Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - minumum amount of money

Options
  • 15-05-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hey guys. I am going on J1 to America in 2 weeks. Usit say that you need to have about $500 with you if you have a job pre, which I do.

The question is, do they really check in the airport how much money you have with you (please answer if you were asked or know someone who was asked), or is it just a general way to force people to have money invented by USIT. Cause I don't have enough in cash. However, I have a credit card and I will get paid a full month wage in 3 days after I arrive in the US. So, I don't really wanna withdraw money from my credit card and pay the bank fee for it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

php-fox wrote: »
    Hey guys. I am going on J1 to America in 2 weeks. Usit say that you need to have about $500 with you if you have a job pre, which I do.

The question is, do they really check in the airport how much money you have with you (please answer if you were asked or know someone who was asked), or is it just a general way to force people to have money invented by USIT. Cause I don't have enough in cash. However, I have a credit card and I will get paid a full month wage in 3 days after I arrive in the US. So, I don't really wanna withdraw money from my credit card and pay the bank fee for it...

I didn't get asked and neither did my buddies or anyone i know when I did it around 3 years ago. If you had a credit card and maybe a print out of your bank balance or statement or something showing you had some cash that you can access then you have nothing to worry about. They won't ask you either way really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you dont need to prove you have money on you.... USIT advise that you have enough money to pay for a deposit (1 month rent and 1 month deposit) ...as well as enough money to buy food for a couple of weeks.

be prepared to shell out a lot of money on a deposit for a place....which part of USA are you going to ? .... J1 is a great way to enjoy the USA.

I went to Cape Cod (10yrs ago !!!!) .... planning a trip to USA again this year (just a 3 week holiday in Aug/Sept) ..... NY for a week, Vegas for a week and Hawaii for a week....woo hoo.

its usually fairly strict on drink (even if you look over 21 - you'll need ID) .... so house parties and beach parties happen a fair amount - its important that you are contactable (finding out about parties and work etc etc) so a sim card or mobile once you get there is a good idea....just my two cents !!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

Thanks for replies everyone :)

I am going to Tennessee. I am actually going on work experience to a multinational company. I am renting an apartment from them. So, they won't be very pushy about the deposit. I am sure, they can wait for 2 days to get it.

I am over 21 :) and I have a driving licence. I think I'll be carrying that with me. Don't like the idea of carrying around the passport and loosing it on one of my drunken nights. It will cost too much to replace it abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Is it a US drivers license? A lot of places won't except it in the US, usually a passport is the only way in unless you have a US id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

After paying for our first month's rent I will have €400 to live off until I find a job and get paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

>>Is it a US drivers license?

No, Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well just be prepared for places to turn down your drivers license. Also, its not that dangerous to bring out your passport, you'd probably look after it better than your drivers license. Just keep it in a safe place!

Advertisement