Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Dish

Options
  • 14-05-2010 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there, did anyone else in Charlesland receive a letter from Wyse today saying that they must remove their sky dish within the next 2 weeks or else they would come and remove them.

Does anyone know if they can legally do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Yeah, they can legally do that - It's built into the management agreement by the management company. Apparently, it brings down the look of the area!!! We are also not allowed to have clothes drying on our balconys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wenners

Thanks for that, the question now will everyone comply and take them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

ASAIK it was agreed at the last Grove/Park AGM that dishes can be put up on the BACK of houses but residents have to inform the Management Co. in advance of the dish going up, so it may depend on where your dish is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Wenners wrote: »
    Hi there, did anyone else in Charlesland receive a letter from Wyse today saying that they must remove their sky dish within the next 2 weeks or else they would come and remove them.

When Sky came round and sold me mine they said they had cleared it with the management company.

Lumbarda & Ciaran67, thanks for the info will check both out tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 barnesa

G'day Wenners,

You'll be pleased to know that I'm in Charlesland Park and I received permission from the management agency to have a Sky dish installed, installation is scheduled for this coming Tuesday. All it took was an email to them requesting permission, then filling in a quick form, then waiting for the Directors to review and approve.

It was all very painless, friendly and easy. The person I dealt with was Katie from Kennedy Wright, she was really very helpful! The contact details are at --> http://www.kennedywright.ie/ContactUs.aspx

I hope that this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

I dont think anyone cares once they are on the back of the house. I have to admit if they were on the front of houses all over the place id help with the removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

coolhandd wrote: »
    I dont think anyone cares once they are on the back of the house. I have to admit if they were on the front of houses all over the place id help with the removal.

they are on the front of many houses in C Wood - this is why the management co. is keen to take action.

In most cases it should be possible to get the dish erected using an offset bracket on the back of the house. What the management company should do is negotiate a group rate with some dish installer to get all the offending dishes moved to the rear of the houses, and then contact householders with a quote. Anyone who doesn't sign up to have their dish moved, will have it removed. At least then they'd be offfering a solution, rather than being confrontational about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

coolhandd wrote: »

You need planning permission from Wicklow Co Co to put dishes up on the front of houses, regardless of what the Management Company has in place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You need planning permission from Wicklow Co Co to put dishes up on the front of houses, regardless of what the Management Company has in place

thats a regulation that is almost universally unenforced though - you can see front-mounted dishes in virtually every street and housing estate in the country.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    they are on the front of many houses in C Wood - this is why the management co. is keen to take action.

In most cases it should be possible to get the dish erected using an offset bracket on the back of the house. What the management company should do is negotiate a group rate with some dish installer to get all the offending dishes moved to the rear of the houses, and then contact householders with a quote. Anyone who doesn't sign up to have their dish moved, will have it removed. At least then they'd be offfering a solution, rather than being confrontational about it.

From what I remember seeing, Sky have the ability to install a single Sky Dish on (for example) apartment blocks so that the one dish can service multiple locations. I'm assuming that this could be used for Terraced Houses too.

I think, again from memory, that in the last Management meeting, the Board were going to look into getting this organised with Sky - or at least request this be done for people from apartments who requested a Sky Dish

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

We are in Eden Gate and the same situation applies, no dish on the front or back.
    We, and our neighbours have them on the wall in the back garden so they are visible only to us.
    It seems to work well.

However, I dont know how the apartments fair in this

Hope thats of some help

Thank you all for your advice, I will let you know how we get on ;)

You're more than welcome. I had my dish installed today and Sky+HD is now live! It's AWESOME! Much better quality than NTL, and cheaper too!

Just a couple of observations that might help you:
    • Don't forget that NTL want 30 days *written* (as in snail-mail) notice before they'll stop billing you
    • You'll need a phone-line active in order to get Sky+HD - if you only have the point in the front room working, then you can buy a Wireless Phone Jack from http://tvtrade.ie/show/212,RTX-Wireless-Phone-Jack-Base-unit - this worked perfectly for me
    • Depending on they layout of your house, the installation guys may need health and safety approval to get up onto the small roof. It was OK for me, but apparently the health and safety regulations are under review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

barnesa wrote: »
    Don't forget that NTL want 30 days *written* (as in snail-mail) notice before they'll stop billing you

The crap i went through getting rid of NTL. They kept sending me bills after I had written to them and had them remove their equipment. Every time I rang them to say, ive got another bill, they'd reply, just ignore it. Stop sending them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

also for a sky dish or any satellite dish to go up on the front of your house, legally you require planning permission.

the management company have the absolute right to remove these dishes.

Bear in mind, if they do it you'll get charged for it in your fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Wenners wrote: »

well Wenners, did they come and take down the dish?

Advertisement