Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burris scope???

Options
  • 14-05-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

dose any 1 own or ever used a burris scope? what you think of themas a brand :confused:

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I have one and I find it grand it's a Fullfield 3-9x40. It holds the zero fairly well anyway and has a nice reticle that let's you account for drop over large distances, it behaves well at dusk and with a lamp when I do a good bit of shooting.

I can't say I can comprehensively compare it to anything else though but it's never given me any trouble. It's on a .22WMR but I got it so that I could keep it if I ever go up to a centrefire.

Got it for dirt too as I bought it in the States and brought it home with me :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I use a Fullfield II, 6.5-20x50. With target knobs. Good scope, very clear glass. No loss of zero. I went with fine plex (unusual choice i know) over the ballistic plex. I know my zero and effective range without clicking up. Any further i also know my adjustments so ballistic was unnecessary, and saved me €100 on the price.

All in all i am happy with the scope and it's performance so far.

PS - Its on a CZ .223 cal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Yea mine is the Fullfield II also, Ballistic plex that's the name of the reticle I have! Adjusting the zero is handy enough actually they have a nice robust knob with a good noticeable click.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭vixdname

spideog7 wrote: »
    Yea mine is the Fullfield II also, Ballistic plex that's the name of the reticle I have! Adjusting the zero is handy enough actually they have a nice robust knob with a good noticeable click.

A robust knob is very very important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

ezridax wrote: »
    I use a Fullfield II, 6.5-20x50. With target knobs. Good scope, very clear glass. No loss of zero. I went with fine plex (unusual choice i know) over the ballistic plex. I know my zero and effective range without clicking up. Any further i also know my adjustments so ballistic was unnecessary, and saved me €100 on the price.

All in all i am happy with the scope and it's performance so far.

PS - Its on a CZ .223 cal.
    what kind of money is that exact scope Ezri? cheers mate...
    Seen them on ebay for about 450 plus postage (£) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Burris-200470-Fullfield-Tac-30-6-5-20X-50mm-BM-Dot-Mat-/110486193547?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b97d858b

• Advertisement

vixdname wrote: »
    A robust knob is very very important
    hahahahaha lol:D

kay 9 wrote: »
    what kind of money is that exact scope Ezri? cheers mate...
    Seen them on ebay for about 450 plus postage

Depending on turret choice (you can pick standard or target) and reticle choice (plain plex or ballistic plex) anywhere from €600 -€700.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Depending on turret choice (you can pick standard or target) and reticle choice (plain plex or ballistic plex) anywhere from €600 -€700.
    Why you went with the fine plex Ezri if ya don mind me asking? Any advantages apart from target shootin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

dose any 1 own or ever used a burris scope? what you think of themas a brand :confused:

thanks
    I have a 4x14x44 ballistic plex on my 308 for 4 years now and on a 30-06 before that never lost zeroing good scopes

Some/alot of hunters can and do use mil-dot quite successfully. I, due to target work, prefer the fine plex and to use moa (minutes of angle/adjustment) instead. Its really down to preference. There is no real distinction between the two.

The rifle was bought purely for hunting, not target work. Thats not to say i don't bring it to the range now and then for re-zero/zero check/trying new bullets. I have the rifle set at 1/1.5 inch high at 100yds. Thats good enough for 200 (dead on) and roughly 5-7 inches low at 300yds. Most of my shooting is done between 80 to 200yds. So i need a small bit of hold (up or down) between those distances, but never off the target. If i'm shooting at 300yds i'll give the scope a couple of moa up and take the shot, then drop it back down to its zero settings.

In the end its all down to personal choice and what you are most comfortable using. No point going for fine plex if you cannot, without looking down at your scope or reading from a note, adjust your scope. Also no point going for mil-dot if you genuinely are not sure of the drops each mil-dot represents at each distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

spideog7 wrote: »

Try using the clicks of a night-force, very precise!

They have very robust knobs too :D:D:D

Try using the clicks of a night-force, very precise

Not today they weren't. Nothing wrong with the scope, but by God the wind was woeful and the mirage..................... forget it.

Some/alot of hunters can and do use mil-dot quite successfully. I, due to target work, prefer the fine plex and to use moa (minutes of angle/adjustment) instead. Its really down to preference. There is no real distinction between the two.

