Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown Investigates...

Options
  • 14-05-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see the first part of this where he is investigating whether or not some well known psychic/medium is real or not.

The guy is Joe Power. My god, I was just getting angry watching him, what a complete knob end!! Disgusting person manipulating grieving people. I like to keep an open mind about psycics and mediums but he completely put me off the idea of ever going to one. Can't believe he gets offensive if the people don't agree with what he's telling them, like saying the number 7 and if they don't know what it means, he says "Well I know love, keep thinking" Cheeky c**t! Delighted Derren made a complete tool out of him by doing nothing at all and letting Joe show the world that he is indeed a fraud!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

just watched it now after seeing your post (it's up in full on the channel 4 player)

I found joe intriguing, he was impressive in his first few readings and I enjoyed how much he was on his game for the cameras. He did so well initially that, knowing brown's form, I was half expecting him to turn out an accomplice of brown's in character to deconstruct how fake mediums work.

that wasn't the case - he was real i think, meaning i think he really was a conman. He's pretty decent at it though, and he had a fair bit of balls agreeing to the show.

There were some funny scenes actually. The one on one readings: first brown theatrically observing joe at work, then taking his own turn (which deliberately started off as cold reading for beginners, but ended with a few impressive hits).

by the last read I was almost feeling sorry for him, but of course it was always obvious how that was going to go -i'm a skeptic of brown too, he's a showman, and he's not out to make a documentary as such

his producers arranged this final "independent" reading, the ad they placed could have said anything and would have influenced the type of respondent. Despite the fact that they got her on camera saying she was 99% hoping for something 1% skeptical, she came across like she was in a skeptical frame of mind sitting down, i'm sure brown influenced that.

and i'm sure they were hoping for some kind of confrontation scene after it like they got. in the same way, they made him look good in the early part of the show to provide a bit of tension in the show. again, I don't believe derren brown is out to make documentaries. (edit: i probably should add i don't really believe in mediums either)

enjoyed the show though, i enjoy most of brown's stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

RGDATA! wrote: »

enjoyed the show though, i enjoy most of brown's stuff

Next show is about an American ghost hunter, should be even worse than Joe haha. Brilliant ending where it turns out Joe's sister was neighbours with that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Next show is about an American ghost hunter, should be even worse than Joe haha. Brilliant ending where it turns out Joe's sister was neighbours with that one :D

yeah, but a bit staged too. i mean did they really find that out "a few weeks after" and why not confront him on camera with it. just seemed a bit ba-dum-tish at the end, even though I didn't believe Joe anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

I watched the episode just now and one thing struck me , with regards to the actual info gleaned from the medium , i have witnessed much more accurate statements my self from irish mediums , down to correct name, age at passing , job description etc and even siblings info which was deemed accurate by sitters , if this guy joe power is being lauded as the best there is , then derren brown would do well to visit a few mediums here in our very own ireland , to be flabbergasted by the mediums here . Perhaps the typical irish skeptic is far more discerning than his or her british counterpart, as i have seen far more interesting sittings here.

Advertisement