Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer ban expired

Options
  • 14-05-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry my soccer ban expired tonight and on logging in I got this message
    The Soccer forum has specific requirements before a user is granted the ability to post. These requirements are the minimum necessary to keep the forum an enjoyable experience for all users.
    Please see the Soccer Access Request forum and the Soccer Requests Charter & Mechanism at the top of that forum for more information.
    I pmd the mod who banned me. Mod was online at the time and despite two pms he hasnt replied and is now gone offline.
    I was not expecting to receive an automated response on my return but it would have been a common courtesy for mod to at least to reply to pm to at least clarify the situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Your ban was issued on 4/5 and is for 14 days. It expires sometime around 9pm on 18/5. The ban will expire automatically, however there may be a lag of an hour or two before the system actually removes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Sorry the bans runs till the 14th. It says ban has expired on my infraction list. I have pmd mod for clarification twice now and am still waiting a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Infractions and bans are two different things.

The infraction has expired, it was for 10 days. You can see this in your user profile.

The ban has not expired, it was for 14 days. Regular users, such as yourself, are not able to view this information.

If i am banned for fourteen days whiy wasn't that just put down. What is the point of a ten day infraction when it falls under the umbrage of another ban. That wasn't communicated properly and a found the automated message link to be not very helpful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

For the purpose of clarification

1) Your ban runs for 14 days from 04/05 and will be lifted automatically by the system once it expires.

2) You sent your first PM 23 minutes before this thread, and your second PM 16 minutes before this thread

3) The mod in question, i.e. me, is "always online" because I always have boards open on a laptop in the house. Despite me actually not being near a computer last night after 10pm.

As hard as it may be to believe I don't sit at home constantly hitting F5 in the hope that somebody has sent me a PM. Expecting instantaneous responses to PMs will only leave you disappointed in the end and starting helpdesk threads accusing people of a lack of courtesy while displaying the same yourself really isn't the way to go imo.

• Advertisement

If i am banned for fourteen days whiy wasn't that just put down. What is the point of a ten day infraction when it falls under the umbrage of another ban. That wasn't communicated properly and a found the automated message link to be not very helpful at all.

You would have received two different PMs, one with details of the ban, one with details of the infraction. Both would have stated when they expire.

I appreciate the reply Iago but the fact of the matter is that my infraction ban said ten days so that is where the confusion arose. And that automated response didnt help things one iota.
    If my ban is fourteen days that should have been put up by you on the list. Dont see the point of having an infraction that expires in ten days when the ban is for fourteen days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The infraction notices are all for ten days, regardless of whether there's an associated ban or not and regardless of the length of that ban if there is one.

Iago wrote: »
    For the purpose of clarification

1) Your ban runs for 14 days from 04/05 and will be lifted automatically by the system once it expires.

2) You sent your first PM 23 minutes before this thread, and your second PM 16 minutes before this thread

3) The mod in question, i.e. me, is "always online" because I always have boards open on a laptop in the house. Despite me actually not being near a computer last night after 10pm.

As hard as it may be to believe I don't sit at home constantly hitting F5 in the hope that somebody has sent me a PM. Expecting instantaneous responses to PMs will only leave you disappointed in the end and starting helpdesk threads accusing people of a lack of courtesy while displaying the same yourself really isn't the way to go imo.
    Iago I appreciate you may have not have been online but if your light is showing green you are to all intents and purposes online. Your light went to grey a few minutes after my pm so im wondering how that happened if you werent officially there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Iago I appreciate you may have not have been online but if your light is showing green you are to all intents and purposes online. Your light went to grey a few minutes after my pm so im wondering how that happened if you werent officially there.

If my light is showing green? So I should now change my browsing and internet habits to satisfy some perceived demand you feel you have on my time if it looks like I might be online?? Are you kidding me....

btw, below is the official mail that goes out when someone is banned from the forum, I'd draw your attention to

a) the part in bold (as it is in the original mail)

and

b) the part that's underlined by me in the text I sent you

Now can you explain how that isn't clear please?

Once again you see what you want to see, and hear what you want to hear. I really don't think this site is for you SOTS as much as I hate to have to say it.

Hi Spiritoftheseventies,

You have been banned from Soccer for the following duration:

14 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Ignored multiple warnings both on-thread and by PM. If you aren't willing to comply with the rules and moderation of the forum then there's no need for you to have access to the forum.

Even after recieving a final warning this afternoon you have blatantly ignored it on the same thread. Your ban is for 2 weeks, if you don't improve your behaviour on your return you will receive an extended ban from the forum.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 14 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

• Advertisement

Iago how you can tie in the running of your forum with this site is beyond me. I am posting quite happily on other site so I am going to ask you to withdraw that last remark about this site being for me. We have disagreements on SF that is all.
    Anything outside of SF is not related IMO. Its more a reflection of how your forum is moderated compared to others.
    Again I assumed when I saw ten days on my infraction it meant ten days. And again I PMd you and two minutes later you went from online to off line.
    What was i to think when i saw that message. Didnt know whether I had to re apply for access.
    Again it would have been a common courtesy to reply to it.

if your light is showing green you are to all intents and purposes online.

That is utterly irrelevant.

You are not entitled to an immediate response from a moderator, so please do not expect one.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That is utterly irrelevant.

You are not entitled to an immediate response from a moderator, so please do not expect one.
    Sorry in this instance a quick line on the matter would have cleared up the matter. Even an automated response to at least acknowledge that my query was being dealt with. Again to re iterate the wording of that message had changed from this
    Spiritoftheseventies, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. You may be trying to post in a restricted forum such as Soccer, or one of the many private forums on boards.ie.
    For clarification, check our Help Desk forum.
    2. You may be banned from this forum if you contravened an element of the forum charter.
    3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    4. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

to this

boards.ie Message
    The Soccer forum has specific requirements before a user is granted the ability to post. These requirements are the minimum necessary to keep the forum an enjoyable experience for all users.
    Please see the Soccer Access Request forum and the Soccer Requests Charter & Mechanism at the top of that forum for more information.
    Forgetting the length of the ban, this message is just confusing and I was looking for clarification on this which I feel in this instance should have been given to me.

Sorry in this instance a quick line on the matter would have cleared up the matter.
    Iago wrote: »

Despite the green light, Iago was not around. Even if he was, I am sure he reads other forums and would get around to PMs when he had a moment.

Moderators tend to get quite a number of PMs and you can be sure nobody gets an instant response and that includes you.

Sorry this hasn't been explained. If Iago wasn't around how did his light go from green to grey. Surely he had to switch from online mode to offline mode himself.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sorry this hasn't been explained. If Iago wasn't around how did his light go from green to grey. Surely he had to switch from online mode to offline mode himself.

Possible explanations
    • Iago could have logged off himself
    • The battery could have died on his laptop
    • There could have been an interruption to his internet access
    • Someone else could have switched off his laptop or logged him off

And I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Listen SOTS, you really do need to lose the sense of entitlement. There are over 300,000 registered members on Boards and I can honestly say that none take up as much mod or admin time as you. I'm trying to defend you on another forum, but it makes it very hard to justify my actions when you then come out with crap like this. For everyone's sake but, most importantly, for your own, please stop taking things to heart so much. It's the internet, and yes, it is serious business, but only to a point.

Your infraction was for 10 days and has expired. Your ban is for 14 days and will expire in another couple of days. The duration of the two are unrelated. The mods of some forums such as PI infract whenever a ban is given as a matter of course so that there is a permanent record of the ban. It seems that the soccer mods operate a similar system.

Advertisement