Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

goal scoring defenders

• 14-05-2010 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

which of the defenders going to the world cup score the most goals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

what?

It's a fairly basic question, tbf.

I dunno, tbh, not really in the know on goal scoring defenders, Pique maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My minds just gone blank, surely some defender will take some free kicks on one team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

If Michel Bastos plays for Brazil I can see him scoring a few, but im not sure if he will play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Terry if he can keep his head together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

curry-muff wrote: »
    If Michel Bastos plays for Brazil I can see him scoring a few, but im not sure if he will play.

bastos is a good shout.he will start at left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Yup. As much as I dislike Terry he'll probably score a few!

What about Dani Alves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

alves wont start for brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

If Algeria can pull off a shock then i reckon it will be partly down to Bougherra's crazy forward runs. Wether he scores many, i dont know, but he'll certainly create chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Bocanegra for the US is always good for a goal or two off set pieces (at his own end too :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ashley Cole should bang in one or two.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Agger takes alot of free's for Denmark more than he does for Liverpool so he's a decent shout for a goal or 2 depending on if they can make it out of there group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

bullpost wrote: »

Goals, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote: »

And his metatarsel.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i saw the title and immediately thought Colin Hendry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Vidic or one of the Brazilian centre backs. Brazil are lethal from corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Vidic or one of the Brazilian centre backs. Brazil are lethal from corners.

ill be betting on lucio to score some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jamie Carragher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Jamie Carragher?

dont think he ment own goals but good shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Maicon will be bombing forward a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SlickRic wrote: »

It was Steve Bruce for me on seeing the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Warper wrote: »
    Maicon will be bombing forward a lot
    Can see him scoring at least twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Muppet wrote: »

yeah you win on that.

he had a ratio of 1 in 8 in his career.

Hendry had 1 in 11/12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

The Spanish boys like Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

yeah you win on that.

Hendry had 1 in 11/12.

His 16 goal season will surely never be surpassed in English top flight football for a centre half.

Absolute f*cking legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

FatherTed wrote: »
    Bocanegra for the US is always good for a goal or two off set pieces (at his own end too :p)

Was 2nd top scorer for one season at Fulham,was a great goal scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

yeah you win on that.

Hendry had 1 in 11/12.
    Sinisa Mihajlovic was the one I immediately thought of, not sure how accurate wiki is, it says he had a ratio better than 1 in 6, but I do know he scored a lot of free kicks.

For this WC I would agree with Warper on Maicon, he does get forward a lot and I think he has 6 in Serie A this season, which is good for a defender imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Laurent Blanc and Hierro was who I thought of straight away :o

As said, John Terry would have been the best bet but since his private life became public, he's been woeful

Lucio would be another that is a target for set pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

The Muppet wrote: »

I thought Ian Harte, something near 20 goals this season for Carlise, and I presume hes still playing left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

bullpost wrote: »

0 goals in 77 games for England
    mike65 wrote: »

Terry has 8 goals in his last 177 games for Chelsea and 6 in 59 for England,5 of those in friendlies,instead of going to the bookies,place the bet with me! Especially the Cole one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he starts for Germany Marcell Jansen is a good one imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'd imagine Glen Johnson for England has to be in with a decent shout, especially considering he's England's only RB, so pretty much guaranteed to play the vast majority of games plus the fact that England have an easy looking group.

In a season where he had injuries and his form was erratic, he still managed 3 goals and 4 assists in 28 games with Liverpool, which is pretty decent going for a defender.

Also worth noting that Capello has been supposedly experimenting with a back 3 formation. Can't see it happeneing myself but if England did play it, it would give GJ even greater license to get forward.

Also worth noting that Capello has been supposedly experimenting with a back 3 formation. Can't see it happeneing myself but if England did play it, it would give GJ even greater license to get forward.
    Huh? Surely its likely he wouldn't start if they go with a 3 back formation and if he was one of those backs he would be instructed to stick to defense.

You hardly think he would be put in the midfield in a situation like that. Milner would be a huge favourite for a wing-back role.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Huh? Surely its likely he wouldn't start if they go with a 3 back formation and if he was one of those backs he would be instructed to stick to defense.

You hardly think he would be put in the midfield in a situation like that. Milner would be a huge favourite for a wing-back role.

Sorry should have explained a bit - I would imagine that the 3 at the back formation would only be actually used if England were chasing a game. As such it would be a case of adapting the players that were on the pitch into a 3-5-2 formation. Basically it would be a case of both GJ and Cashley told to play as midfielders and get forward with a third CB being brought one to provide defensive cover. GJ and Cashley would be told that their main focus would be on getting forward as opposed to defending.

If it were a case of playing 3-5-2 from the start I would imagine it would be a different scenario but I would still say GJ might be in with a shout, especially given how little Milner has played out wide this season. Don't think Milner has played more than a handful of games out wide this season if any. Article on the possible 3-5-2 below. As I said, I can only ever see it being used if it's a case that England are chasing a game.
    Fabio Capello considers England formation change

Fabio Capello is thinking about playing with three central defenders during the World Cup, BBC Sport understands.

