Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aviva Stadium complete

• 14-05-2010 10:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Just want to say fair play to all involved in our new national soccer and rugby stadium. I have a few gripes with it but we have what we have. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Have to say it looked fantastic on the documentary RTE had on earlier, still i feel pretty bad for anyone watching a match in the last few rows of the top tier..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Am i the only one who thinks the end with about ten rows of seats looks a bit lame? other than that its very impressive.

Yeah it looks stupid alright, they'll fit 1,000 people max into that stand.. Hopefully in a few years they'll complete it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

I saw it properly for the first time on the way to my college exams last week and I gotta admit, it looks absolutely lovely from the outside, I havn't seen the inside yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The mini-stand is, quite frankly, laughable. Am I missing something obvious as to why it's so teensy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah it looks stupid alright, they'll fit 1,000 people max into that stand.. Hopefully in a few years they'll complete it..

never tbh ppl who live there dictated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

It's purposely like that so it doesn't block natural sunlight to the residents behind the stadium. It's a great looking stadium and can't wait to start working there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The small stand (North Stand i believe) holds 3000 apparently so the away fans will be seated there.

I think it looks silly but its saved from looking **** by the fact that the roof swoops down and covers the midget stand in, giving the feeling of a complete stadium........ unlike Croke Park where 3 beautiful stands are ruined by one ugly fookin piece of poo terrace that ruins the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I have to say, the small stand at the end has really grown on me. The lopsided shape is really a unique feature that will make the stadium instantly recognizable too. I think the architects made the most of what they could.

It's purposely like that so it doesn't block natural sunlight to the residents behind the stadium. It's a great looking stadium and can't wait to start working there :D

Right but the 3 other stands dont block the sunlight?? I dont buy that,I've
    read on various architecture forums where they say the same thing, how is the sunlight not impacted by the other 3 stands, plus they could have made the stand slightly larger given the space that is empty, I think its a case of irish sporting organisations having a fascination with 3/4 built stadiums

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Right but the 3 other stands dont block the sunlight?? I dont buy that,I've
    read on various architecture forums where they say the same thing, how is the sunlight not impacted by the other 3 stands, plus they could have made the stand slightly larger given the space that is empty, I think its a case of irish sporting organisations having a fascination with 3/4 built stadiums

Do you honestly not understand how it works? :pac:

the sun is that things in the sky, up high, the lower part of stadium is near the house, so as not to cast too big a looming shadow over the houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

mayordenis wrote: »

the sun is that things in the sky, up high, the lower part of stadium is near the house, so as not to cast too big a looming shadow over the houses.

Do you?

You actually know that the earth rotates around the sun?

AKA we move around that "thing" in the sky.

Meaning the the other three stands could also potentially block sun light depending on their position.

EPIC FAIL at trying to be smart.

Yeah but what im saying is there is a large gaping hole between the stand and the roof, why not fill it with more seats..

Osu wrote: »
    Do you?

You actually know that the earth rotates around the sun?

AKA we move around that "thing" in the sky.

Meaning the the other three stands could also potentially block sun light depending on their position.

EPIC FAIL at trying to be smart.

see this picture

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Aviva_stadium_under_construction.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

an oul pic wouldn't go astray !!

syngindub wrote: »
    an oul pic wouldn't go astray !!

inside http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0514/breaking47.html?via=mr

and to continue my little debate over how shadows work I've gone to the extreme trouble of drawing arrows where the major shadows from the larger stands can end up - and I've circled in red the small stand so as to highlight the wrongness of how some people are wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/mayordenis/newbish.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Still gonna call it Lansdowne, though.

inside http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0514/breaking47.html?via=mr

and to continue my little debate over how shadows work I've gone to the extreme trouble of drawing arrows where the major shadows from the larger stands can end up - and I've circled in red the small stand so as to highlight the wrongness of how some people are wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/mayordenis/newbish.jpg

Those arrows just point at things. The original question was will the other 3 stands in the stadium block sunlight. And the simple answer is yes, they have to.

