Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start boxing but have no experience

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

cowzerp wrote: »
    Rush is only down the road from santry really, once a week will help you learn but just half the amount of the lad who trains 2 times!

1 is better than none and your not doing it for competition then its ok, for competition it would not be near enough so you'd have to see if you wanted to compete in the novices.

hey I was thinking of giving your adult boxing classes a try - Im a 23yr old male. currently 90kg (77kg when fit) and 5' 9. what should I expect on the first night? like what should I bring with me etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

bubbleking wrote: »
    hey I was thinking of giving your adult boxing classes a try - Im a 23yr old male. currently 90kg (77kg when fit) and 5' 9. what should I expect on the first night? like what should I bring with me etc etc?

bring whatever you have but dont panic as we have everything here that you can use, when you get into it you can pick up bit by bit.

As far as what to expect it's a standard Boxing class and you'll fit right in..
    it includes shadow boxing, skipping, and bags with some sit uos etc usually thrown in! sparring is done for those who want to do it but a gum shield is needed for that..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

bring whatever you have but dont panic as we have everything here that you can use, when you get into it you can pick up bit by bit.

As far as what to expect it's a standard Boxing class and you'll fit right in..
    it includes shadow boxing, skipping, and bags with some sit uos etc usually thrown in! sparring is done for those who want to do it but a gum shield is needed for that..

cool thanks. I come from a GAA/rugby backround so Im well used to getting hit and have a gumshield etc but more importantly im used to heavy training - lol famous last words.

Iv no problem wanting to spar and Id def like to compete but how long would I need to train before sparring is advisable? I dont want to get in there on the first night and get my A$$ handed to me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

bubbleking wrote: »
    cool thanks. I come from a GAA/rugby backround so Im well used to getting hit and have a gumshield etc but more importantly im used to heavy training - lol famous last words.

Iv no problem wanting to spar and Id def like to compete but how long would I need to train before sparring is advisable? I dont want to get in there on the first night and get my A$$ handed to me :o

Ya can spar on day 1 if ya want but it would be with people who would look after you, but there is no panic on doing it..

We had a lad up similar the other day and he jumped in and had a spar and enjoyed it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Ya can spar on day 1 if ya want but it would be with people who would look after you, but there is no panic on doing it..

We had a lad up similar the other day and he jumped in and had a spar and enjoyed it..

brilliant stuff thanks a lot Il try and make it over friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I was just down at Mount Tallant today and spoke to Mick there.He told me at 30 i hadnt a hope.I understand he would be focused on the younger lads to train them young so i wasnt offended in the least :)
    But i am still looking for a club of any kind of fighting, mma or boxing or kick boxing that is affordable for a guy on the dole and where i can at worst train a few hours maybe most days.
    Im fairly well in shape(played alot of soccer) would need better cardio and maybe muscle, not a pick of fat on me.
    Is it really a no go for me to learn fast and get into competitions in a year or two?I ask because although i see mma fighters and boxers fighting at 35-45 i realise it may be because they have been doing it so long that its possible.Or maybe they are just very very good.
    I was quoted for 8 training sessions but im looking for somewhere i can go nearly everyday or at least 3 times a week to train till i drop.Cant afford or like gyms and mma appears to be exspensive.
    Im in terenure but will walk into the city center if anyone knows a place that could accomodate me.I hear there is one near crumlin i might be able to visit too.

Advertisement