Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aviva Stadium complete

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

That small stand is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Someone mentioned it above, but the pitch is really square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

carlop wrote: »
    That small stand is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Someone mentioned it above, but the pitch is really square.
    I thought that dwarf stand was going to be behind one of the goals but I'm confused a little by that pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It is behind one of the goals. You can't get the right dimensions from a photo. I'm sure the pitch ain't square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Landsdowne Road had a capacity of 36,000 for football, this has a capacity of 50,000.

Whats the problem? I think 50,000 is perfect.

In Croker the only two matches that sold out were Italy and the playoff against France the rest were around the 40,000 mark. The Montenegro match pulled in around 30,000.

Plus when they fail to sell the premium seats which we all know the will fail to do, they'll probably go to people on the waitlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

PCros wrote: »
    Landsdowne Road had a capacity of 36,000 for football, this has a capacity of 50,000.

In Croker the only two matches that sold out were Italy and the playoff against France the rest were around the 40,000 mark. The Montenegro match pulled in around 30,000.

The problem is that the stadium looks half-finished.

I also think there's no problem in having a stadium that's a little too big as opposed to one that is a little too small.

When you factor rugby into consideration, where the capacity has increased by 1,000 and the demand is definitely there, the capacity begins to verge on the farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

carlop wrote: »
    I also think there's no problem in having a stadium that's a little too big as opposed to one that is a little too small.

Until of course you end up having to pimp it out to pay for it... like this lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The capacity for the new stadium was probably the maximum they could get out of that site? It was either that or move somewhere with more space. I for one am glad they stayed where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The problem is that the capacity for the ordinary Joe has remained the same. Offering 14 people tickets off the 10k waiting list is hardly a sign of perfection is it?
    Thats incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

To demolish Havelock square would have cost a ridiculous amount of money. Even if they wanted to the FAI probably couldn't afford it, have they even sold their premium boxes yet? Plus they're happy with the size of the stadium. In 50 years, the site reverts back to the IRFU so who knows what will happen then as regards stadiums.

• Advertisement

themont85 wrote: »
    50 years, the site reverts back to the IRFU so who knows what will happen then as regards stadiums.
    Thank God we're only tied into it for 50 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Does anyone not think they could have fitted a few more seats into the north stand? Even to just add a bit more depth and alter the walkway. (Just behind the red box in the picture)

Also do you think its possible that you will get a good view from every seat in the stadium. ( I have circled possible problem areas)

Maybe Im wrong but I have my doubts. Ive a feeling the roof could get in the way at times? anyone else think this is possible?

Other than that, I like it! It will defo generate a better atmosphere than croker as the crowd is much closer to the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

GSPfan wrote: »
    You know whats weird tho? I think they rotated the stadium 90 degrees when they rebuilt it which means one of the big stands on the sides of the pitch were knocked down and now its the midget stand. Surely the old big stands cast a bigger shadow.????

I seem to remember at the start of the project they were talking about rotating the stadium. But it's still in the same orientation now. The biggest stands on the east and west, beside the dart and the river. The outside perimeter of the stadium is different though - much wider east/west with the training pitches gone - maybe that's what they were talking about.

For me, there's no problem with the tiny north stand, sort of adds a bit of character. My real concerns are:

The capacity, which is maybe more of an issue for the rugby games. And probably won't be a football problem as long as most of the ''premium'' seats end up being sold to actual fans, probably the people on the waiting list.

The view from the top rows. I've yet to see the conclusive proof of what the view is like from the highest seats at the halfway line but if the view is obstructed by that roof support then the whole project will have been an epic failure imo. We'll be a laughing stock if our ''modern'' stadium doesn't have unobstructed views from every seat.

Pro. F wrote: »
    The capacity, which is maybe more of an issue for the rugby games. And probably won't be a football problem as long as most of the ''premium'' seats end up being sold to actual fans, probably the people on the waiting list.
    At premium prices, which of course is a problem to the ordinary fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0514/breaking47.html?via=mr

I'm confused form that picture. Isn't that small stand going to be behind a goal? From that picture the pitch looks wider than it is long :confused:

Is this going to be like Croker with loads of space between the pitch and the stands?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Thats incorrect.

Apologies:

Cyprus 55,000
    Georgia 45,000
    Bulgaria 66,000
    Montenegro 36,000

Average is 50,000

Besides the Argentina friendly we have Russia, so far, as the only decent team we will play in the next two years, the likes of Macedonia, Armenia and Andorra will not pull in 50,000+, not in this economic environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The Ray Houghton comments are hilarious:
    Former international footballer Ray Houghton said he would do anything to have played in the first game - and would consider giving up his historic goal against England.