They just made the west stand (I think) smaller, because the shadows would block sunlight to a residential area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

excuse my ignorance, but is that the west stand with about 4 seats?
    Doing my best not to be too pesimistic about it !!

Those arrows just point at things. The original question was will the other 3 stands in the stadium block sunlight. And the simple answer is yes, they have to.

They just made the west stand (I think) smaller, because the shadows would block sunlight to a residential area.

Oh well of course they'll still make a shadow, shadow isn't really a problem if it isn't looming over peoples homes though is it?

• Advertisement

Oh well of course they'll still make a shadow, shadow isn't really a problem if it isn't looming over peoples homes though is it?

Residential housing had nothing to do with the original question though. The question was just about shadows.

Residential housing had nothing to do with the original question though. The question was just about shadows.

What are you talking about? Why would anyone discuss if there will be shadows or not?

this was where it started

Nobody ever said , this is a shadowless structure.

I'm honestly bewildered - Why would that be a topic? of course it has shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't wait to see it full for the first big game!. Hopefully I can get tickets to the Argentina game.

I like the little 3,000 seat stand, it's different :).

What are you talking about? Why would anyone discuss if there will be shadows or not?

this was where it started

You quoted waltersobchak who asked about sunlight.

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Some people don't learn.

You quoted waltersobchak who asked about sunlight.

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Some people don't learn.

and who did waltersobchak quote? That's where the discussion started.

I honestly think you're on a really poor wind up here.

and who did waltersobchak quote? That's where the discussion started.

I honestly think you're on a really poor wind up here.

Hmmm and you posted this, trying to be smart and failing:

And oh dear.... waltersobchak was talking about sun light. Nowhere in his post do you find the word residential.

ITS JUST ABOUT SUNLIGHT!

Hmmm and you posted this, trying to be smart and failing:

And oh dear.... waltersobchak was talking about sun light. Nowhere in his post do you find the word residential.

ITS JUST ABOUT SUNLIGHT!

Lol

you're ridiculous.

The original point was that the small stand is to allow residents on the side of the small stand to still get sunlight ie. not to be in a shadow.

That's why the stand was made so low. To not block sunlight, to not create to big a shadow over residential homes.

I'm really not sure how you can argue against this.

Your points are totally stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree wit mayordenis, wat are ye talking about?!

Lol

you're ridiculous.

The original point was that the small stand is to allow residents on the side of the small stand to still get sunlight ie. not to be in a shadow.

That's why the stand was made so low. To not block sunlight, to not create to big a shadow over residential homes.

Terribly slow...

You can't be serious.

Effects of architectural design...

My god you really need to spell it out for some people on here...
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is Osu right now:
    diggingahole.jpg

This is Osu right now:

Totally off-topic...

Thanks whore.

At least you wont have to worry about sunlight from down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

osu, have you had a few drinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would congratulate but the FAI are the lowest form of dirt around so I won't bother.

At least you wont have to worry about sunlight from down there.

Smart man, yet their is light in that picture. :confused:
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    osu, have you had a few drinks?

No dude, just kik out of Tesco. Somethings in that ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Isn't it the north stand thats small?
    Since the sun goes east,south,west during the day, what effect would thats have on sunlight from the north? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lol

you're ridiculous.

I really do not understand how every discussion ends up like this.

It's generally with boggles or the muppet but it's always a bloody United fan for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am delighted that the stadium is finished. The small end is stupid looking but what can you do. One thins that strikes me about is is that they could have made the tier steeper. It might have looked less retarded then.

I really do not understand how every discussion ends up like this.

It's generally with boggles or the muppet but it's always a bloody United fan for some reason.

Oh an ABU blaming the standards of discussion on Boards on the United fans!

Surprise, surprise!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Give it a rest ffs. Amazing how anything can be turned into a bitch fest around here.

Anyway, the stadium is a bit of a let down for me due to that poxy little stand. They should have done everything possible to turf those residents out so we aren't stuck with Croke Park MKII, i.e. a 75% masterpiece.

