Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She's suddenly destructive!

Options
  • 14-05-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

My lovely little doggie who is normally a very passive and happy little girl has taken to destruction in the garden.
    We set a few flowers and over the past week she has pulled all of them out of the ground. It's like murder in the garden, daffodil & bluebell bulbs strewn all around the place:)

We did have to move her little kennel during the week as we are starting to do work in the garden/yard so maybe she took exception to this but other than this I can only conclude that she is bored.

So any suggestions (pls do not get sanctimonious as she is left on her own when we go to work as this was not a problem until last week).
    She is an old(ish) girl so isn't into the squeeky toy sort of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The newly planted bulbs are a novelty to her she just likes digging them up doesn't mean she's bored I know digging and breaking stuff can mean a dog is bored but sometimes it's just fun for them.
    Fencing off the area might work, with just a mini fence or chicken wire.

Perhaps distraction by giving her an area of the garden of her own to dig in although she might think it's ok to dig everywhere then.
    Or fill some kongs for her while you are out.

I think it's sweet that an old girl can get up to mischief lol mabey just let her have her fun although some bulbs can be toxic to dogs so make sure she's not eating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've seen on TV for destructive dogs that if you give them a big cardboard box, fill it with shredded paper, and things like a raw hide chew, some treats, some toys, maybe some more boxes inside with treats in them, and fold up the top of the box, and leave her with it for the day and she can destroy that for the day. Maybe it'd work, because she could dig in the box too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

She is helping. :D

Boil some beef/chicken. Get a cong, put a stopper in one hole, stand it upright, fill broth into kong and put in freezer.

Lots of entertainment ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Great advise from you all thanks.
    I'll get working on a plan to distract her later today.
    She really is a great little girl and it is quite sweet that she's still a bit cheeky...I wouldn't change her for the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

What breed is your dog? I ask because our eldest - a lab/collie cross - has never shown any interest in digging up or eating (except for stickybacks) plants, but the two terriers have to be locked in during planting time as they follow me round the garden digging up everything I plant. Also, both terriers are Michaelmas Daisy addicts. The senior destroyed 3 in a year by eating the leaves and the junior is now nibbling the leaves of the remaining one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Well funnily she is a terrier of sorts :)
    She's a long legged, wired haired terrier who's Mammy or Daddy may have been a Spaniel as she has the "spots" to suggest this but mostly terrier.

I'll just have to buy her a gardening set to encourage her new hobby :D

Advertisement