'It was a great privilege and pleasure to play for Ireland and score that goal against England, but I'd give up a lot of that to play the first game here, that's for sure,' he said.

'It's a world-class facility and anyone who comes here will be overwhelmed. We're going to have some fantastic games and some fantastic memories in the future.'

I wonder how much he was paid to come out with that!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0514/lansdowneroad_aviva.html

. Offering 14 people tickets off the 10k waiting list is hardly a sign of perfection is it?

Where did you here this from?

50,000+, not in this economic environment.
    Thats the sort of short sightedness we see all too often in this country.

The arguments is not about this economic environment, we are talking about long term here. Long term. :mad:

I'm not even sure your short term current economic environment stands as clearly there is more demand already than there is capacity (see waiting list numbers)

Where did you here this from?
    I have checked and the number of people is in fact 27.

I have seen the letter from the FAI which they sent to waiting list members.

I'm not even sure your short term current economic environment stands as clearly there is more demand already than there is capacity (see waiting list numbers)

Beggers cannot be choosers though, the matches I mentioned above went on general sale aswell and still they couldnt manage to get over 50,000 into two of those games.

You see the point I'm trying to make?

• Advertisement

Beggers cannot be choosers though, the matches I mentioned above went on general sale aswell and still they couldnt manage to get over 50,000 into two of those games.

You see the point I'm trying to make?
    The arguments is nothing about general sale, or the fly by night fans. I agree you can't keep capacity open for people who seldom go and 50,000 to 60,000 is the right capacity. However the capacity of this stadium is 35,000 for Joe Public.

The argument is that current block booking members, plus all the waiting list members who purchased in Croke Park for four years of which there was 10,000 approx (tickets) can't be accommodated in the new stadium.

Do you agree this is a problem? A problem which could have been avoided.

What other business do you know of that turn away revenue by self imposed restrictions that could have been avoided?

Add to this UEFA want full segregation of home and away fans in the new stadium so the unused seats in the north stand can't be given to home fans anymore like they once were.

Do you agree this is a problem? A problem which could have been avoided.

Totally agree. As I mentioned in a previous post today, I can see those premium seats being turned back into normal joe blogg seats which would be the right decision.

Not a chance that the FAI will sell all of those, maybe they would have 3 or 4 years ago but not now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They should rename it the Jeremy Beadle stadium.

But seriously I think 50k is grand, should be a good place to see a game.

Totally agree. As I mentioned in a previous post today, I can see those premium seats being turned back into normal joe blogg seats which would be the right decision.

Not a chance that the FAI will sell all of those, maybe they would have 3 or 4 years ago but not now anyway.
    Pity they will probably go at premium prices which is exploitation of the average fan (if it does happen).

What irks me most if that if you do that maths you can see that block booking numbers have increased greatly since moving back to the new stadium (circa 28k to 35k), yet only 27 moved off the waiting list.

Even taking into account sponsors it's clear the FAI have shafted some of the people who provided them with a guaranteed revenue stream in Croke Park. These waiting list people weren't all realistically looking to be accommodated of course, but sending them a letter stating 27 people were onto the full list is beyond excuse.

Maybe 50,000 capacity would be sufficient if the configuration of ticket allocation was different, the fact remains it's not sufficient.

I can only imagine the nightmare for Rugby fans.

Maybe 50,000 capacity would be sufficient if the configuration of ticket allocation was different, the fact remains it's not sufficient.

Yep allocation needs to be sorted for sure, I just hope nobody buys premium seats so they have to scrap them, that will be a start at least.

Anyone know how much they will charge for tickets this time round? Forking out €100 for two games was breaking my heart.

Considering a portion of that went to GAA, we should see the price reduced? Right?:confused:

Yep allocation needs to be sorted for sure, I just hope nobody buys premium seats so they have to scrap them, that will be a start at least.

Anyone know how much they will charge for tickets this time round? Forking out €100 for two games was breaking my heart.

Considering a portion of that went to GAA, we should see the price reduced? Right?:confused:
    They have been boasting about how they are keeping prices at the same levels as Croke Park (which already was too expensive)..... in a recession!

I hope to God they are actually going to introduce a range of prices like we see in most European stadias to cater for corner seats, halfway line seats, seats low down with poor view etc.., Having a split purely on upper/lower/behind goal/on sideline is just not sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

CSF wrote: »
    Would congratulate but the FAI are the lowest form of dirt around so I won't bother.

Yet you took the time to post this childish rant. :mad:

It just struck me that you can't spell fail without the FAI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Yet you took the time to post this childish rant. :mad:

That you, John?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Is the Stadium tour open?

