Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drinking to get drunk

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

I'd say it depends on what you define as drunk. Different people class different levels of inebriation as "drunk". As in some would go tipsy->merry->getting there->half cut->drunk. Others may say on the way->drunk->smashed->a disgrace.

Personally, I drink to feel the effect of alcohol. It takes the edge off reality just nicely. Anyone who just has a drink to 'relax' is lying. If they wanted to relax, then they could do it without alcohol. If the say that sometimes they like a drink, then it's because they like the effect of alcohol.

Everyone drinks to alter their mood/perception/etc. To what extent they do so and to what they consider drunk determines whether or not they 'drink to get drunk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Just polished off a medium sized bottle of Jameson straight, and i'm still sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i'm not a big drinker myself if i do drink i'll just have the 1 i hate the taste of beer so i'd have cider or vodka and orange
    i usualy feel sick before i feel drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This come down to nature and nuture.

I agree with drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I like having a few drinks with my mates with the intention to relax and have a good time, if that means I get drunk then grand, if not I still have fun and enjoy myself either way.
    Same here. And I'll get funny looks if I say something like that. Besides, my booze tolerance has hit rock bottom, I've had one beer tonight and I'm feeling tipsy already. But if I want to get mad, then I'll drink like a sponge and get twisted.
    nachoman wrote: »
    Just polished off a medium sized bottle of Jameson straight, and i'm still sober.
    You are my hero. All hail king Jameson

• Advertisement

If its out for a few pints for a chat or to watch a match then getting drunk is not the aim, although these nights have ended up being drunkin nights.

Going out on a Saturday night Id be lying if getting locked by the end of the night was not the general plan for me and most of my friends. I hate that feeling when you check the time in the club and its 15 mins till they stop serving and your not drunk enough. A few quick jagers and a straight Jameson or two usually solve the problem :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

exactly, theres no alcoholic drink that I actually prefer the taste of rather then a soft drink or something. I usually drink just to fairly drunk or until my money runs out,which is most of the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I never aim to get drunk, it's only when i'm drunk i want to get more drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I only go out drinking about once a week because i know i drink to get drunk! I tend to feel like i havent done my job right if i come home sober

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You can drink to get laid too
    Im drunk and not getting laid right now.You lied to me sir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

You're doing it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

nearly every post on after hours on a friday night is about getting drunk

im actually drubk now

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You're doing it wrong
    I see.......................anyone got a pocket pu$$y I can borrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

You cant get laid on your computer:p(well other then a palm sandwich but that doesnt really count)

I drink for two reasons I love beer and I love being drunk.
    However if you end up being locked and not remembering the night thats fooking pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

And i smoke until i'm sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭YouTalkinToMe

Yes, I drink. I’m a drinker. There are many reasons. Do any of them matter? Not really. Not as long as I can get my lips on something that’s gone through the fermentation process. A tankard of ale. A tumbler of scotch. A bathtub of mead. I’m a hard liver. And consequently, I have one. I take my drinking seriously. I get upset when I hear Eric Burdon sing “Spill the wine.” I’ve made arrangements to be cremated and my ashes kept in a Smirnoff bottle. There are many excuses for why I drink. I drink because alcohol makes me feel better. I drink because my local bartender needs to pay off his creditors. I drink because everyone from Bogart to Bukowski to the entire cast of the Bible drank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

SugarHigh wrote: »
    People like to pretend they don't drink to get drunk so they have one more thing they can look down on others for.

That's bollocks. I haven't been properly drunk in several years but I still drink regularly because I like the taste of my drinks. I've been in awful states of drunkenness before and freely admit it (in this very forum) so I have no business looking down on anyone. These days, I drink to enjoy myself, which doesn't necessarily involve large amounts of alcohol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The problem when I drink to get drunk is that when it comes time for me to drive home, I have to ask a passer-by to hold the car steady so that I can get the key into the door lock.
    Going to get me one of those new 'proximity keys' that the car will start when the key's just in my pocket...

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

I drink to improve my driving skills. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I drink to get drunk and i hope my moth gets drunker so I can give her a good ride.... She is wicked when she is drunk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Drinking to get drunk? Those were the days...(age 14-16.5).:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yes, I drink. I’m a drinker. There are many reasons. Do any of them matter? Not really. Not as long as I can get my lips on something that’s gone through the fermentation process. A tankard of ale. A tumbler of scotch. A bathtub of mead. I’m a hard liver. And consequently, I have one. I take my drinking seriously. I get upset when I hear Eric Burdon sing “Spill the wine.” I’ve made arrangements to be cremated and my ashes kept in a Smirnoff bottle. There are many excuses for why I drink. I drink because alcohol makes me feel better. I drink because my local bartender needs to pay off his creditors. I drink because everyone from Bogart to Bukowski to the entire cast of the Bible drank.
    Amen to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

SugarHigh wrote: »
    People like to pretend they don't drink to get drunk so they have one more thing they can look down on others for.

Really? I'll remember that the next time I am out for 3 or 4 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pat2011

am i the only one who sees no point in drinking unless you get drunk?

Ah to be 15 again.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pat2011

Gary4279 wrote: »
    I drink to improve my driving skills. :D

Foolish mupett.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I dont have much choice, 2 pints and i'm pissed.

It's a nightmare being such a lightweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Exams finish today. Nice half litre of Captain Morgans will be waiting for me when I arrive home. Ah college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

bazmaiden wrote: »
    I dont have much choice, 2 pints and i'm pissed.

It's a nightmare being such a lightweight

Wow really , thats awesome and sad in equal measure.

I don't drink , but I could drink gallons of it in the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38,380 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

yeah the same. Not a lover of the taste of alcohol. Some people seem to come alive with a few pints in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

lonad wrote: »
    Wow really , thats awesome and sad in equal measure.

I don't drink , but I could drink gallons of it in the day :o

Like last night I had 4 pints and I was wankered!!!

And i'm 23 so its pretty weak, can't drink spirits or anything

Advertisement