Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Change - UPC or Magnet?

• 14-05-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have been a UTV customer for the past 5+ years. Currently on the 7mb package.

Top be fair, always good to deal with if I ever had a problem and very steady service. Get the following like clockwork, day or night..Paying €49 a month...

814763752.png
    16887092.png

But I'd like to change so I can download movies from iTunes quicker and move them then to Apple TV say hooked up to the Television.

We're with UPC already so the 20mb package is €32.

25mb with Magnet €54.

But I'm put off with the reports from many UPC customers on their broadband...dropped connections, crap service etc. Whereas Magnet seems to come off well, very reliable and you have to really search for threads on here to find mentions of them which I would say is a good sign?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

A lot of the UPC problems here come from the firewall being turned on full by default on the UPC combined router and modem.
    This causes packet loss and other problems.
    Turning off the firewall gives me these results.
    By the way your turn off the router firewall not you PC firewall.;)
    814861347.png16893430.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rob C wrote: »
    Hi all,

Top be fair, always good to deal with if I ever had a problem and very steady service. Get the following like clockwork, day or night..Paying €49 a month...

?

I'm on that package with UTV and it only costs me €24 euro a month plus € 5 to go unlimited.

I have a post similar to this one here as well, considering switching for the faster speed but i have been with UTV for a long time and am really happy with the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Even better today.

16918822.png815231359.png

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm on that package with UTV and it only costs me €24 euro a month plus € 5 to go unlimited.

I have a post similar to this one here as well, considering switching for the faster speed but i have been with UTV for a long time and am really happy with the service.

I'm including the line rental in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

I got UPC installed roughly a month ago, fine in the beginning then after 1800 it fell on its arse! but after threads and calls and a formal complaint it was sorted fairly lively. Although I don't think my complaints and calls rectified the problem as apparently it was a swords issue and going by what the threads are saying a lot of folks did get thier BB connections fixed. Mine has been fine ever since.

The only thing I would say is if you do call the cust service team you will need to extend your patience levels as they wear thin very quickly. But eventually you will get folks of an intelligent and helpful manner.

Also If you do elect to go with UPC, go straight to the router page and as another user suggested, disable the firewall and IP flooding.

Suffice to say I would say take a chance on UPC (try to forget the whole chorus /ntl thing). For the service the price is quite reasonable.
    Oh one more thing my upload is supposed to be 3mb, rarely goes above 1.2mb, I don't upload that much so if that is something that would bother you, take note.

Regards
    John

My stats at the moment

815656114.png
    16946210.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Ranicand wrote: »
    A lot of the UPC problems here come from the firewall being turned on full by default on the UPC combined router and modem.
    This causes packet loss and other problems.
    Turning off the firewall gives me these results.
    By the way your turn off the router firewall not you PC firewall.;)
    814861347.png16893430.png

How do I turn off the router firewall?

Tarabuses

Go to 192.168.1.1

scroll down to FIREWALL, click OPTIONS then disable FIREWALL PROTECTION.

If this is your first time entering your router page, it will ask for a user name and password, leave both fields blank and click ok, you will then be prompted to create a user name and password.

Regards
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Thanks, John, I have done that and will wait and see if there is an improvement in performance.

Also while you are disabling the firewall, also switch off "IP Flooding" from with the same area that you disabled the firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

johnc24 wrote: »
    Tarabuses

Go to 192.168.1.1

scroll down to FIREWALL, click OPTIONS then disable FIREWALL PROTECTION.

If this is your first time entering your router page, it will ask for a user name and password, leave both fields blank and click ok, you will then be prompted to create a user name and password.

Regards
    John
    Also while you are disabling the firewall, also switch off "IP Flooding" from with the same area that you disabled the firewall.

Am I missing something: Why would you switch off Firewall protection and IP Flooding protection on the router?

I know your PC / laptop should be running a firewall anyway, but does the security on the router not add an extra layer of protection to stop any attacks getting as far as your PC / laptop / etc.?

• Advertisement

I got UPC installed roughly a month ago, fine in the beginning then after 1800 it fell on its arse! but after threads and calls and a formal complaint it was sorted fairly lively. Although I don't think my complaints and calls rectified the problem as apparently it was a swords issue and going by what the threads are saying a lot of folks did get thier BB connections fixed. Mine has been fine ever since.

The only thing I would say is if you do call the cust service team you will need to extend your patience levels as they wear thin very quickly. But eventually you will get folks of an intelligent and helpful manner.

Also If you do elect to go with UPC, go straight to the router page and as another user suggested, disable the firewall and IP flooding.

Suffice to say I would say take a chance on UPC (try to forget the whole chorus /ntl thing). For the service the price is quite reasonable.
    Oh one more thing my upload is supposed to be 3mb, rarely goes above 1.2mb, I don't upload that much so if that is something that would bother you, take note.

Regards
    John

My stats at the moment

815656114.png
    16946210.png

Thanks John, some good advice there. I'll go with UPC as the price is very good indeed for the speed etc.

quick update....

Ordered on Tuesday evening and the Router/Modem arrived by courier today.

No issues to install, have UPC TV already so used the two way splitter to connect all cables, turned on the modem and everything was working in minutes...Very easy. Have turned off the Firewall settings as advised. It's very fast, impressive speeds for sure.

So far so good, just hoping it lasts....!

I'm in the Stepaside area btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

Rob C wrote: »
    quick update....

Ordered on Tuesday evening and the Router/Modem arrived by courier today.

No issues to install, have UPC TV already so used the two way splitter to connect all cables, turned on the modem and everything was working in minutes...Very easy. Have turned off the Firewall settings as advised. It's very fast, impressive speeds for sure.

So far so good, just hoping it lasts....!

I'm in the Stepaside area btw.

Could you post a speedtest please as I live close to you and was wondering what you're ping was like?

Dark Nex wrote: »
    Could you post a speedtest please as I live close to you and was wondering what you're ping was like?

Sure, 15MB package.

822616462.png
    17381830.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

id go with magnet if you can get them to be honest UPC customer service are the worest ive ever seen they barely answer there phones from what i can see on boards magnet has a better REP than UPC does but then again its your choice whatever suits your needs also you have a magnet rep on boards to help with problems while UPC dont have anyone on here so that may be a added bonus lol ..i do like the UPC service just the customer support aint that good

Advertisement