Any ideas how much it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Out of interest lads, if the north stand was completed a la the south stand, what would the capacity be in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

its a replica of arsenals emirates stadium except for the small end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Isn't it the north stand thats small?
    Since the sun goes east,south,west during the day, what effect would thats have on sunlight from the north? :confused:
    sunlight from the north??? so the sun light will be coming from the south (mainly) it will pass over the south stand which will cast a shadow on the pitch, then the light will hit the north stand casting a smaller shadow on the houses north of the north stand. If the north stand was much bigger it would cast a much bigger shadow on more houses! I'm sure you just got a bit confused when thinking about it there ;)

Anyway as for the small north stand, yeah it looks abit shiit but on the plus side:
    > keep away fans well away from the home
    > most likely provides the stand with wind which is very important for the grass to grow strong and many other stadiums in the world have a problem with this.
    >erm thats all i got...damn those residents

I'll be waiting on a proper competitive game though, not gonna line their pockets with €50+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Out of interest lads, if the north stand was completed a la the south stand, what would the capacity be in that case?

At a guess 60,000 ,probably an extra 10,000 seats behind that goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0514/breaking47.html?via=mr

First pic I've seen of the completed stadium, what an absolute joke that tiny stand is at one end!!! Typical Irish, pure half arsed job, its totally laughable!!! That looks utterly utterly SHíT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

with regard to the roof struts blocking the view, i reckon that picture is taken from pretty high up near the nosebleeds and as you can see, they dont block any of the view.

I'd say it'll probably be fine! Using Old trafford as an example,

You can see all the pitch
    Stand across the pitch looks blocked
    Another angle

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I was there on saturday morning for an induction course for Stewards.

We got to walk around the sideline on the way out. Beautiful structure. The perspex panels give it so much more light(unlike the oppressive gloom of Croker) and it feels so intimate with the stands so close to the action.

I cannot wait for the first rubgy/football games in July and August respectively...:)

Paul MCM wrote: »
    Is the Stadium tour open?

Any ideas how much it is?

There will be an 'open day' next month where everyone is invited to check out the new stadium...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

At a guess 60,000 ,probably an extra 10,000 seats behind that goal.
    Was thinking about that much alright so even in the future it probably would'nt be economical to finish it off like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i like the new staduim design and even the small stand is starting to grow on me, imagine the wall of noise visiting teams will hear, you will hardly be able to hear the away fans sitting there.

only two grumbles i have would be (i) seating in the top to rows of the nose bleed section, might be just the camera angles, but there is potentional to lose sight of the ball mainly during high goal kicks, or if at a rugby match, when garyowens, drop goals or penalties are taken. and (ii) vantage club and the IRFU equilvalent. the rugby version has sold very well, vantage club not as well, why didn't the stadium managment look after this them selfs, similar to what wembley done, ie, you buy a premium/box or even a general seat for a 10 year period that allows you access to both selceted rugby and football plus selected other events or first preference on them and they (stadium managment) pay the different codes their entitlment, rather than the seperate FAI or IRFU deals which only look after them selfs.

on a plus note again, really looking forward to visiting it, regardless of the event, thinking of the FAI cup final my self.

We got to walk around the sideline on the way out. Beautiful structure. The perspex panels give it so much more light(unlike the oppressive gloom of Croker)
    I don't think the comparison is fare. Croker was designed 20 years ago when architectural merits were different.

I don't think the comparison is fare. Croker was designed 20 years ago when architectural merits were different.

I'm merely highlighting the contrasts in natrual lighting...

I'm merely highlighting the contrasts in natrual lighting...
    We'll see how the Aviva stadium is in 20 years time.

We'll see how the Aviva stadium is in 20 years time.

Assuming there's still a sun this planet revolves around i'd say she'll look pretty nippy... Croker really isn't ageing well. The seat colouring doesn't help...

Assuming there's still a sun this planet revolves around i'd say she'll look pretty nippy... Croker really isn't ageing well. The seat colouring doesn't help...
    Your presume the outside panels age well and are cleaned of course, they do look excellent now so let hope they are kept in tip top shape.

Functionality over aesthetics for me time and time again anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm guessing that "It was announced on 14 May that another soccer international friendly will be played between Republic of Ireland and England on the September 12th" on the stadium's Wikipedia page is bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm guessing that "It was announced on 14 May that another soccer international friendly will be played between Republic of Ireland and England on the September 12th" on the stadium's Wikipedia page is bull****.

i would safely say thats a wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

adamski8 wrote: »
    sunlight from the north??? so the sun light will be coming from the south (mainly) it will pass over the south stand which will cast a shadow on the pitch, then the light will hit the north stand casting a smaller shadow on the houses north of the north stand. If the north stand was much bigger it would cast a much bigger shadow on more houses! I'm sure you just got a bit confused when thinking about it there ;)
    I thank you even though I don't remember typing that :o

Advertisement