Very disappointing with only a 50,000 given the attendances at big games in Croker. Going to be quite difficult to get tickets.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anyway, the stadium is a bit of a let down for me due to that poxy little stand. They should have done everything possible to turf those residents out so we aren't stuck with Croke Park MKII, i.e. a 75% masterpiece.

Very disappointing with only a 50,000 given the attendances at big games in Croker. Going to be quite difficult to get tickets.

Did they even attempt to offer them compensation to demolish their homes?

The stadium would of looked so much better.

TBH that stand is a let down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Wow.I'm a bit stumped.Going past the stadium on the dart most days I must say I didnt like it at all but that photo changes my mind,cant wait til its up and running(might even commit sacrilege and go to the United game!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Did they even attempt to offer them compensation to demolish their homes?

The stadium would of looked so much better.

TBH that stand is a let down

Apparently they did but the FAI felt it cost too much or something like that, I read it somewhere a few months ago.

If they knew they were gunna come in under budget they probably would have spent some more and got it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I actually like the small stand- it gives the stadium a bit of character and makes it unique from all the other eggboxes you see around Europe. Plus, if they put all the away fans in that stand, it should create a great atmosphere.

PS: anyone else think the pitch looks very square? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Irish matches are my life. Sad and all that it is, they are. This stadium is perfect for us.
    Croker has been the most miserable experience, and I've been there on mostly good days as the username should allude to.:D
    The atmosphere was terrible (for the most part), the amount of people that went for the sake of going, and because of the handiness of tickets there were far too many fools at games.
    50k is perfect capacity for the soccer team. The stadium looks brilliant, I can't see how they could have done better with the space they had, and crucially they've kept the stadium in the city. Were going home, and it's fooking deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kingdom wrote: »
    Irish matches are my life. Sad and all that it is, they are. This stadium is perfect for us.
    Croker has been the most miserable experience, and I've been there on mostly good days as the username should allude to.:D
    The atmosphere was terrible (for the most part), the amount of people that went for the sake of going, and because of the handiness of tickets there were far too many fools at games.
    50k is perfect capacity for the soccer team. The stadium looks brilliant, I can't see how they could have done better with the space they had, and crucially they've kept the stadium in the city. Were going home, and it's fooking deadly.
    The main problem with croke park was the distance to the pitch it was huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have to agree with Kingdom. Croke Park was horrible in my opinion. The only time I like Croke Park is when I'm in the Hill looking into a beautiful stadium on Dublin days bursting to go the toilet cause I've drank too much beer. If your in any of the other stands it just looks **** to me.

And 50,000 at Irish games will create a much better atmosphere than Croke Park could ever do. It'll be a passionate 50,000. Those who raced to get a ticket and weren't just handed it the day before cause it was going spare.

The only good thing about the small stand for me will be that the away support will be in it. It will feel like we're towaring over them. Least the English can't rip it up and through it on top of anyone now. Well maybe only Shay Given.

You know whats weird tho? I think they rotated the stadium 90 degrees when they rebuilt it which means one of the big stands on the sides of the pitch were knocked down and now its the midget stand. Surely the old big stands cast a bigger shadow.????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Kingdom wrote: »
    Tell me why if it's perfect are there 10k+ people still on a waiting list for tickets?

Massive fail in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

GSPfan wrote: »
    It'll be a passionate 50,000.
    Maybe a passionate 35,000 if we're lucky due to the amount of corporate (premium) seating, granted some of these will be passionate but basing my opinions on other stadium with the same facilities they will be few and far between.

As it is the FAI are going to come crawling back to people on the waiting list to fill them as they are massively unsold at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i agree with kingdom. the atmosphere will be great, croker was crap although it does the job well for GAA, not sure the little stand is a good place for away fans, should always try and keep em away from the pitch in my opinion - less noticeable to our boys then etc but anyway its a lot better than we have had, hope the atmosphere is electric!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement