Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start boxing but have no experience

Options
  • 14-05-2010 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hey guys, sorry if this has already been asked but....

i am 22 and i have never boxed, but i really enjoy watching and i would love to give the training a go and try sparring.

im 12stone and weak as piss so dont think i will be making a career out of it :)
    but would really like to get in to it.

i'm sure gyms have their resources stretched enough, so i know this might be hard to find so woulld be great if anybody knew of any classes going on please let me know. i work in the town in the docklands if thats any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I can't advise you of any places in Dublin(I'm sure there's plenty of others than can) but you're dead right to give it a go at an 'advanced age'. You're not that old really, and at 22 you're not even quite in your physical prime yet so it's certainly not too late.

I took up boxing just before last Christmas and I should be getting my first fight around October(It would be sooner if not for the fact I'm going to be away from Middlesbrough all summer). That was training on and off for quite a long period aswell. People develop at different rates and you may take quite some time to get into things, but when you do it's very fulfilling and there is no fitness like it.
    An obvious point to make aswell is the more times you go per week the quicker you'll improve.

I know a guy that started boxing at 17 and within 2 1/2 years he had represented his country(England), now of course that's certainly the exception rather than the rule but it just shows how it's worth giving it a try.
    Even if you've no desire to end up competing it's still worth doing for the health benefits and enjoyment alone.

So best of luck to you, and anyone who's reading this thread that can help the guy out please do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭cppromotions

Collins,s Gym in Corduff S.C in Dublin 15 also does classes for Adults who never boxed its good athmosphere lots of Non Boxers keeping fit also there is sparring for Non Boxers every saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddydawes

I heard of a fitness boxing thing where you learn the technique but is fitness based rather than sparring so good to start without getting punched in the face :D

www.fitbox.ie

hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm in the same boat here lads,this is actually what I came on to ask about.
    I'm 17,about 5'10 and weigh around the 11 stone 10 mark. Is it still worth starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Sergio Martinez started when he was 20 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I've also been thinking about this recently. I'd love to do boxing training. I've never done it before and am now the wrong (early) side of 30. Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I would go about doing this? I live in North County Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

paddydawes wrote: »
    I heard of a fitness boxing thing where you learn the technique but is fitness based rather than sparring so good to start without getting punched in the face :D

www.fitbox.ie

hope it helps
    Load of ****e, boxing is about hitting and not getting hit,not silly girly touch rugby type stuff :p

digme wrote: »
    Load of ****e, boxing is about hitting and not getting hit,not silly girly touch rugby type stuff :p

I actually had a look at the link and thought the same! I've been a member of a gym for years. What I'd like to do now is learn how to box and actually hit and get hit (not so much)!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭cppromotions

as i said before i train up in Collins Celtic Warriors gym in Corduff Dublin 15 there is all types of fighters there plus people just using boxing to stay in shape there are lads training at the moment for a white collar show at the gym on 19th june they spar every tues, thurs and sat they couldnt box to save their lives but they have a go its great to watch how they are improving each week Paschal oversees all the sparring himself and he gives little tips to help them too they have a white collar show at the gym every 6 weeks so you should pay a visit to the gym and see if you like it first Ian Timms ,Stephen Ormond ,Spike Osullivan are among some of the Pros training there so you can mix with the pros as well Steve does be at the gym at least once a week give it a shot .

as i said before i train up in Collins Celtic Warriors gym in Corduff Dublin 15 there is all types of fighters there plus people just using boxing to stay in shape there are lads training at the moment for a white collar show at the gym on 19th june they spar every tues, thurs and sat they couldnt box to save their lives but they have a go its great to watch how they are improving each week Paschal oversees all the sparring himself and he gives little tips to help them too they have a white collar show at the gym every 6 weeks so you should pay a visit to the gym and see if you like it first Ian Timms ,Stephen Ormond ,Spike Osullivan are among some of the Pros training there so you can mix with the pros as well Steve does be at the gym at least once a week give it a shot .

Cheers, thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I've also been thinking about this recently. I'd love to do boxing training. I've never done it before and am now the wrong (early) side of 30. Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I would go about doing this? I live in North County Dublin.