The England boss is considering a move to 3-5-2 from 4-4-2 if Manchester City's Gareth Barry is forced out of the tournament by his ankle injury.

Capello has never played with three at the back since taking charge of the national squad in 2008.

England played a similar system under Steve McClaren in 2006, when they went down 2-0 away to Croatia.

"England's World Cup starts four weeks on Saturday and there is a chance they could start with three central defenders against the USA in Rustenburg [on 12 June]," reported BBC Radio 5 live's Ian Dennis.

"Capello has never played such a system with wing-backs in his time as manager, but I understand he will consider a change in formation if Barry doesn't recover from his injury.

"Capello spoke of his plans to members of England's '66 World Cup-winning side, who were inducted into football's Hall of Fame on Thursday.

"England played with three at the back during the ill-fated Euro 2008 qualifiers, but at least Capello has weeks rather than days to work on the system, which worked well during Italia '90."

A switch in formation would be a major change for the Italian, who has demonstrated his preference for 4-4-2 throughout his coaching career.

Four years ago England's deployment of a 3-5-2 formation ended disastrously against Croatia.

Eduardo headed Croatia ahead in Zagreb, then Paul Robinson's air-kick after the ball bobbled on an uneven surface resulted in an own-goal for Gary Neville, with the Croats going on to win 2-0.

Capello sprang some surprises in his provisional 30-man squad for South Africa on Wednesday, calling up Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher who retired from international duty in 2007.

Fellow central defenders Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King have both proved vulnerable to injury in recent years, while some critics have suggested former England captain John Terry has not been always been at his best this season.

Barry played in eight of England's 10 World Cup qualifiers, and has won 20 of his 36 international caps under Capello. The midfielder was named in the provisional squad and will have a fitness check on 24 May.

Manchester City said on 7 May that his ankle injury would rule him out for four weeks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm

Sorry should have explained a bit - I would imagine that the 3 at the back formation would only be actually used if England were chasing a game. As such it would be a case of adapting the players that were on the pitch into a 3-5-2 formation. Basically it would be a case of both GJ and Cashley told to play as midfielders and get forward with a third CB being brought one to provide defensive cover. GJ and Cashley would be told that their main focus would be on getting forward as opposed to defending.

If it were a case of playing 3-5-2 from the start I would imagine it would be a different scenario but I would still say GJ might be in with a shout, especially given how little Milner has played out wide this season. Don't think Milner has played more than a handful of games out wide this season if any. Article on the possible 3-5-2 below. As I said, I can only ever see it being used if it's a case that England are chasing a game ans as such can't see it being used from the start.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm
    Milner played plenty of games out wide, I'd guess at around 20 this season but not since late November.

• Advertisement

Milner played plenty of games out wide, I'd guess at around 20 this season but not since late November.

Had thought Milner was in CM since the start of the season but you're right he did play out wide early on.

However I think the point that is key is that GJ looks a cert to play pretty much every minute for England, barring injury, and he is well able to get forward. I doubt there are too many other defenders in the top teams who are pretty much dead certs to play every minute of every game.

However I think the point that is key is that GJ looks a cert to play pretty much every minute for England, barring injury, and he is well able to get forward. I doubt there are too many other defenders in the top teams who are pretty much dead certs to play every minute of every game.
    Ashley Cole, Dani Alves, Maicon, Sergio Ramos, Philipp Lahm and Rafael Marquez are all likely to play every game for their coutries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Giorgio Chiellini

Italy have games against Paraguay, New Zealand and Slovakia so I reckon he could grab a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gillington wrote: »
    Terry has 8 goals in his last 177 games for Chelsea and 6 in 59 for England,5 of those in friendlies,instead of going to the bookies,place the bet with me! Especially the Cole one

Just realized Terry has 1 less than Heskey in nearly the same amount of games. 6 in 59 is a good return for a defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Ashley Cole, Dani Alves, Maicon, Sergio Ramos, Philipp Lahm and Rafael Marquez are all likely to play every game for their coutries.

which one of them plays at left back? or do they alternate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mormank wrote: »
    which one of them plays at left back? or do they alternate?

Maicon plays RB

Alves sits on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Frisbee wrote: »
    Maicon plays RB

Alves sits on the bench

Well thats what i thought but the original poster must know different if he puts forward both defenders as likely to play every game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Gallas :mad::(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ramos tends to score when his team have a good lead he could definitely get a couple given the group Spain have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Richard Dunne.....no wait....oops.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Either Pepe of Portugal, Maicon of Brasil or Lahm of Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

In fairness the top-scoring defender could well be those with one goal. If someone go two, they'd be in with a great shout. With that in mind, it's very hard to call. I know Terry has been a bit dodgy in the last while but I'd still put my money on him, specially as England's group isn't exactly the strongest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'd go for Rafael Marquez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I would have went for Matt Elliott personally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement