Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

largest calibre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

ezridax wrote: »
    Thats madness.

That hasn't stopped them before.

anything 7.62 mm in a rifle bolt action or under holding no more than 5 rounds.
    Anything else is Restricted and a purpose has to be shown to DOJ/gardaí for reason for having.

That's so full of half-truths and items taken out of context as to be almost complete b*ll*x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    That's so full of half-truths and items taken out of context as to be almost complete b*ll*x

there it is in context then so, anything over .308 in rifle is restricted

(2) This subparagraph relates to the following firearms:
    (a) single-shot or repeating short firearms capable of discharging only
    blank ammunition;
    (b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them
    incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—
    (i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or
    (ii) with a pistol grip, or
    (iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;
    (c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):
    (i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not
    exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length
    is greater than 90 centimetres,

(ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms
    designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine
    having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,
    (iii) air-operated rifled or smoothbore firearms;
    (d) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;
    (e) the following short firearms designed for use in connection with competitions
    governed by International Olympic Committee regulations:
    (i) air-operated firearms of 4.5 millimetres (.177 inch) calibre,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

there it is in context then so, anything over .308 in rifle is restricted

(c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):
    (i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not
    exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length
    is greater than 90 centimetres,

Where's the 5 round limit you spoke of? :p

rrpc wrote: »
    Where's the 5 round limit you spoke of? :p

I was misquoting scripture, with so much of it these days hard to remember it all.:P

Even a person like you should know that.;)

• Advertisement

It's in the section he chopped off, to do with Olympic pistols.

And it doesn't say bolt action

And you'll need to do more than show "purpose"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

with so much of it these days hard to remember it all.
    First lesson in the ISSF Judge course?
    "Don't try to remember it, memory isn't as good as ink. Here's a nice waistcoat with a rulebook-sized pocket" :D

Now, you try the waistcoat bit with the Firearms Act and you'll look like the Michelin Man, but you get the idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,359 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

anything 7.62 mm in a rifle bolt action or under holding no more than 5 rounds.
    Anything else is Restricted and a purpose has to be shown to DOJ/gardaí for reason for having.
    Restricted isn't the same as banned, so saying that 7.62 is the upper limit silly.
    rowa wrote: »
    a better system would have been to have an upper limit on kinetic energy.
    The problem is that calibre is fixed in relation to each firearm, energy isn't and varies based on the bullet,
    It would be a silly system where a firearm becomes restricted when used with certain ammo.

Mellor wrote: »
    Restricted isn't the same as banned, so saying that 7.62 is the upper limit silly.

The problem is that calibre is fixed in relation to each firearm, energy isn't and varies based on the bullet,
    It would be a silly system where a firearm becomes restricted when used with certain ammo.

I said restricted you said the latter, in regards to ammo and silly systems I DID NOT make the systems or propose them if they are true

I have a mod on a centrefire restricted but S is on my licence!
    I never said it was the upper limit, they did! before it becomes restricted

I also have a glock model 22 restricted!

i never said banned, I was answering the question as close to the letter of the law as I could quote, in the end I had to revert to the SI's as they have changed over the years hard to keep up to speed:cool:

I have seen the rules change a lot in other aspects of my social life so nothing surprises me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

moderators are not restricted, either rimfire or centrefire. That restriction was removed in a subsequent amendment to the legislation.

• Advertisement

moderators are not restricted, either rimfire or centrefire. That restriction was removed in a subsequent amendment to the legislation.

As I said to may SI's on the go! How's a guy to keep up to speed

The glock is deffo on the restricted list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,359 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The original question was what is the largest a civie can own. It was worth mentioning the RL but I thought you should of been clearer, many people have rifles above above the RL limit, I heard of a .50 rifle a guy was granted. For African hunting, maybe it's exaggered but that's the largest I've heard of

Mellor wrote: »
    The original question was what is the largest a civie can own. It was worth mentioning the RL but I thought you should of been clearer, many people have rifles above above the RL limit, I heard of a .50 rifle a guy was granted. For African hunting, maybe it's exaggered but that's the largest I've heard of

I was telling folk the truth, what one could license relatively easily and simply. The latter is the stuff of I know a lad who had a such and such.......

I gave the folks the SI and let them decide as it is so complicated these days, the common sense approach is not that common;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 98b

For your attn,

The current largest calibre LICENCED by a civilian in the Republic is a .577 nitro express . It is a double barrel breech loading sidelock .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

98b wrote: »
    For your attn,

The current largest calibre LICENCED by a civilian in the Republic is a .577 nitro express . It is a double barrel breech loading sidelock .

Any further info as to how and why the person got a license for this gun would be very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 98b

Patsat,

Again as in other forums, info cannot always be divulged as any specific details could identify the licence holder.
    Suffice it to say that the application was made on behalf of an individual who makes annual, bi-annual trips to Africa, in pursuit of large game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Somone with alot of money then about 20K plus :eek:,and somone else with a lot of info missing pertinent information.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Patsat,

Again as in other forums, info cannot always be divulged as any specific details could identify the licence holder.
    Suffice it to say that the application was made on behalf of an individual who makes annual, bi-annual trips to Africa, in pursuit of large game.

Point taken!

Was in africa when i was 11 years old for a wedding and had the opportunity to go out hunting with the farmer we were staying with(in-laws)! My father shot a few Kudu and ever since then i always wanted to go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

For your attn,

did he get a letter with his renewal telling him he can't fire it in this country though ?

did he get a letter with his renewal telling him he can't fire it in this country though ?
    Well he can't anyway. There isn't a single range in this country authorised for that calibre.

Not much in the way of elephants either :D

• Advertisement

Well he can't anyway. There isn't a single range in this country authorised for that calibre.

yeah but you're assuming that the local super/chief super knows that in the first place.

yeah but you're assuming that the local super/chief super knows that in the first place.
    Are you suggesting the applicant would try and pull a 'fast one'?

Very naughty! :p

Are you suggesting the applicant would try and pull a 'fast one'?

Very naughty! :p

absolutely not , but i am suggesting that the average gardai's knowledge of all things to do with firearms and shooting starts at the abismal and goes south real quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hmmm have you looked recently at two of our politicans?
    Plus plenty of dinosaurs up there as well.:D:D:D
    Actually he "could"fire 20 or 16 Ga shotgun shells from it as well.Forget which.It is close enough to a 20or 16 GA shotgun cartridge in diameter,or so I am told.I have seen a double rifle /shotgun,made for one of these,a nice set of 20GA barrels to swop for the 460 Weatherby rifle.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

caliber isn't everything and calibre isn't proportional to muzzle energy, i think it was very short sighted of the minister and doj to restrict calibres over .308, it means relatively low powered pistol rounds e.g..38spl and .44 etc used in lever actioned rifles with around 1000ft/lbs are restricted , while if you shoot target rifle or deer you can buy a .300 win/weatherby mag with over 3500 ft/lbs and thats not restricted , doesn't make sense. irish logic again !
    a better system would have been to have an upper limit on kinetic energy.

Not to mention restricting practically every black powder rifle and muzzle-loader :mad:. No Baker rifle repro for me.

Advertisement