Rush is in North county Dublin and welcomes novices of all ages, we train Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings for boxing classes..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Rush is in North county Dublin and welcomes novices of all ages, we train Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings for boxing classes..

Cheers, having been told the opposite by bracken in balbriggan this is good news. Can you post the name and contact details of the club?

Cheers, having been told the opposite by bracken in balbriggan this is good news. Can you post the name and contact details of the club?

Rush Fight Academy
    Phone number is on website, All clubs have there own systems, i,ve always liked the idea of letting adults learn Boxing and get them to enter the Novices etc if they feel they want too, I train the Kids separate to the Adults in Rush..

There is 2 IABA qualified coaches in the club and a few others that will do there qualifications soon also..

cowzerp wrote: »
    Rush Fight Academy
    Phone number is on website, All clubs have there own systems, i,ve always liked the idea of letting adults learn Boxing and get them to enter the Novices etc if they feel they want too, I train the Kids separate to the Adults in Rush..

There is 2 IABA qualified coaches in the club and a few others that will do there qualifications soon also..

:D I've just noticed your signature! Should have opened my eyes. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

i'm one of the boxers:D, no seriously, i'm one of the lads who are in training for the white collar night, which has been changed to Fri 9th July. i genuinely can't box to save my life, but i've lost over a stone and a half, am toning up and my overall fitness levels have shot up. my confidence is growing and i learn new things every time i go to the club.
    Paschal gives me a work out aimed at my needs and is always there with simple little tips that go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jv2000

i'm one of the boxers:D, no seriously, i'm one of the lads who are in training for the white collar night, which has been changed to Fri 9th July. i genuinely can't box to save my life, but i've lost over a stone and a half, am toning up and my overall fitness levels have shot up. my confidence is growing and i learn new things every time i go to the club.
    Paschal gives me a work out aimed at my needs and is always there with simple little tips that go a long way.

Sounds great, what age are you lubo_moravcik?? I think at 26 I might be too old for that lark

jv2000 wrote: »
    Sounds great, what age are you lubo_moravcik?? I think at 26 I might be too old for that lark
    well i'm older than you and am having a go at it. it's nothing serious, just for fun but also great for getting in shape and increasing fitness levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

hi,sorry for intruding on someones elses thread but im wondering if anybody has any contact details for collins gym in corduff Dublin 15,im in my early 20's reasonably fit,but really weak when it comes to boxing havent ever properly boxed before and would love to start,thanks all

triple-M wrote: »
    hi,sorry for intruding on someones elses thread but im wondering if anybody has any contact details for collins gym in corduff Dublin 15,im in my early 20's reasonably fit,but really weak when it comes to boxing havent ever properly boxed before and would love to start,thanks all
    best suggestion would be to go up to the club (mon-fri, 4-7.30, or 11-2 Sat) have a look at whats going on and if you need any more info, just ask. a 38 bus will drop you in corduff and the club is above the centra shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hey.

Sorry to dig up this old topic, but I'm 24 and have been considering trying boxing for a few years now... came across this and it seems in the same vein as me.

I'm based in Santry / Ballymun, so would the closest adult boxing classes be in Rush Fight Academy and the Collins Celtic Warrior gym in Corduff?

Also would once a week be sufficient to train? I'm unsure whether I'd want to fight - depends if I'd like it! And deffo not expecting to be the next Tyson/Ali/etc :) Just for the fitness really.

Any help or suggestions are welcome, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Big Ears wrote: »
    I can't advise you of any places in Dublin(I'm sure there's plenty of others than can) but you're dead right to give it a go at an 'advanced age'. You're not that old really, and at 22 you're not even quite in your physical prime yet so it's certainly not too late.

I took up boxing just before last Christmas and I should be getting my first fight around October(It would be sooner if not for the fact I'm going to be away from Middlesbrough all summer). That was training on and off for quite a long period aswell. People develop at different rates and you may take quite some time to get into things, but when you do it's very fulfilling and there is no fitness like it.
    An obvious point to make aswell is the more times you go per week the quicker you'll improve.