The rifle was bought purely for hunting, not target work. Thats not to say i don't bring it to the range now and then for re-zero/zero check/trying new bullets. I have the rifle set at 1/1.5 inch high at 100yds. Thats good enough for 200 (dead on) and roughly 5-7 inches low at 300yds. Most of my shooting is done between 80 to 200yds. So i need a small bit of hold (up or down) between those distances, but never off the target. If i'm shooting at 300yds i'll give the scope a couple of moa up and take the shot, then drop it back down to its zero settings.

In the end its all down to personal choice and what you are most comfortable using. No point going for fine plex if you cannot, without looking down at your scope or reading from a note, adjust your scope. Also no point going for mil-dot if you genuinely are not sure of the drops each mil-dot represents at each distance.
    Thanks a million for that reply, appreciate it mate..Basically at the end of the day it is preference then:)

......Basically at the end of the day it is preference then:)

Pretty much.

Of the lads i shoot with there are 3 categories (for want of a better word)

A) The lads like myself. Use the range to get all the info they need on bullet drop and appropriate scope adjustments for the different ranges.

B) The lads that like and use mil-dot. They know for each grainage bullet what the mil-dot represents at the different distances and also use windage mil-dots where needed.

C) The lads that do half and half/neither. They use the range to zero their rifle. They then use holdover on all their shots. From experience/range time they know how high or low to hold the scope crosshairs over/below the intended point of impact to achieve the "perfect" point of aim. Most/all of this shooting is done at short ranges. 250yds max (rested of course. They're not that good).

Personally i wouldn't take a shot any further than that without knowing exactly how much adjustment my scope needs. Its a safety thing as well as ensuring a good hit and also for the animals sake. A good clean despatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

i've a burris black diamond they are a good scope very clear but not a dusk dawn scope very good under a lamp for foxing, also have a Meopta for the same money and is a much better scope for dusk and dawn and is realy up there for german feel and quailty.

Pretty much.

Of the lads i shoot with there are 3 categories (for want of a better word)

A) The lads like myself. Use the range to get all the info they need on bullet drop and appropriate scope adjustments for the different ranges.

B) The lads that like and use mil-dot. They know for each grainage bullet what the mil-dot represents at the different distances and also use windage mil-dots where needed.

C) The lads that do half and half/neither. They use the range to zero their rifle. They then use holdover on all their shots. From experience/range time they know how high or low to hold the scope crosshairs over/below the intended point of impact to achieve the "perfect" point of aim. Most/all of this shooting is done at short ranges. 250yds max (rested of course. They're not that good).

Personally i wouldn't take a shot any further than that without knowing exactly how much adjustment my scope needs. Its a safety thing as well as ensuring a good hit and also for the animals sake. A good clean despatch.
    I admit to being a category c man whilst hunting anyway. Tend to use the turrets for target or plinkin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I admit to being a category c man whilst hunting anyway. Tend to use the turrets for target or plinkin though.

I've 2MOA crosshair adjustments, unless its real loooooooooooong range Turrets are not needed that often. Depends really on the trajectory or curve of the round you are using. I have used both from time to time, its instinctive to want to use the centre as the centre.

NPR2 Reticiles are my fav for this reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Jim,
    Burris is the best scope you can buy for the money. The deals on the 1" scopes are amazing due to the trend towards 30mm.

I have several and NEVER EVER had a problem with low light conditions. I have had several cheap scopes (Tasco, Barska, NC Star) that all had that frosting effect during low light morning hours. All of my scopes are Burris.

Also, do not underestimate Redfield. Probably the next best scope for the money.

If you can afford a Zeiss, Swarovski, or S&B, then stop reading:) and buy.

Hunting deer - all you really need is 4x - get the fullfield II in 3-9x40 or 50. I prefer the 40 in order to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible.

Smaller targets need bigger magnification. Varmint hunting? I would go with the 6.5-20x50mm.

In order to get a better scope you will literally have to spend hundreds if not a thousand or more.

Get the Fullfield II and I bet you'll never regret or replace it.

I used to buy the Fullfield's when I could not afford the best. However, now that I can afford the Zeiss' et al, I cannot be bothered. I hunt, not target shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Jim,
    Burris is the best scope you can buy for the money. The deals on the 1" scopes are amazing due to the trend towards 30mm.

AHH... I think you need to have look at a Meopta scopes, Scully in Athlone has/had some

Advertisement