Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share yer stories/experiences

• 15-05-2010 12:29am

Hey guys, Having read the Pope's post on his fashion show experience I found it really enjoyable.

So I was wondering if any one else has any first-time stories? Times when you were taking photos for someone or the likes, and everything just went disastrous or great.

(I can't really get the ball rolling as I don't have any experience taking photos for anyone else, nor have I ever been under pressure to take a photo - I'm still strolling along at my own pace and chasing the emergency services, so I don't have anything to kick off with, sadly!)

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

First time experiences.... I was too nervous about all that was going on I forgot to take out the camera.;):p

cold.gif

:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

got an opportunity to get a photo with david lachapelle, in depth convo with the guy 9 i was blushing with glee the whole time) then i asked for a photo, slr was dead, so needed to use my friends p and s... it was traumatising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

1st time experience.................1. Make sure you have protection. 2. Make sure you know your equipment. 3. Push all the right buttons. 4. Don't shoot too soon. 5. .....oh I could go on & on & on (about the camera that is, ye dirty minded cretans) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

So I was wondering if any one else has any first-time stories? Times when you were taking photos for someone or the likes, and everything just went disastrous or great.

I still remember the cold sweats of the first wedding I shot. Nerves almost got the better of me, ended up shooting 700 shots and getting free with the libations late that night. A touch of the Bridezilla and it could all have gone terribly wrong. But it didn't.

I also recall the first beauty session with similar horror, neither the model nor the photog (me) had a clue. I tend to babble when I'm nervous, just to fill in the gaps, I also remember the room being very warm and my shirt plastered to my back with the righteous sweat of fear. I also am not good at remembering names, all these things conspired against me; the nervous, twitchy guy who didn't know his aℛse from his elbow.

I believe golfers get the yips, but I reserve a special place in my heart for photographer's yips. Thankfully, they're abating with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

My first photo shoot was (thankfully) an unpaid favour for a friend several years ago.

Things I learned the hard way on the day:

- 2 GB is certainly not enough for a photo shoot, especially in raw. About 80 (?) shots in I had to stop and delete all my raw files so that I could continue shooting. nice one :rolleyes:

- do not change lenses on a beach on a windy day

- check things are working every once in a while on the lcd - that's what it's there for. You don't want to have done 80 shots at the wrong iso/aperture/shutter speed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Shooting a wedding with a large family shot in the process, the wind picked up and blew the brides hair all over the place, covering her eyes. Without thinking i said to the the bride - Ahh.. Do you want to sort yourself out? Meaning her hair, Cue a large group stirring it up with the OOOOhh's. I was very lucky i got away with it.

Just in the door a few hours from todays wedding.
    I've just found out that your not supposed to record the part where the priest is doing the Eucharist. (i took two shots, but I'll hold my hands up and say i never knew this) Apparently the priest gave me a dirty look, a couple of older ladies ( + 60's) were giving me the low down while out having a smoke. I had to thank them for this big time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I stepped from a cab in the city on a Teusday night only to find a pair of naff, slutty, cheap ladies sandels. I popped them in my pocket (thinking: "sure you never know"). Further pints of beer ensued.

The next morning I awoke to find that a lady had been killed in the Phoenix Park and that murder got me thinking: "hrrrrrrmmumprh ye bollix, sure take thee new found shoes to the murder scene". Well I thought about it....and did it. I thought the shoes would look good against a murder scene back drop. I took the newly found shoes to the murder scene with the idea that a stranger's slutty shoes would look smart against a murder scene. See? All normal enough.

Ok...that's not super brainy.

On the way up the hill I realised that every murderer re-visits the crime scene. I thought of this....about 20 seconds before I reached the Gardai.

To recap: found shoes, woman murdered, photoshoot possabilties, me in park with shoes at crime scene = naturally enough, quizzical gadai.

Ok...not great.

So on way to area the Garda on point duty at the crime scene catches my eye and pulls me in. He looks in the window and sees the shoes on the passenger seat and then explains that the area is sealed off and pending invesigation.
    Looking in my window and seeing the pair of sluts shoes on the passenger seat, he asks..."WTF like?." I cleverly respond..."exercises". He takes my details.

A U-turn, and off I go...fretting a little...I kept view of the pig in the mirror until something else caught my eye...A deer!
    Right beside me was a deer, feck this, I'll hockey the sluts shoes (or slutty shoes) at the deer and get a snap. No point in wasting a journey. So holding the camera in my right hand (I'm a lefty) and flinging the tart's shoes with my left hand in order to whack the deer, I walloped the camera from my hand with the shoes (so I throw shoes and only succeed in knocking the camera from my hand). The camera went flying but was luckily on a wrist strap. Which meant the camera only went flyng from my hand and then ravelled around the wing mirror.

