Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science teaching?

Options
  • 15-05-2010 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone, anyone know of a course in Ireland that allows you to be a science teacher after it? I know theres two in UL but is there any other ones around the place? I cant seem to find any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 esio trot

science and education in maynooth as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It isn't as simple as "doing a course" in most places. First you need to complete a 4 year bachelor of science at an internationally accredited institution like a University or an IT, and then you need to do a one or two year post-graduate PeD (teaching degree). I know there are some places that train you specifically to be a science teacher, but these are intensive courses where you're essentially doing two degrees at once.

But if you become a physics or chemistry teacher, the rewards (apart from the reward of passing down a knowledge of science) are great- these two are in chronic shortage all over the English speaking world, and so are always in high demand, and in some places they actually get paid more than non-science teachers to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

Look up DC203, physics and chemistry education in dcu. No need for hdip in education. Similar courses in maynooth and in UL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Double check the acceptability of any degree course with the Teaching Council first.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

In DCU there is a PE teaching course with Biology

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

Science Education in DCU.

You can always do a general science degree and go for the hdip after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

There's also the option of doing Chemical Sciences in UCC and in 4th Year doing the teaching option as far as I know. Not sure if the same applies for Bielogical and Chemical Sciences in UCC.

Advertisement