Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkin Pesto and ......

Options
  • 14-05-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi folks.

I'm going to make a pumpkin pesto but wondering what I should eat it with.
    I'm currently on a low carb diet so pastas are probably out of the question

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hello there Regina Phalange

Wonder would you post the recipe for this please.

Thanks,

Des

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Regina Phalange

Pumpkin Seed Pesto

2oz Pumpkin seeds
    2oz Flat Leaf Parsley
    2oz Basil Leaf
    2 Garlic Cloves
    1 Dessert spoon lemon
    3fl of Pumpkin seed oil
    2oz Parmesan

I haven't actually made it yet, its a past on recipe. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can make cauliflower "rice" by processing or grating cauliflower florets before cooking, there's a few examples online. Another thing is if you peel a courgette, then peel off long wide strips, stack them up and cut them lenthwise, you'll get long linguine/tagliatelle-like strips. Served with chicken or pork and sage butter, it would taste good.

Where did you get your pumpkin seed oil please?

I use in pumpkin seed mayo as a condiment.

If you thinned your pesto out with some vinegar, it would make a nice salad dressing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Pumpkin Seed Pesto

2oz Pumpkin seeds
    2oz Flat Leaf Parsley
    2oz Basil Leaf
    2 Garlic Cloves
    1 Dessert spoon lemon
    3fl of Pumpkin seed oil
    2oz Parmesan

I haven't actually made it yet, its a past on recipe. Good luck

we were just wondering where you gort your punpkin seed oil :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If you warm up some oil then add toasted (on a dry frying pan) pumpkin seeds and leave it to cool, you'll have toasted pumpkin seed oil, which can also be puréed and passed to thicken and intensify the flavour. Very nice with feta cheese and watermelon as a salad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If you warm up some oil then add toasted (on a dry frying pan) pumpkin seeds and leave it to cool, you'll have toasted pumpkin seed oil, which can also be puréed and passed to thicken and intensify the flavour. Very nice with feta cheese and watermelon as a salad.

hmmm, thank you. will give that ago :):)

In other countries you can find cold pressed pumpkin seed oil.
    It is lovely in salad dressings.
    Just wondering if anyone has seen that for sale here?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Where did you get your pumpkin seed oil please?

I use in pumpkin seed mayo as a condiment.

If you thinned your pesto out with some vinegar, it would make a nice salad dressing.
    irishbird wrote: »
    we were just wondering where you gort your punpkin seed oil :o:o

I actually got some from my aunt. I'll ask her where she got it. She's based in Galway, I presume it'll be somewhere there..... I'll be back!

Apologies for delay. My aunt purchased Pumpkin Seed Oil in Mortans, Salthill in Galway.

Still haven't made it yet... must get a wiggle on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Moonbaby wrote: »
    In other countries you can find cold pressed pumpkin seed oil.
    It is lovely in salad dressings.
    Just wondering if anyone has seen that for sale here?

They sell the toasted kind at the olive stand at farmer's market in Dun Laoghaire on Sundays, and I've seen the other kind for sale in the health food shop at the Newmarket co-op in Dublin 8. Mmm pumpkin seed oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I'd just have it some nice crunchy veg crudite. I made a wild garlic pesto a year or two ago that was lovely from a Dennis Cotter recipe, might go have a look out in the garden and see how the garlics doing and give it another go, was delicious on freshly dug and boiled spuds. You can do a walnut pesto too along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Vom Fass should sell pumpkin seed oil. They have a store in Dublin (South Anne St.) and also a webby (www.vomfass.ie)

The oil is sourced from the Steyrmark, if memory serves. Its not the best I've ever had...but its good.

In case anyone is wondering...I have no affiliation whatsoever with the group, other then that I frequent their shop in Bern (Switzerland).

Advertisement