I know a guy that started boxing at 17 and within 2 1/2 years he had represented his country(England), now of course that's certainly the exception rather than the rule but it just shows how it's worth giving it a try.
    Even if you've no desire to end up competing it's still worth doing for the health benefits and enjoyment alone.

So best of luck to you, and anyone who's reading this thread that can help the guy out please do so.

Like the OP i've no experience but was interested in starting, was afraid that even at 18 it'd be too late(I know! :p).

But hearing this, has definitely made up my mind cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Like the OP i've no experience but was interested in starting, was afraid that even at 18 it'd be too late(I know! :p).

But hearing this, has definitely made up my mind cheers!

im 26 and have just started :)

Hey.

Sorry to dig up this old topic, but I'm 24 and have been considering trying boxing for a few years now... came across this and it seems in the same vein as me.

I'm based in Santry / Ballymun, so would the closest adult boxing classes be in Rush Fight Academy and the Collins Celtic Warrior gym in Corduff?

Also would once a week be sufficient to train? I'm unsure whether I'd want to fight - depends if I'd like it!

Rush is only down the road from santry really, once a week will help you learn but just half the amount of the lad who trains 2 times!

1 is better than none and your not doing it for competition then its ok, for competition it would not be near enough so you'd have to see if you wanted to compete in the novices.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Much like the OP I was thinkin about taking up boxing myself but maybe my stats are against me
    23,5'5 and about 55kg
    Just wondering when you join a gym,do you work out on your own and punch bags and stuff,I really have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Much like the OP I was thinkin about taking up boxing myself but maybe my stats are against me
    23,5'5 and about 55kg
    Just wondering when you join a gym,do you work out on your own and punch bags and stuff,I really have no idea

Your stats arn't against ye, you'll be fighting guys your own weight and will develop a style to suit you.
    You work both on your own and with guidence, depending on what your doing. You would generally do some or all of the following depending on the club -

Shadow Boxing
    Skipping
    Bag Work
    Sparring
    Pad work
    Speed Ball
    Speed Bag

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

What are the usual membership prices for the gyms and can anyone recommend some boxing gyms in galway city?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoClifford

How much is it to use Collins Celtic Warriors gym? I'm looking for a boxing club in or around D15 to do some winter training. I've no boxing experience but heard it is great for fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

hey all, can anyone tell me if theres a beginner friendly club for adults in around the city centre area of dublin, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Hey folks.
    I didnt want to make a new thread and couldnt find any answers with a search..but i did find this thread lol

Quick summary.Im just gone 30, weigh about 10.5-11.5 stone and 5' 11"
    Ive been pretty quick to take up any sport and used to play alot of soccer.
    Im looking to put on some weight muscle wise and maybe spar and fight if i think i will be ok with getting a few slaps in the face :D thats one issue i just wont know till i get one eh?

My first priority is prices for joining a club.
    Can anyone give me a rough idea how much i would expect to pay and what thatwould get me?
    Im on the dole at the mo and have alot of free time where would like to train hard.I just am doubtful i can afford to join a club where i imagine i would like to start out with a little guidance on how to punch and use equipment safely, then left to work on training hard and my technique a little too.
    I am hearing alot about age being a factor so at 30 it sounds like professional goals are not realistic.Im partly ambidextrous so id like to give it a try out of curiosity too.
    Any info would be appreciated.I walk into town nearly everyday from terenure so if anyone knows a cvlub i can drop into on the way that would be cool also.
    Really money and getting punched in the face are my two concerns haha
    And no thanks dont need help with the latter :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Sorry to be resurrecting an old thread now but i'd like to give boxing a shot!
    I'm 20, 6'4" and around 15-15.5 stone. Am pretty active and i Played rugby till about a year ago (team sort of fell apart a bit when people started college but i never really got back into it)

I'm living in cork but i don't know much about any boxing clubs around the place ( all i seem to see is karate/kung fu/mma etc. gyms)
    If anyone has even the name of a few clubs around the city i'd be very appreciative!

Advertisement