Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the lightstone

• 14-05-2010 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭

Anyone read the David Zindell's- Lightstone series?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah I've read 3 of the 4 books in the Ea cycle (haven't read "Diamond Warriors" yet).

I'm not a huge fan to be honest. The fantasy elements, particularly in the first book, are standard. The world isn't that interesting. The gelestei aren't a bad concept but I just don't find them gripping.
    What's a bit better is the morality in the book. Few fantasy books have characters engaging in introspection, or such raw emotion, as we have here. There's a strong element of philosophy over the nature of good and evil and how we define it. At times it can be laid on a bit too thick.

If you can, read his "Requiem for Homo Sapiens" trilogy, and the prequel "Neverness". It explores many of the same themes, with interesting takes on violence, but has a more interesting universe and plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Nice one for the advice :)

I agree with a lot you said, what was interesting in the book was certain references he made in the book to chakras, kundalini, and the Heart Lotus etc, aspects of which can be found in Hinduism, buddhism and mystic christianity. The diamond warriors is quite good too, the usual big battle head to head with the forces of good and evil, though there's a lovely twist at the end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I agree with a lot you said, what was interesting in the book was certain references he made in the book to chakras, kundalini, and the Heart Lotus etc, aspects of which can be found in Hinduism, buddhism and mystic christianity.
    There's a lot of that then in the trilogy I mentioned. There's concepts of ascension through purity of thought and reconciling ones flaws and strengths. There's very interesting thoughts on the nature of violence and pacificism - something you'd see in Buddhism.
    It's the most spiritual sci-fi I've read and was quite fascinating, despite the fact that I'm an aetheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I'll have to get to the library soon so, It's funny I've been reading fantasy novels for years and was looking for something on these lines recently as was getting tired of similar plots and layouts, although each just as fascinating as the other. Once again thanks for the Heads up.

Advertisement