Discombobulated, with camera hanging from strap. I opened the door of the car door and fell on the road only to realise the the Garda hadn't magically disappeared but had in fact drifted
    into my blind spot on my mirrors and had seen this whole sorry affair from about 20ft.

I pcked up the shoes, dusted myself down and mumbled "exercise".

There is no moral to this story...some day I'll tell about the Butterflies in the Phoenix Park...but that story is completely mental and those that do hear it generally need a stiff brandy afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

humberklog wrote: »
    I stepped from a cab in the city on a Teusday night only to find a pair of naff, slutty, cheap ladies sandels. I popped them in my pocket (thinking: "sure you never know"). Further pints of beer ensued.

The next morning I awoke to find that a lady had been killed in the Phoenix Park and that murder got me thinking: "hrrrrrrmmumprh ye bollix, sure take thee new found shoes to the murder scene". Well I thought about it....and did it. I thought the shoes would look good against a murder scene back drop. I took the newly found shoes to the murder scene with the idea that a stranger's slutty shoes would look smart against a murder scene. See? All normal enough.

Ok...that's not super brainy.

On the way up the hill I realised that every murderer re-visits the crime scene. I thought of this....about 20 seconds before I reached the Gardai.

To recap: found shoes, woman murdered, photoshoot possabilties, me in park with shoes at crime scene = naturally enough, quizzical gadai.

Ok...not great.

So on way to area the Garda on point duty at the crime scene catches my eye and pulls me in. He looks in the window and sees the shoes on the passenger seat and then explains that the area is sealed off and pending invesigation.
    Looking in my window and seeing the pair of sluts shoes on the passenger seat, he asks..."WTF like?." I cleverly respond..."exercises". He takes my details.

A U-turn, and off I go...fretting a little...I kept view of the pig in the mirror until something else caught my eye...A deer!
    Right beside me was a deer, feck this, I'll hockey the sluts shoes (or slutty shoes) at the deer and get a snap. No point in wasting a journey. So holding the camera in my right hand (I'm a lefty) and flinging the tart's shoes with my left hand in order to whack the deer, I walloped the camera from my hand with the shoes (so I throw shoes and only succeed in knocking the camera from my hand). The camera went flying but was luckily on a wrist strap. Which meant the camera only went flyng from my hand and then ravelled around the wing mirror.

Discombobulated, with camera hanging from strap. I opened the door of the car door and fell on the road only to realise the the Garda hadn't magically disappeared but had in fact drifted
    into my blind spot on my mirrors and had seen this whole sorry affair from about 20ft.

I pcked up the shoes, dusted myself down and mumbled "exercise".

There is no moral to this story...some day I'll tell about the Butterflies in the Phoenix Park...but that story is completely mental and those that do hear it generally need a stiff brandy afterwards.

Brilliant Humberklog,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Not really, I think we have a Killer amongst us. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

standing in a doorway, camera in hand, people watching when an old lady walks up to me.

"can I give you money for a cup of tea love?"

nice lady, but no i'm not homeless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

The first time I heard that HK, I laughed on and off for a few days, often at very inappropriate moments.. You shouldn't have brought it up again tbh :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

once spent 45 minutes politely refusing the advances of a very nice gay man (who was too polite to come out and admit it) while taking long exposure shots at the forty foot. very distracting, but i did get some nice shots in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nothing exciting yet. I did a shoot with the missus out in the back garden last week, fired off about 30 - 40 shots, thinking they looked great from the brief glance at the preview. The light was glorious, golden sunlight as it had just dropped down ... not blinding, nice and soft, perfect.

After taking a longer glance at one shot ... I got the drreaded "No card in slot" ... oops. :o

Thank feck it was just me and herself, how would that have looked if I was doing a shoot for a paying customer!? From now on I check for a card in the slot before going anywhere with the cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I was using a mannequin for a shoot at Poolbeg about this time last year. Thonda was out with me. We were just taking the mannequin out of the back of T's jeep, which was a bit wet from the first photos, so I had him wrapped up in black bin liners, and had the legs of a suit on him... Oh, and I'd kitted most of the boot out with bin liners too, Dexter style.

Que a cop car flying down the strand after seeing two lads in a jeep with a pair of legs and random body parts in bin liner sticking out. We were both suitably wrapped up. It was about 0500 out and still dark. We didn't have a camera in sight.

"Ehhh... Howya Garda..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Oh yes, that was good one ;-)

My shortest photoshoot:
    Me:"Hello, I am ThOnda. And I love taking pictures of pregnant women..."
    Her: slap (not her word, just phonetic synopsis)

Advertisement