Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EF v's EF-S

• 14-05-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I have seen dozens of discussions onthis but none of them answer this simple question. Say I have a canon 450D and I have 2 lenses, a 75-300 EF and a 75-300 EF-S. I know there is a multiplyer of 1.6, but which one will give me more zoom. I want to take photos of my kids playing football and they are ofter far away. I need to get a fair bit of zoom, so which one gets me closer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Both identical! The ef-s lens are made only for crop 1.6 crop sensors and won't work on 1.3 and full frame sensor seen on canons 1 series and 5 series cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Neither. They're the same.

EF and EF-S are just the lens fits. The focal length is identical.

EF will work on all Canon dslr bodies.
    EF-S will only work on the APS-C bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

As above, if using either lens on an APC-C camera such as the 450D, there is no difference in which will get you closer.

The EF-S lenses are not compatible with a full frame camera. The EF lens will work on both, albeit slightly differently.

If you put your EF lens on a full frame camera (5D or 1D) it would be wider throughout, and so shorter on the long end.

If you are planning on buying a full frame camera in the future, you might consider investing only in to EF lenses.

Seen as the OP has been answered, I was wondering if I could perhaps get an answer to a similar question?

I have a Canon 20D and an Olympus E-420. The Oly E series have a crop factor of 2.0 and the 20D is 1.6.

Does that mean that If I buy a 100mm lens for my Olympus, that it'll give me 200mm when I put it on, whereas if I buy a 100mm lens for my 20D that i'll actually get 160mm?

Or are the lenses made specific to each camera brand/body they're for? so they work out the difference and label them as such? (ie; 100mm lens on both would give the same reach)?

:confused:

Also.. what is 100mm? or 50mm? I have a 40-150mm lens.. but obviously it zooms me in further than 140mm (which would be about half a footstep forward). How does the mm convert to feet for actual zoom/reach?

(I assume the mm is something to do with how far away the lens moves from the sensor for taking the photo to achieve a greater zoom? ie; at 18mm the element of the rear of the lens is 18mm away from the sensor, and at 140mm, its 140mm away from the camera?)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Both identical! The ef-s lens are made only for crop 1.6 crop sensors and won't work on 1.3 and full frame sensor seen on canons 1 series and 5 series cameras.

If this is the case, then why did the EF mount cameras come with a stock lens of 28-80 and the EF-S cameras come with 18-55 lens. I understooc that there was an ewuivalence of sorts (equates to the 1.6 crop factor).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

BlueSpud wrote: »
    If this is the case, then why did the EF mount cameras come with a stock lens of 28-80 and the EF-S cameras come with 18-55 lens. I understooc that there was an ewuivalence of sorts (equates to the 1.6 crop factor).

Because if you use the 28-80 on a camera with a 1.6 crop factor (and it does fit) it is equivalent to 45-128mm, which isn't very wide for a general kit lens. The 18-55 EF-S lens was designed specifically to address this issue.

EF-S lenses are cheaper to produce as they only need to project the light onto a smaller area. You could use a 17-55 EF lens and have exactly the same results, but it would be more expensive to produce and buy that lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Seen as the OP has been answered, I was wondering if I could perhaps get an answer to a similar question?

I have a Canon 20D and an Olympus E-420. The Oly E series have a crop factor of 2.0 and the 20D is 1.6.

Does that mean that If I buy a 100mm lens for my Olympus, that it'll give me 200mm when I put it on, whereas if I buy a 100mm lens for my 20D that i'll actually get 160mm?

Or are the lenses made specific to each camera brand/body they're for? so they work out the difference and label them as such? (ie; 100mm lens on both would give the same reach)?

:confused:

Also.. what is 100mm? or 50mm? I have a 40-150mm lens.. but obviously it zooms me in further than 140mm (which would be about half a footstep forward). How does the mm convert to feet for actual zoom/reach?

(I assume the mm is something to do with how far away the lens moves from the sensor for taking the photo to achieve a greater zoom? ie; at 18mm the element of the rear of the lens is 18mm away from the sensor, and at 140mm, its 140mm away from the camera?)

Cheers :)

To answer thebold bit, Yes a 100mm on a 2.0(four thirds/micro four thirds) will be equivalent to 200mm where as the same lens on a 20D will be equivalent to 160mm

As for the non bold, This has never bothered me so I can't answer and I'd rather not google it and link you to a crappy resource, So I'll let some one else answer it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Focal length numbers are based on a 35mm film frame.
    It's a measure of where light coming from infinity crosses the lens to the focusing plane.
    image018.jpg

In the above image the focal length is shown by F.
    In a simple lens it is simply a measure from the centre of the lens to the focal plane.
    In a compound lens where there are many elements it is difficult to locate.
    I guess this of it as being like the centre of gravity.

1.6 crop factors are a factor of this 35mm.

A 50mm lens on a 35mm camera (D3, 5D etc) is roughly equivalent to what the human eye sees. Longer is telephoto and shorter is wide-angle.

Loads more info here:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm
    and here on cropped sensors:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

Advertisement