Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed re: Trip in Kerry

Options
  • 14-05-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm planning a trip for 5 nights in the greater Killarney region but would love some help doing so. It's a walking, camping/hosteling trip but I don't know the area too well. I've tried using google maps to plan routes but it is only so helpful. Here is my plan as it stands;

Day 1 - Dublin - Killarney
    Day 2 - Killarney - Kenmare (this is apparently roughly an 8ish hour walk, is this reliable/realistic?)
    Day 3 - Kenmare - Black Valley
    Day 4 - Black Valley- Killarney
    Day 5 - Killarney - Tralee (Is this a realistic walk? - I don't mind if it takes all day! Is there a walking trail or would we have to walk along the motorway?)

Any help/criticism greatly appreciated and needed.

Thanks in advance,
    Fionn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

maybe on day 5 you should stay in killarney area and explore national park as their is much to see , ross castle , muckross house , torc waterfall, dinis , meeting of the waters , and others too many to see in one day but loads of beautifull walks. as on walk to tralee you are not likely to see as much as it can only be travelled by road as far as i know . if you are determined to do this walk i would recommend walking the old killarney tralee road as it would be much safer. but for me it would be a day spent in killarney (heavens reflex as it is affectionally known ) national park and surrounds . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

You should check the Kerry Way. Start in Killarney and hike around the Ring on trails. Some stunning scenery and would be completed in 5 days http://www.kerryway.com

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Thanks guys, I'll take all that into account. So I take it that Killarney-Kenmare is walkable in one day then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

fionnsci wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'll take all that into account. So I take it that Killarney-Kenmare is walkable in one day then?[/QUOTE

Yes, Killarney/kenmare is walkable in one day. The main rd is very bendy
    narrow. Alternatively consider walking the "old Kenmare Rd".Part of the "Kerry Way" and is Only for walker/hikers. Stunning scenery no matter which way you look. and as was suggested in an earlier reply you should consider doing some of the stages of the "Kerry Way". Its got to be one of the most beautiful walks on earth. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Would agree about forget about walking Killarney to Tralee - wouldn't be that exciting a walk.

Investigate the Gap of Dunloe as well. It's possible to walk through the Gap and then get a boat down through the lakes.

Might be worth you while asking in the Outdoor Pursuits. At the very least they look to have some info in the useful links section.

• Advertisement

Thanks, lads, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

The Dingle Way is worth thinking about...
    http://www.dingleway.com/trail-maps/index.php
    It's a Tralee - Dingle route.

The killarney - kenmare route via the Old Kenmare Road is worth the trip.

I agree that killarney-tralee is not a worthwhile walk.
    Take the train to tralee and walk some of the dingle way ... a better option.

Actually, if you really wanted a treat on day 5 (and the weather is good), consider climbing mount brandon.
    give yourself 2.5 hrs up & about 2 down... should be comfortable enough with that.
    on a clear day, the views are spectacular.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Brandon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If I had 5 nights in Killarney.

Day 1. Go to Ross Castle, take a boat across the lake and hike back through the Gap of Dunloe.

Day 2. Start Ring of Kerry by bicycle, if you plan the route with care you can stretch this out to take in the local sites and heritage spots.

Day 4/5. Hike the old Kenmare road back into Killarney. You might need to have some one collect the bikes as it is not possible to cycle the whole route but if you have light bikes it would be possible to carry them for most of it and cycle on the road itself, you'll defo need lightweight off road wide tracked mountain bikes though

Hi lads, I thought I'd let you know how we got on. In the end we just did the first four days from the opening post and we were knackered by the end. Also, our livers couldn't take anymore abuse! The weather was perfect for walking. We walked about 5km out of Kenmare looking for a campsite that apparently no longer exists.....heartbreaking. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement