Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivetime - blurring the lines between advertising and public interest

• 14-05-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

Does this warrant a complaint to the Broadcasting Authority.

This evening on drivetime Mary Wilson interviewed the owner of a business relating to the motor industry.

I don't want to name them and give them even more advertising but the interview was around 5 minutes (maybe more) and was a massive plug for the company. Their whole business was described and their website was mentioned numerous times.

This company has been around for some time - their website is around since at least February and there is no reason whatsoever that they are suddenly news-worthy. It is not remotely topical.

I hate this kind of stealth advertising but I know it happens all the time. It's becoming more and more common on these kinds of chat shows but is there any point in making a complaint on to the Broadcasting authority (bai.ie).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

On what grounds would you complain?

I didn't hear the piece but I'd be pretty sure they didn't do it with the sole intention of plugging some company. The company is obviously going to try and make the most of any opportunity to advertise their business.

Nice sig BTW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Gosh. Lucky I didnt hear it or I would have gone straight out to buy one of their cars!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

The Muppet wrote: »
    On what grounds would you complain?

Surely stuff that is advertising needs to be flagged as such? I know in the local paper you will see a "story" about a new business that has just opened and amazingly they have taken out a full page ad too.

But I had hoped drivetime was better than this? Also recently there was a financial services company describing their service thus giving them an unfair advantage over their compeditors.
    Nice sig BTW ;)
    I am not paid a licence fee by the people of Ireland and my sig is well within the rules of boards.ie - I have seen far more elaborate boards signatures.

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Surely stuff that is advertising needs to be flagged as such? I know in the local paper you will see a "story" about a new business that has just opened and amazingly they have taken out a full page ad too.

But I had hoped drivetime was better than this? Also recently there was a financial services company describing their service thus giving them an unfair advantage over their compeditors.

I am not paid a licence fee by the people of Ireland and my sig is well within the rules of boards.ie - I have seen far more elaborate boards signatures.

There is no licence fee for radio, there is only a tv licence.

Within the rules or not you are still advertising your business on someone elses site (free of charge I assume), have you sought their permission to do so? Someone might complain you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't be coy! What was the compnay and what was the nature of the discussion. This feels like half a story so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Going way off topic but in relation to:
    have you sought their permission to do so? Someone might complain you know.

see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60479

Getting back on topic I guess the answer is no. I realise when Michael O Leary comes on it's free advertising for Ryanair - usually however it is something topical or of interest.

Anyway forget it.

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Going way off topic but in relation to:

see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60479

Getting back on topic I guess the answer is no. I realise when Michael O Leary comes on it's free advertising for Ryanair - usually however it is something topical or of interest.

Anyway forget it.

Michael O Leary is the tip of the iceberg, what about all those bands that radio stations pay royalties to for the priveledge of advertising their products.

Advertisement