

what time is this at?

@ kneecaps

heh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

this would be fun ^^

Advertisement